iMac G5

iMac G5?

• Yes. Already ordered one.

• No. Worse than the Cube.

• Maybe. Will wait and see.

• What iMac? Where's my G5 PowerBook?

• Not Interested

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not sure the woman are going to like it. It lacks the personality, charm and character of the others. This one isn't a cute little colorful gumdrop and it can't stick it's tongue out at you. Sometimes you need a fat bottom girl to make the world go round. Though, who knows we aren't the masses and maybe it will get the rest of the worlds heart racing.

I'd have to see it in person, but I really liked the swivel stand for the last iMacs... I liked being able to move the screen anywhere I want with a touch of my finger. Plus, it looked "cuter".

I don't know about the huge bezel around the screen... it looks like Apple took a step backward with that choice. I'm sure it was necessary, but that's the reason I never liked the older plastic displays... the huge bezel.

Well, I looked at the paris expo pics at http://www.macobserver.com/gallery/Booth-MacG5/IMG_0298

I think I'm gonna change my mind the beefiness of the display for some reason looks macho, like a good old SUV with square thick block lines. I have a feeling like the ipod we are going to see a slew of imac display arms. The one above is cool.. to steel post, then you'll probably have a few ball and socket ones. I hope someone makes a single chrome pole that I can attach into an electrified desk socket eliminating the cord all together. That allso allows for sideways movement and some pivoting. I think Apple is basically saying hey, we'll make the car, you can put whatever rims you want on this bad boy.

After seeing that gallery (tx moav), I feel a lot better about this design. It actually looks pretty slick. They need to put better pics on the Apple site.

I like it. Nice. I want one -- even more than a G5 tower. I don't need all that horsepower. I design websites, program in C, C++ and Java and surf the internet. I'm most definitely a "power user," and I know the ins and outs of Macs and Mac OS X like the best of them, but a dual-processor PowerMac G5 is just showing off. You don't need that much power for PhotoShop, or DreamWeaver, or Flash, or cc/gcc, or anything short of cracking the human genome. It's like an SUV: too big and bulky and powerful to haul the kids around in, but people sure like to use them for that (it's just overkill). Of course, a G5 tower would be faster, but hell -- when you buy a new car, you don't just look at Ferraris, you take into consideration gas mileage and cost and form and longevity and maintenance and suddenly the Hondas look like a better deal... going the fastest isn't always the goal, and with a 1.6/8 GHz G5 in the iMac now, that's plenty of speed for 90% of the people out there.

The iMac G5's form, function and power are perfect for someone like me. I'll have the power of a G5 in a picture-frame sized package. Nice. And GREAT prices, too.

good DTV receiver: eyetv 400. But this will be a darn expensive tv you want to get

Well, if you consider that I recently saw a 19" LCD TV priced at 1199,00 € (and it was a limited-time offer)... I could say that they're giving me the G5 free!

its specs are awesome! and great price. however...i'd want to see one in person, the big apple below the display looks a little ugly to me. I have to say, I didn't see much wrong with the old iMacs' design , but I really want to see this in person, it will probably look much cooler.

I cannot believe that this is in the poll question:

No. Worse than the Cube.

the cube is a sweet machine, and if they were not still pulling several hundred dollars i would buy one used.

I definately like the new imac g5, the only thing i would have to see in person is that they look like they would be tipsy from side to side.

jeffo

Like it. Not as much character as the others, but nice and slick in its own way.

For me, wireless board and mouse are mandatory with the new iMac.

Looks like they're inching closer to G5 laptops with this design.

The only thing that stands out as not too impressive is that video card. Not bad, but definitely not impressive. Acceptable is the word I would use.

Kudos to many of the rumors sites for calling it more or less correctly.

I wonder when Apple will stop providing built-in modems.

Big bonus points to Apple for keeping silence a priority. I hope it's as quiet as they claim.

still getting used to the looks - but a couple of things that struck me straight away...

1) That white block of space below the screen is very distracting! maybe when i've seen one in the flesh the level at which the screen sits is actually lower that it looks in the images.

2) I read that the screen can be removed from the stand and wall mounted - thats great apart from the fact that it would then mean you have no access to the ports on the back? - and - wouldnt it have been better to have at least one usb and firewire port on the side of the unit? along with the headphone in socket? - one of my bug bears with any computer it that I have to either climb under my desk or move around the unit to plug something in. If the new imac is indeed the ideal computer for iLife then quick and easy access to those ports is surely a must.

other than that...

apple have shown again that they are the best innovators of tech.

If you hang it on the wall, you're likely not going to use the headphone jack. I'm sure the wireless options will be big sellers. Add a wireless keyboard and mouse and AirPort Express and all you would need is the power plug.

ew. I don't like it. It's just a thick laptop connected to a swivel. There's no part of me that really likes this iteration whatsoever.

I LOVE IT.

It is the best design i have seen in a wile. I was very worried when i heard that Apple were going to use the Sony Viao Design, because that is UGLY!! But this is wonderful. The white space under the monitor, is strange, but i could get used to it. I can defiantly see the iMac G5 as a worthy successor to the G4 model, it is the next evolution.

What this on the front page (imac page) about mounting it on the wall? How? is it practical?

Overall i think that it is a brilliant idea, I agree that they had to totally change the design, it would be the only way to go.

Browni

Like alot of folks I'll have to see it in person first.But otherwise it really isn't a huge departure from the G4 generation" looks" wise I mean.Really I think I could grow to like it.

I've been whining about the state of Apple's offerings for a while (basically since January), and I have to say, this model helps fill the void a bit. In fact...Next month I'm going to sell the G4 and get one.

I think the styling could be better (boring and boxy isn't my thing, I'd rather take the styling of my sleek, curvy G4 tower over my G5 tower any day), but it pretty much ends up being the perfect system for me.

I've been saving up for a 20" widescreen LCD, which was going to cost me between $1100 and $1300 anyway. The G4 has always been just a bit too slow for me. A 1.6Ghz G5 would be enough horsepower for me to do everything I do at home.

I'm not a big fan of the all-in-one units (despite having just bought my new in-laws an eMac), though the form factor on this system is just...well...perfect.

I should be able to get $1000-$1100 for the G4, and the only question is whether I want to go with the 17" or the 20" model? I'd much rather have the larger screen, but I think justifying the extra $600 with the little woman will be a month-long fight =)

I really wish there was a BTO option here - I really don't need the Superdrive or the 160GB hard drive (I'm planning on moving over my 250GB anyway), and I wish I could select the 1.6Ghz model. I'd GLADLY pay, say, $1499 for a stripped-down 20" model.

Overall I give it an 8.5 out of 10. Normally that wouldn't be enough to convince me to move to a new system, though it scores especially high in the areas important to me right now (value, overall feature balance, screen, and form factor)

Back