iPod Touch: An iPod & Computer In Your Pocket?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
From what I understand the new iPod Touch has the touch screen and horizontal/vertical rotation features like the iPhone ... AND it comes equipped with wi-fi and Safari, ready to surf the Web. According to what I've been reading, it picks up wi-fi signals from any location and you can surf the Web from ANYwhere.

Is it really true??? Are there any drawbacks, catches, gimmicks, etc.? Do you have to buy an account of some sort to access the Internet or can you just buy an iPod Touch and start surfin'?

I feel like I'm dreaming... :) :D

It needs to connect to a B/G network, and it doesn't have all the apps that the iPhone has (yet?) (legally).

But no one has answered my questions. LOL

The iPod Touch IS wireless. That's what I've been reading about: It says it's wireless and it comes with Safari and built-in wi-fi to surf the 'Net.

Does anyone have one yet? How do you like it? Do you need to buy/sign up for some sort of an account to surf the Web or did you just buy the iPod Touch and start surfin'?

I don't care about all the apps that come with iPhone. I have no use for an iPhone. But an iPod Touch (iPod for music + computer to surf the Web) would be awesome!

My assumption is that yes, you can just surf the Internet with it using Safari. Of course, I haven't used one personally so I can't speak from experience, but theoretically you could use it as a small Internet device. As I've said before, this would seem to compete with the Nokia N800 (although the N800 still does have a lot of features that the iPod touch doesn't have, with the exception of Apple's multitouch ;) ).

Amie,

I hope I understood your question correctly:

You can access the Internet anywhere Wi-Fi is available, at a coffee shop, at the airport, in cities that have city-wide wifi, McDonalds, etc., and at home if you have a wireless base station hooked up to the Internet.

I am TOTALLY geeked about this thing. I have an 8 Gig Touch on order. Can't wait. This is going to be the coolest, most powerful PDA out there (except for the iPhone, of course). True, it doesn't come with everything you'd want (such as Bluetooth). But this is OS X! Hackers will add functionality.

Look at all the third party apps available for the iPhone already: http://www.rev2.org/2007/07/02/top-25-web-apps-for-the-iphone/

Doug

According to what I've been reading, it picks up wi-fi signals from any location and you can surf the Web from ANYwhere.

Not ANYwhere, just anywhere that has an accessible WiFi (802.11b/g) network, the same kind you'd connect to with a laptop. So yeah, as others have said, you could use it in many airports and coffee houses, but you'd probably not be able to use it on the street or in a car or in most places.

The advantage to the iPhone is that it can access the Internet either through a WiFi network (like the iPod Touch), or through AT&T's cell phone network, which gives it much greater range.

Well, I'm pretty much getting one (I've asked Santa). I mean, yes its an iPod with video and a widescreen. That alone probably makes it worth the price, but the clincher for me will be Safari and Wi-Fi.

Since I already have a wireless network at home, and can easily find them where I work or where I take lunch break, it means I can have a web browser that fits in my pocket. It'll be a nice eBook reader, too. I'm already working out a few neat possibilities. Using VNC (or similar) I could use it as the ultimate remote access system for my Macs at home.

it doesn't have all the apps that the iPhone has (yet?) (legally).

I'd say "yet" is right. Apple wouldn't fail to put an implementation of Mail or Notes on the iPod, only to watch all the users go through the web-based systems of their competitors instead. Remember also that when iPhone was announced, it wasn't until a couple of weeks later that the YouTube feature was announced.

Hmm ... OK. :(

My thinking now has changed slightly. I thought I could just be at a store, restaurant, the beach, etc. and whip out my iPod Touch and start surfing the Web. Guess not. I mean, I already have a laptop for Internet and an iPod Nano for music. Can you think of any reason(s) why I'd want an iPod Touch? I already bring my laptop and iPod with me to wi-fi hotspots like coffeehouses, cafes, home, etc. ... what's the advantage (if any) of owning an iPod Touch? I'm thinking, if anything, the iPod Touch would be more cumbersome to surf the 'Net than a laptop.

Just trying to figure out if I really need/want one. Thoughts, comments are greatly appreciated.

YEs, you would need to be near a wifi access point or hotspot to be able to surf with the iPod touch, just as you would with your iBook. Personally, sometimes even a laptop is just to cumbersome to pull out and start surfing, but to each his (or her) own. :D Since you're more comfortable with iBook for surfing the web, then maybe you might be better served with the new iPod nano or that classic with the extra space. But really, if you're fine for now then there's no need.

I would definitely want one since I don't find myself in places where I can easily pull out a laptop and use it. Something as small as the iPod touch (or even a Nokia N800 internet tablet) would suit me best since I could just put it in my pocket and carry it with me at work. Now I just have to see if it meets or exceeds the features on the N800.

My opinion is that having the iPod touch at a coffee shop would be lovely, seeing that you frequent coffee shops. For me, I'll either wait until the refurbs start shipping, or grab the next generation once most of the hacking has been accomplished. The idea that I could VNC to my home computer -from anywhere important in my city- with a device >8mm thick is pretty sexy. I think it'd be slick in a meeting with one of my clients if I were able to pull a portfolio out of my as... ahem, pocket. :p

Can't wait. This is going to be the coolest, most powerful PDA out there

*Cough*, *ahem*, chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf *cough*!!! Please don't call this a PDA as long as they don't ship Mail.app, Notes and a full version Calendar with it. It's an iPod. With WiFi.

i'm in the rare position where i'm a) in need of a new iPod and b) about up for my phone contract upgrade.

and now of course, it's pretty much certain that an iPhone similarly priced to an iPod touch will be out in the UK before christmas.

well-trusted new nokia + cheap contract + thin, light and high-capacity iPod touch, or an iPhone, with a probably horrendously priced and lengthy contract. and it's heavy (135g).

bah.

would love an iPhone. but it seems a bit silly.

I'm LOLing at some of these posts! This turned out to be a pretty good thread. Thanks for all the helpful (and funny) replies. :)

I went to the Apple store to check out the new iPod Touch, but alas, they are not in the stores yet. Silly me! I just assumed they were already being sold in stores. Anyone know WHEN the Apple stores will have them?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one, but I'm wondering if I should wait until a) they drop the price down (they always seem to do that with new products, drop the price down about 50 bucks or so after about six months); and b) they iron out whatever needs ironing, if any (first generation products are usually in need of some perfecting, etc.). So ... maybe I should wait? Argh. That wait is really going to kill me. LOL

Back