iPod Touch: An iPod & Computer In Your Pocket?

I probably won't get one. I'd only be able to use it at the SAME places I already use my laptop, so what's the point?

My initial attraction to the iPod Touch was because Apple's misleading ad says "enjoy the Internet anywhere." I thought that meant just what it says: anywhere. Apparently, not.

Well, even a GPRS/EDGE/UMTS iPod touch wouldn't give you internet access _anywhere_. (Think basements or other areas where there's simply no signal.) It's just a slogan.

Also, YouTube was announced since then. I wouldn't be surprised to see Adobe or Amazon's eBooks added in the next 12 months, either.

I think there is a big gap between what customers think they want and what they'll actually buy. When Apple finally caved in to all those people begging for games on iPod, and licensed a number of games, the total number of downloads was pathetically low, in spite of a price-point around a quarter of that for the same game on other platforms. People begged for it, and then when it was released, decided they didn't really care anyway.

Apple are going to focus their software development efforts where they're going to add the most value to the product. iPhone ships with the software it needed in order to be viable, and nothing more. iPod touch is the same; they've got it out the door with the features it needs to be a sales success, and anything else can wait until later.

So where do I think they're going next? iPhone will get iChat before it gets MMS messaging; its simply more beneficial to Apple to do iChat first. MMS messaging will come pretty quickly though, as the carriers will be insisting on it (more ways to use the phone equals more usage of the phone equals more money for the carriers). iPod touch will eventually get some of the apps that are already finished for iPhone. Mail.app for iPod touch will be an optional install that will come with a big disclaimer that it is not a supported application. eBooks will be available for purchase through iTunes - the structure is already there; I have a few PDF-casts already, all the touch needs is a custom-made PDF browser.

Ugh, ebooks. I would so much rather go to a physical bookstore and buy a physical book so that I can put it on my physical shelf. I spend enough time staring at a screen...

Well, even a GPRS/EDGE/UMTS iPod touch wouldn't give you internet access _anywhere_. (Think basements or other areas where there's simply no signal.) It's just a slogan.

Yeah, I know. But I thought I'd at least be able to use it anywhere there's a signal. Apple makes it sound like the iPod Touch comes wi-fi ready ... as in ready to pick up any signal, any place, regardless of your ISP and network. Thought I'd be able to use it anywhere (beach, restaurant, work, car, shopping malls, wandering the streets, etc.). But nope!

Just joined the Forum to comment on my new ipod Touch. Got it two days ago and it is terrific. At MacDonalds or Starbucks the signal is clear and right there to sign into. At home I have a choice of what is floating around the neighborhood. Am planning a trip to the brother-in-laws over Thanksgiving just to test the Wi Finess of this amazing ipod(don't tell him why I am really coming to visit). BUT what I really want to comment about is the tonal quality of my music, the unbelievable clarity, and depth of color of the YouTube section (so far superior to my iMac computer), and the photo section that will blow you off your feet whether you view in vertical or horizontal mode. Now I know that shrinking down the visual from my 20 inch iMac makes it look better, but it truly is. When you visit the Apple store and look at the clarity of the samples shown on their display models you do NOT expect that same quality on the one you just brought home, but it is there. I got so excited this afternoon that I almost dropped the iPod. Do yourself a favor ... think about it, but don't think too long, and go get one. I will continue to marvel at this amazing iPod, and post here too my thoughts. Thanks for reading this.

I wouldn't say computer just yet. You can't even add your own software on it, or save files to it, or use it as a hard drive. Apple likes to limit you. There isn't even Google Maps on it. Hopefully it'll be hacked soon.

Just joined the Forum to comment on my new ipod Touch. Got it two days ago and it is terrific. At MacDonalds or Starbucks the signal is clear and right there to sign into. At home I have a choice of what is floating around the neighborhood. Am planning a trip to the brother-in-laws over Thanksgiving just to test the Wi Finess of this amazing ipod(don't tell him why I am really coming to visit). BUT what I really want to comment about is the tonal quality of my music, the unbelievable clarity, and depth of color of the YouTube section (so far superior to my iMac computer), and the photo section that will blow you off your feet whether you view in vertical or horizontal mode. Now I know that shrinking down the visual from my 20 inch iMac makes it look better, but it truly is. When you visit the Apple store and look at the clarity of the samples shown on their display models you do NOT expect that same quality on the one you just brought home, but it is there. I got so excited this afternoon that I almost dropped the iPod. Do yourself a favor ... think about it, but don't think too long, and go get one. I will continue to marvel at this amazing iPod, and post here too my thoughts. Thanks for reading this.

See, I was originally going to buy an iPod Touch, partly for the wi-fi capability, but then I realized ... all those wi-fi hotspots that you named (Starbucks, McDonald's, etc.), I already take my laptop to those places, so why would I want to surf the 'Net on an itty-bitty iPod screen when I have my nice iBook? Doesn't make sense for me. So: I decided to not get one. They are cool, though. :)

See, I was originally going to buy an iPod Touch, partly for the wi-fi capability, but then I realized ... all those wi-fi hotspots that you named (Starbucks, McDonald's, etc.), I already take my laptop to those places, so why would I want to surf the 'Net on an itty-bitty iPod screen when I have my nice iBook? Doesn't make sense for me. So: I decided to not get one. They are cool, though. :)

I wanted one, also because of Wi-Fi capability because I couldn't take my laptop everywhere I went, but its just to much money for me right now and 16 GB isn't enough for me.

*Cough*, *ahem*, chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf *cough*!!! Please don't call this a PDA as long as they don't ship Mail.app, Notes and a full version Calendar with it. It's an iPod. With WiFi.

Is my Zire Palm a PDA ? I has no WiFi, no mail.

Is my Zire Palm a PDA ? I has no WiFi, no mail.

Yes, that's a PDA. Mainly because it's got a full PIM suite out of the box and can add a myriad of 3rd party digital personal assisting apps, whereas the iPod touch does _not_ come with a full PIM suite and doesn't offer to install 3rd party apps.

I have an iPod touch. I applied the hack recently and now have about 10 useful apps on it, including mobile TextEdit, an editable calendar (adds the + sign that the iPhone has), a To Do list, eBook reader, mobile Finder, paint program, games, etc. Stability? Seems fairly good. I've had a few Safari crashes, don't know if those have anything to do with the hacks.

It's pretty much what I've been looking for. The editable calendar was the biggie.

Doug

I have an iPod touch. I applied the hack recently and now have about 10 useful apps on it, including mobile TextEdit, an editable calendar (adds the + sign that the iPhone has), a To Do list, eBook reader, mobile Finder, paint program, games, etc. Stability? Seems fairly good. I've had a few Safari crashes, don't know if those have anything to do with the hacks.

It's pretty much what I've been looking for. The editable calendar was the biggie.

Doug

I'm typing this on my new 16GB iPod Touch. Where are the hacked applications? This is an amazing little device. Do you know the ne of the program for hacking the Touch without bricking it? Just bought this thing hours ago... Wow!

Chemistry_Geek,

You probably have to downgrade to software version 1.1.1

Check out this site:
here: http://www.ipodtouchhacks.com/

Look for "Instant Jailbreak". I haven't tried this method. The site says it's easy. Let me know if you have problems.

Doug

Chemistry_Geek,

You probably have to downgrade to software version 1.1.1

Check out this site:
here: http://www.ipodtouchhacks.com/

Look for "Instant Jailbreak". I haven't tried this method. The site says it's easy. Let me know if you have problems.

Doug

OK, I have version 1.1.1, and I'm really interested in using my iPod Touch as a PDA. Getting as close to an iPhone without the contract would be nice. After playing with an iPhone for a while, the Internet simply was too slow. Do you have links for the iPod Touch hacks? Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

Follow that link. The "Instant Jailbreak" will open up your Touch. It may even install the AppTapp installer. From there, you download 3rd party apps from the Touch itself. The Installer will show up as an app on your main screen.

So read www.ipodtouchhacks.com and follow the Instant Jailbreak directions. Let me know if you get stuck.

Doug

Back