iTunes 4.0.1

csmoll

Registered
iTunes 4.0.1 is now available in Software Update. But BEWARE:

iTunes 4 users who do not upgrade can not access your shared music.

Also, "Connect To Shared Music" is no longer an option in the Advanced menu.

No wonder a bunch of Apple employees on the chat services were saying not to install it.

!UAYOR!
(Use at your own risk!)

Cory Moll
csmoll.com

As it CLEARLY says in the Software Update panel, iTunes 4.0.1 will only allow sharing among LOCAL networks in the same subnet. Translation: NO MORE INTERNET SHARING. Somebody found a way to download the music using the iTunes 4 protocol, & now Apple is making sure you can't do that anymore. If we refuse to download this and protest it enough, MAYBE we can get that feature back, but I doubt it. Sucks. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Whoever figured out how to hack the protocol shoulda kept it to himself.

Why ? Why ? WHY ?!
LISTENING to music ? Is it a CRIME ?

Steve, you suck ! You SUCK ! I never saw any company add a useful feature and then take it back ! MORONIC attitude.

:( :( :(

Disclaimer: This is not to preech internet rights, it's only background to my opinion on Apple's disabling Library sharing-no riots please :cool:

It's impossible to argue that downloading music for free is theft, it is; you're obtaining copyrighted material outside the license of the copyright, and without remunerating the copyright holder. Just because it's easy doesn't make it right.

I say it's almost analogous to being able to obtain a master key for all Porsche cars on the 'net for free: just because a Porsche is more expensive than a CD, and a tangible item, doesn't make it any more legal to get a key and grab a Porsche from the factory.

It is merely a question of how tolderated this is by the artists and community in general.

Apple has worked pretty hard at protecting artist's rights and stopping pirated music (such as the AAC iTunes Music Store keys). I was amazed they implemented Library sharing at all, and was kinda shocked when they allowed it over the internet--that's kind of like writing their own proprietary LimeWire or KaZaA, right?

So I'm all for disabling internet sharing, myself.

toast, actually, yes it is a crime. If you look at the copyright notice on almost any CD, DVD, or VHS casette it clearly states that the sale, rent, or loan or public presentation is prohibited; downloading it constitutes loan.

Toast,

I don't think it was Apple's intention to add then take away features in iTunes. It was there, it got abused, and now they had to remove it to minimize a backlash from the music companies over media management.

Does it suck? Sure it does. I, for one, was just starting to enjoy streaming my home collection to myself at work so I didn't have to bother copying over files and/or using some third party "hack" to get streaming up and running.

However, I'd rather that Apple take the steps to protect the fledgling music store business as this will make or break Apple's current lead in this industry. I hope they are looking over their shoulders though, as MS and others are hot on their trail to capture the lead.

Be glad that they made DRM as painless as they did; MS is just now figuring out ways to loosen up their system to allow burning to CD...

Cheers.

Imagine the hoops Apple had to jump through to get labels to allow Apple to let you download their songs for a dollar (I think that makes sense). Do you want them to go back on their deal because people are sharing their songs over the Internet? Be glad you had it at all.

so apple keeps on using internet sharing, people use it for bad (piratting), apple gets sued, they have to get rid of iTunes... I say better no internet sharing than this :confused:

X-actly. Better to lose a small feature than a large one or the whole program.

BTW nice number of posts Racer D! (69 as of this writing :) ::evil::)

Wait. Downloading music is a crime, listening to it (don't you have a radio ?) is perfectly okay !

Plus, iTunes tells you to share only with friends ! And the fact that there is no tracker for iTunes confirms this use. That's just as legal as having a bunch of mates at home and having your hi-fi in the background. It's even MORE legal than to LEND a CD in fact !

So no, I cannot understand. Plus, is anyone telling me Apple is discovering DRMs now ? You mean Apple wasn't expecting for some backlashes ? You mean Apple wasn't aware of what this ssytem could mean ? Break. I need a break.

At least, why not reintrocude it with a radio-quality streaming (64kbps ?) What's wrong with this ?

If what is wrong is still DRMs, then allow me to say the music industry is so much selfish I feel perfectly okay at pirating CDs. I mean, this iTunes stuff was letting me listen some tracks for a week or so, and then (because connecting to friends is painful in some way: bandwidth, open hours...) I was ready to send some cash in the original CD. Apple's killing what WAS an escape clause to some.

Sorry if I feel disgusted, but I am. I can't imagine such egotism from either labels, artists, or producers. Fcuk capitalism.

Well, really, letting your friends listen to music is a violation as well, but I'd like to see someone uphold that one. :p

Mainly, Toast, it was the people that abused it that messed it up for the rest of us. Because "broadcasting" songs requires a license - and people weren't getting said license to share out their music. I'm sure the record labels were pressuring Apple on it once they found out all about it. And I mean just the mass sharing, I'm not even talking about the hack someone figured out to download the music.

iTunes' streaming stuff isn't completely gone either - it's just limited to clients on the same subnet. Which is what Apple intended it for in the first place.

If you really want to, you can still stream music off your computer. From various posts, I gather that you're at least somewhat familiar with compiling programs and such, Toast. Go to freshmeat.net and search for *******. It's not bad. I got it to compile for me, though I had to do a little editing of the source. Nothing serious, though. I never used it, so I deleted it off my drive, but it worked. You can't use iTunes to connect to the stream, though. You'll have to find some other app that can connect to Icecast streams, but if you really want it, there ya go. ;)

[no p2ps pleaze. -gia]

Toast, radio is not a crime because the broadcasting station pays a hefty royalty to the artist to license the 'public presentation'.

Toast - just recall the problems that Internet Radio was having only a few months ago because the authorities wanted to start charging fees for them broadcasting :) Do you want to have to pay that kind of money for sharing your iTunes music library? Hell - if you've got the money - go for it. :)))

C

That's my point. Royalties for broadcasting... I'm simply disgusted. There was a time wher eI could stand the overall greed and egotism of the audio market.

P2P networks have a new, confirmed member.

Originally posted by michaelsanford
Toast, radio is not a crime because the broadcasting station pays a hefty royalty to the artist to license the 'public presentation'.

except in e.g. italy where it's just the theory. there are tens of thousands of radios (of which 99 % play only the chart music) and no one controls them. radios 'don't pirate' ... but they added a tax to ALL empty cds, dvds and even all hard drives "because" everyone is supposed to pirate. all thanks to the local RIAA type association. it is unfair as the start point that "everyone is pirating mp3s and avis". and none of those money that they will collect with the tax, will go to the artists, that is for sure.

does anyone remember the iPod > radio broadcasters? the small things that you attach to your iPod so you can listen to it in a radio close to the iPod? they sell them in the apple stores, thus those appliances cannot be illegal in the USA. in europe they are, for the broadcasting feature it has. i guess if i had one of those, my neighbours would be able to listen to my iPod on their radio.

I agree with Gia: it's not only a theory in Italy, it is also in France !

I mean, in what world are we living ? Only a few radios in France are able to pay this tax (ie. public radios and a dozen of private ones). The other ones, such as regional or local radios, cannot afford such royalties: most of their members are volunteers, benevoles !

It's all greed. Is it normal that artists don't even get 5% of their CD sales ?This is crookery. Led Zeppelin or Aesop Rock may not care about such crookery, but less famous people do. Means such as iTunes were a fantastic way to discover music WITHOUT downloading it ! Now it's gone. I've discovered some lovely tunes thru streaming. Now I'll just use some P2P software this board will censor the name if I write it down.

IMHO The biggest gripe is people complaining about not being able to listen to their personal iTunes music at work. Well, I have never heard a such a load of crap! Any decent Macintosh power user could easily figure out how to mount his own hard drive (at work from his home Mac) or mount a public folder with a music folder (or an alias of your music folder) and play it on your iTunes at work.

The whole whining about losing the connect to share (or large networks .. i.e.-internet) is the fault of all these programs abusing the function in iTunes 4.0. You know what I'm talking about.

So you may call me names or curse me but just search your morals and look at the big picture. Users abusing the connect to server forced Apple to take the function out before they were sued to high heaven for it. It's that simple.

No, in fact you're completely right. But Apple could've expected such things. It's a complete failure when you launch a product and then have to take it back because you hadn't anticipated what a poor bunch or moronic hackers could do with it. I call it a seriously unsmart move.

Back