Jaguar - Mac OS X 10.2

Originally posted by fryke
Why not go ahead and discuss a little what's missing in Mac OS 10.1.x? And I don't mean this or that app is not yet carbonated. I mean the OS itself.

I like all your ideas, but also have some more to add:

1. Possibility to grab windows in the edges, and hold down a key to resize them.
2. Multiple active logins, ala WinXP. (you can log out, but your apps are still in the background so login in again will get you back where you left. Great in shared environments, like family-homes)
3. Better multithreaded Finder. (especially when connecting to network drives as iDisk)
4. FTP-support in the Finder. (this is still the standard for file transfer)

Originally posted by Jasoco
I don't wany it running all the time. That's why I want the menu.

I only use Classic once every like two or three days.

There is no need for a menu, cause Classic actually goes asleep when there are none classic apps running, so it doesn't take any resources.

I'd just like to remind you guys that you should send Apple some feedback: www.apple.com/macosx/feedback . Especially about multiple desktops and labels in the Finder. I even more like the idea of the screen "turning" when you change virtual desktops.. that would be awesome... and that could be combined with the XP feature of multiple users logging in at once... you could have a little arrow on the side of the screen or in the menubar or something to change to a different virtual desktop, and if it's for a different user, it would ask for a password before "turning" the screen. Of course, users could create multiple desktops for one login.

Also, for you people out there who want labels -- here's a semi'solution for the time being. Go into some graphics program and make a picture.. about the size of a normal Finder window that you use -- and put different colors in it -- for example, you could have 4 colors -- green, red, blue, and yellow taking up one quadrant of the picture, and it would be modestly sized. Then, save it, and then go to view options for a specific window, and set the window picture to the image you just created (you can even set the global settings to have an image in the background of the default Finder window). Now you can just drag icons into the appropriate color of the window, and it acts like labels, even though the OS doesn't really know that. It's not an elegant solution or one that's ideal, but it should work until Apple includes labels.

vikingstad - you mentioned WinXP 'active logins'

On the Linux systems at school, the KDE has a wonderful feature, where your login session is saved between computers too

Log out of one computer, leaving a bunch of apps running in the background. They are not left running, as this would be inefficient, but their state is saved. Then log in to any other computer in the lab, and all the same programs start up, with in exactly the same state (as far as possible) - your editor has the same files open, your browser is on the same webpage, etc.

I wonder if this might be done through NetInfo - logging into any computer in the same NetInfo domain would present you with an environment exactly the same as you left behind, even if not on the same computer...

Much underestimated feature, yes.

No this is *not* a temporary solution to replace labels. :) The REAL feature of labels is that you can sort lists by them and you can tag files and you'll find them in a bunch of unlabelled files even after you moved them or changed the view.

I used to label all active extensions, so I could install an application and see what was installed by it in the extensions folder.

Really love them and I did send feedback to Apple. I really hope they'll get that back into 10.2 or so.

Btw I'm glad that the thread has mainly stayed on track and went on and on. The latest post about virtual desktops seems (partly a nice idea).

The difficulty for Apple to introduce multiple desktops is that it might confuse first-time users. ("I opened the app, I'm sure, but it's gone now...") So they have to find a way of doing that in a consumer-friendly way. *My* suggestion is still to - over time - introduce more professional (or 'power user') features that are not active by default.

Let the pros decide what eye-candy they want - and give them additional features.

File handling was always a *main* reason for people to use Macs. And it let me do stuff much faster than on any other operating system. Mac OS 10 (and 10.1) was a step backward although column view is a step forward in my opinion.

I would like to be able to manage my Mac like I was doing on the Sun machine at University. Even if the mac is for the familly with the children, I should be able to play with .cshrc startup files, control the confirgurations of my children, update a series of links with one simple batch command, and move the files around.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by fryke
The difficulty for Apple to introduce multiple desktops is that it might confuse first-time users. ("I opened the app, I'm sure, but it's gone now...") So they have to find a way of doing that in a consumer-friendly way. *My* suggestion is still to - over time - introduce more professional (or 'power user') features that are not active by default...
Yes. I aways wonder to myself how hard it will be for me to explain a new feature to my Mom... usually via email or over the phone. For a cunsumer OS, it must pass this "Mom test".

With that said, think about the idea of a Simple Finder like the have in 9.x. If they had multiple levels of interfaces, they could have the multiple-desktop think only on the Advanced Finder.

Also, do you all have preferences of virtual desktops vs. oversides desktops that scroll when you hit the edge of the screen?

Maybe i woudl take a lot of coding..bu hwo about thye give us the optinos for lal of these things. For instance to negate the ahaha "Mom" test, just simply require an admin password to turn it on in the firstp lace in the preference panel. Moms != Admins So that fixes that. and then the scrolling desktop vs. the virtual desktops could be solved by giving us both options...Am I asking too much? I just love having choices!:D

1. PCMCIA support.
2. PCMCIA support.
3. PCMCIA support.

A "digital hub" should let you connect PCMCIA storage cards like Compact Flash and memory sticks. 10.1 doesn't yet support this feature in Powerbooks (although it worked great in OS 9).

Control panel for the included firewall and NATD. Yes, Brickwall is a great app, but it's developed by someone outside Apple, so an Apple update might clobber it at any time. Not to mention, there's no excuse for not including a simple front-end to the firewall and connection sharing. Windows has this nice little "Internet connection sharing" control panel - M$, so it doesn't work worth a darn, but it's easy in theory...

I totally agree on this point. This is something that has been missing from the Mac for a long time. Our Windows buddies have been able to share their internet connection since like Windows 98, not sure, perhaps even in Windows 95. The really sucky thing is that they can only share it with other Windows clients and not with Mac clients, so households with both Mac and Windows computers cannot easily share a connection. I think Apple should implement some of the NATD features in a system preference panel so one could enable internet connection sharing on the Mac. Ideally, enabling this feature would allow one to share a connection with any other computers on your home network, whether they be a Windows machine, Mac machine, or even a Linux machine. This is the feature I am really crossing my fingers for in the next update, perhaps 10.1.3. It would be even greater if you could share your connection over multiple connection mediums including RJ45 Ethernet, 802.11b wireless, and perhaps even FireWire like some Windows clients I have heard allow.

My 2 cents - I agree with ulrich (way back at the second post). Multiple/virtual desktops is the way to go. I have dual 19" monitors but I find that using a single monitor with multiple desktops on XDarwin and/or Linux is even more convienient for managing mutiple applications. Of course, multiple desktops with dual monitors will allow even more flexibility. I'm getting a major woody just thinking about it. :cool:

No offense but scrolling desktops is a bad idea. I think new users could handle multiple desktops as long as there was a clear visual indicator similar to but much better than what is provided for in Enlightenment, KDE or Windowmaker.

Seriously, if you ever had dual monitors or mutiple desktops you just can't go back to a single screen. It makes a computer so much more powerful. We have a true multitasking OS - now give the user the ability to multitask just as well as the OS!

Good point.

And what about one display full OS9.2 and one full 10.1 ? So that we finally have full compatibility ? They could even be set to different resolutions if needed !

And what about one display full OS9.2 and one full 10.1 ? So that we finally have full compatibility? They could even be set to different resolutions if needed !

That would be interesting, but I'm betting Apple wants to get away from OS 9 as soon as it can! I know I do! I booted off of 9.2 the other day and found myself clicking away expecting it to handle all the multitasking OS X has completely spoiled me with. I'm not a graphics person or someone who needs to use a great deal of classic apps, but I can understand how the whole thing would be a pain. How about XDarwin on one monitor and OSX on the other instead?

Speaking of different resolutions, (you probably know this) OS9 and OS X allow each monitor to have its own color depth and resolution, but I keep them both the same - otherwise it is just too weird for me.

One more thing - it doesn't give multiple desktops but I use a little application in my dock called "Show Desktop" that simply hides every open app on OS X. I find it to be useful when things get crazy. I used to use a QuicKeys shortcot for this, but the dedicated app is much better.

What exactly are spring loaded folders? I've been using the Mac OS since 7.6, but what is their purpose? Isn't it just the little rectangles that follow the opening of a window?-those are already in OS X, so what are the spring loaded folders?:confused:

Nope, spring loaded folders is that folders/disks automatically opens after a second or two if you drag an object over it -pretty handy, and I used it all the time in OS 9, and this is the only feature that really misses in OS X, I really hope it will appear soon, at least in 10.2! :)

BTW, I really think Apple should hire some guys to read through the Press 3 forums and scan it completely for ideas/suggestions, -there are a lot of cool ideas here, so please post them all to Apple, and we'll defineately get a better OS. We should better do it now when OS X still is in development stage :)

I love those! and dearly miss them! Can't wait to get them back!:D Any one know or hear any rumors as to when 10.2 will be out? Will it be a download or an update like 10.1 or will we have to buy it?:confused:

I guess it'll be released sometime next summer and be a complete CD update like 10.1... :)

Originally posted by RHITMacMan
I totally agree on this point. This is something that has been missing from the Mac for a long time. Our Windows buddies have been able to share their internet connection since like Windows 98, not sure, perhaps even in Windows 95. The really sucky thing is that they can only share it with other Windows clients and not with Mac clients, so households with both Mac and Windows computers cannot easily share a connection.

Worked fine for me with a Win2K machine and an OS 9 machine :confused:

I'd be very interested to know more about your setup and what exactly you did to make things work. I have never been able to get it to work. Sometimes I've found it even to be sketchy between two Windows computers, let alone a Mac and Windows computer.

none of my (old but still ticking) SCSI peripherals
are supported in osX.

- Umax 1200S Scanner;
- 30 GB external SCSI HD;
- Yamaha 400 CD-R Drive;

I have to boot into 9.2 to get any of
these devices to work.

I keep trying the latest drivers from the
Adaptec's 2930 support page, but
nothing ever gets better.

'scratch'y'scratch...

My SCSI Zip drive works though...