Jan 24th predictions / 20th Anniversary.

diablojota

Doctoral Student
Hey everyone,
What do you think Apple may release for their 20th anniversary?

The Register seems to think a tablet. I don't agree. I believe and updated eMac and iMac (read new form factor). Perhaps also an anniversary iPod (i.e. perhaps colors, or a 60gb special edition).
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/34434.html

What are your predictions?

I predict that nothing will come on Jan 24, but on the 26th.
I made it in in earlier post, so I'll stick with it. A drop in prices for the mini iPods and the announcement that the Beatles will finally be available via the iTMS.

You think that will be all they will do for their anniversary? I would be surprised if that were it. I can definitely see the price drop, but not that soon, especially since the iPod mini is currently the best selling item in the on-line shop.
26th makes sense, it being a monday and all but I think the 23rd would be far more likely.

Yes, I think it'll be mostly music-related. Especially with the Pepsi promotion just around the corner. What better way to promote the iPods and the mini-iPods and GarageBand. Maybe we'll see a bump in G5s, but I think the rest will be music-related.

We already had the music stuff out of the way at the keynote ... I foresee a special edition iMac or something like that, perhaps, if the PM's get a boost, with a G5 ~ 1.6-1.8 GHz (underclocked 90nm?). They are bound to do something with the anniversary beside iPods etc. It's too soon for a pricedrop and I don't see the old iPods getting fancy colors.
There are also rumours of a homepage makeover for Apple ...

Well on the front page of Macrumors (http://www.macrumors.com), they have an article posted stating that IBM has produced 65nm 'G5' processors for the upcoming XBox 2 from Microsoft. If this is the case, these processors will probably be the ones we would find in the G5 Powerbooks. IMHO.

I believe Apple will not do much. Maybe some promotions. I agree, they will probably have some digital music celebration of some sort.

This guess is based partly on hope and partly on observation of what Apple and resellers have been doing with prices and inventory over the past couple of months. I have money burning in my pocket for a new system and have been waiting for the next product announcement. Since systems news was conspicuously absent from the recent keynote, I believe that news was reserved for the anniversary.

Look for one or both of these to occur within a week:

1. A G5 iMac running at around 1.6 Ghz for under $2000.

2. A bump in the Power Mac line with the 1.8 DP being the entry-level model and a new DP model at the top of the line running at ~2.5 Ghz.

That's my semi-educated shot-in-the-dark.

I was reading in some other forums, there is also the rumor of a new iMac or eMac that will come in just under $1,000. This is based on information that was given by apple at the release of their financial report. They stated that the cut-off line is hitting $1k in the consumer desktop market.

diablojota said:
I was reading in some other forums, there is also the rumor of a new iMac or eMac that will come in just under $1,000. This is based on information that was given by apple at the release of their financial report. They stated that the cut-off line is hitting $1k in the consumer desktop market.

Sub-$1000 eMacs are already plentiful. I believe the G4 iMacs 15" (assuming a G5 iMac is announced) would then dip <$1000.

turn2 said:
Sub-$1000 eMacs are already plentiful. I believe the G4 iMacs 15" (assuming a G5 iMac is announced) would then dip <$1000.

I agree the sub-1000 eMacs are plentiful, however they lack a lot of the functionality that the iMac has. I agree, a G5 iMac would most likely drop the price to sub-1k for the iMac. Here's to hoping.

aniversary.gif

Rumor has it they are going to re-release this Mac as a G5.

I'd love to see a PowerBook G5, even if it was just a partial line. Like, G4's for the intro model and midline with a G5 bringing up the high end. I mean, Apple knows that people are waiting on the G5 PowerBooks, so it's not like they haven't had plenty of time to get something prepared, especially if they have Dual G5's at 2.0GHz in the XServe, even with the holes.

How about something like:
1.33GHz G4
1.5GHz G4
1.7GHz G5 (1.8GHz 90nm PPC970 underclocked to 1.7GHz)

I'm sorry, I'm just dying to get a PowerBook G5. I'd love to see the optical outputs that the G5 towers have carry over. Couple that with standard AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, SuperDrive, Backlight Keyboard and some other neat feature that'll make everyone drool.

I think its imperative that Apple come out with something new and exciting. It won't ruin the company if they don't, but with the slight dissapointment over the iPod mini pricing, they could use another push to further establish their footing in 2004. After the huge Christmas season and with the Pepsi promotion coming up, tons of people will be hitting Apple.com and having something ultra exciting on the site could prove to be very profitable in bringing more people into the Apple community.

There is some disappointment in the Mac community, most of which owns iPods, about the pricing. But the minis are the No. 1 seller at the store right now.

after such a disappointing MacWorld... I predict it will be nothing other than an announcement that a new store will be opening somewhere in the world.

gerbick said:
after such a disappointing MacWorld... I predict it will be nothing other than an announcement that a new store will be opening somewhere in the world.
I agree, Macworld was quite lackluster in terms of prod releases (outside of the Xserves and GarageBand). I think they are going to make up for it with their 20th Anniversary. Well, at least I hope they will. Here's to hoping! :p

I believe you have all missed something. Go back to the New 1984 ad and look at the date on the Big Brother screen (freeze the movie just before the hammer hits it) and look at the date. I believe that's the announcement date.

I hope, as always, that Apple will come out with a new cube like computer with a better price point and keep it with the G4 processor. I hope, I hope!! :p

Viktor

Back