Leopard - 1 week to go?

andyhargreaves

Registered
Well, Leopard is arriving in October, so I make that a week away. Well, technically at least although I doubt we'll be queuing up outside the Apple Stores on the 1st October. Any ideas/suggestions about when it will be available? Or at least when we'll find out??

Andy

Tuesday has been their favourite day to introduce stuff lately, but I think the last sales-day of October will be it. It hasn't been declared final yet (from what I hear). From previous releases, we know that it takes about a month from golden master (the release candidate that turns release) to the actual release. The current build seeded to developers has two _mentioned_ issues, so it's not the final build of 10.5.0.

Certainly, Apple will _not_ release it in the first week of October. It'll be the last.

The iPhone was sold starting on a Friday, so, I like Oct 26, at 6PM ;)
I expect Apple to make some announcement soon, probably by the first of October

Tuesday has been the day for unannounced product updates and product releases for years. Thursday as a second alternative. Just never on Monday (and software never on Friday either... except 10.4 was released on a Friday if I remember correctly as I was working until 1 AM that night). Wednesday is too mundane.
So a bit like an ideal day for a job interview... pick Tuesday if you can choose.

I say the second week of october, and friday of that week, all I can say is I know what I want for christmas.

there will of course be the time from the announcement date to the actual release date...

is it a fortnight usually?

I wonder if it will be labeled as just a keynote or as the keynote for the release of leopard, because I'm sure stocks will fly at that announcement.

Just more money. My checking account is begging for mercy after a new Nikon, a new scanner, and an iPhone. I might be using Tiger for a while longer; it's not like there's anything glaringly bad about it! :)

I say it will be at least November 16th. The scuttlebutt going around the developers is Leopard's beta release is way behind the curve compared to Tiger's beta release cycle. Leopard's beta development has way to many "bugs" in it at this development stage. This news to me is very troubling. :eek:

I say it will be at least November 16th. The scuttlebutt going around the developers is Leopard's beta release is way behind the curve compared to Tiger's beta release cycle. Leopard's beta development has way to many "bugs" in it at this development stage. This news to me is very troubling. :eek:

Forget scuttlebutt,
the latest releases have actually cleaned up a huge number of bugs. From display driver issues to stability this latest release looks and feels really good.
So far the only issues I have found are related to 3rd party apps and not Leopard.
End of "safe to talk about without violating NDA" post.

rumor has it Leopard is nearing final candidate. I seem to remember reading the 29th of october somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Do you think they will have a keynote, or just release it? I mean, they have talked about Leopard at length in two prior keynotes -- I don't think i can sit through an iChat demo *again*!

unless, of course, there are new aluminum macbooks to go along with the release...oooooooo.....

IIRC, developers were saying similar things about the Tiger builds shortly before GM. You have to look at it this way as well:

Apple does _not_ hand out the very _latest_ builds to developers. They're a few builds ahead most of the time, at the seeding of a build. If (if!) 9A559 is a first release candidate, has two known issues (consider them fixed, that means) and you have outstanding bugs, it might mean those have been postponed to 10.5.1.
When Apple said "October", they had a clear plan on how it was going to play out. They knew that any postponing made "bad news" in the press. I'm pretty sure they didn't just say "October" and think "could be November or December as well". If they, at the time, thought it might take longer, they'd have postponed it until January instead. So at the time they _said_ October, they had a deadline. Ever since, they've been working towards that deadline. Leopard was already feature complete back then AFAIK. We'll see Leopard in October. But it'll be at the end of October.

I can't wait to get my hands on this big cat. I think they will release Leopard some time after the 20th October, so not long at all to wait.

I don't think they can afford another delay, otherwise people will start whinging about it being Vista-like. Apple promised October, and October it'll be. Hopefully just not too late :p

But it'll be at the end of October.

I sure hope so. I just hope without any major bugs. I can take some unknown minor bugs, but no major ones after the first delay earlier this year.

Anim8r said:
End of "safe to talk about without violating NDA" post.

Well I have NO NDA with Apple so I feel safe talking about. I think from what I have seen with my own eyes and from other real beta testers, Leopard's beta cycle seems behind at this point compared to what Tiger looked like a month before release.

I sure hope the beta cycle picks up and after the first delay, Leopard better be almost bug free when released to the public. They will be "put out to dry" if Leopard releases with some major bugs that company any x.0 releases, especially after the first delay.

Back