Leopard: Bugs/Compatibility Reports

Frustratingly sorted out most of original problems, iTunes, Mail >now using Thunderbird (It works well) Permissions sort of still dicey but still getting to many although not as many "Spinning balls of death with the odd useless gloved hand rather than cursor. Still wary of Backup/Time machine.
New Leopard Cache appears to have helped but have to keep Disk maintainance up to date. Last time I get a new operating systym 1st off the rank. " Sshh". Ciao > b.

New Bug on PPC and Intel Leopard fresh installs. No video will play when minimized to the Dock. You will still hear the sound but the video will not move when minimized in the Dock. I have tried with QuickTime, EyeTV and VLC.

Does anyone else see the same?

New Bug on PPC and Intel Leopard fresh installs. No video will play when minimized to the Dock. You will still hear the sound but the video will not move when minimized in the Dock. I have tried with QuickTime, EyeTV and VLC.

Does anyone else see the same?

Same here, not that it really matters to me, but it was a cool show off feature.

Yes, I did the same thing with what I found about that logging screen GUI bug... I reported it to Apple. Not sure though if there is anyone who reads all those reports, but I sent it anyway. The most important thing is that you mark your post as "Bug Report".

Here is the link for all those who don't know about this send-feedback-to-Apple page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html/

The best place to report bugs is http://bugreport.apple.com
You need to sign up for a free developer account but those bugs definitely get looked at and very frequently. I usually get some feedback from an Apple engineer within a few days to 1 week.

Lexmark have not provided new print drivers for my old Z53 Jetink printer & I now can't print specific pages or in black to save expensive color print cartridges. All enquiries to Lexmark is lie sending into a Black Hole. Any suggestions Please. Bunyip. ) OS X10.5.1 worked on Tiger.

Further to my last post I forgot to ask how doI get that magical FREE Apple bug report URL to work without to much "Moola" to justify. Ciao again > b.

My software RAID1+0 just disappeared, with all drives appearing unformatted less than an hour following the 10.5.1 update.

To ALL >
Copies email with Lexmark support. " Hhmmph" ! Ciao > bunyip

Hi Lexmark,
Ref your message below When will it be as I don't want to buy a new Printer?? From Mac forums I know a lot
of others are in same prediciment. If WE have to it will not be a Lexmark.

TIA. & Ciao > Philip. cc > All Mac Forums.

support@lexmark.com wrote:
> Thank you for contacting Lexmark,
>
> Unfortunately the z53 is not compatible with the Mac OS 10.5.
>
> If you require further assistance please let us know.

> Kind Regards,
> E-support

First let me say that this is the first time I have ever paid for a .1 upgrade. I got the 5-pack. A bargain. Leopard is slower in general. I long for 10.4 back on my desktop. I'm too freaking lazy to put it back however.

My WiFi which is MAC secured will no longer let me in. I had to pirate my neighbors wifi to use my PowerMac laptop. I think this is a terrible but extremely funny irony that my MAC address no longer works with my MAC!

My Desktop Mac (intel 2 GHZ, lotta memory, blah, blah, blah) is down to a crawl with a lot of Beach Balls. Don't let anybody tell you that you got more for less. BullS&^%

The default image on the desktop is really lame. However, the 3D hologram on the OSX software package is awesome. I thought my new graphics would be a little closer to the software box. No, I am not an idiot. The guy giving the demo of OSX Leopard is an idiot. Does everyone have to dress up like Jobs to get a job at Apple?

Ugly freakin' picture for a desktop if I ever saw one and it looks a little under-produced don't you think? While technically, the picture does actually work and does not belong in this Forum for that reason, I still maintain that Apple Inc. could have come up with a better Star Wars desktop picture - really! FREAKIN' BAD DESKTOP PICTURE!! BAD BAD BAD!!! There... I said it. It doesn't work for me.

iChat says when I plug in my Sony HD camcorder that my camera is in use with another program. It is not. Apparently, I had to set my HD video to SD so iChat could see it. I've heard other horror stories far worse.

Speaking of iChat, how bad can the green-screen or luma screen backdrop function be? I am not stupid most of the time. I can adjust a gamma or luma or yada-yada button to tweak my image over my backdrop. Only problem is, I DONT HAVE A TWEAK BUTTON! I have to get a studio with a absolute white background like the guy who looks like Jobs has. I will make my wife hold up a green backdrop while I step out of the frame - she then has to hold it until I'm done with chatting and swimming with the fishes.

New Rule - Time Machine has to stop asking me if every USB device I plug in is a new Time Machine backup drive. If Time Machine is so smart, it might remember the last time I plugged in that device I said NO! How about, when I plug in my Time Machine drive, I click on Time Machine and say - use this drive?

Spaces... I'm ok with spaces. If you ever used a virtual desktop before this is not new. Better late than never. Haven't they worked out the thingy yet where you launch Safari in one space and then try to launch it in another space .. you end up back to the space that you first launched Safari? No multiple sessions of Safari and other apps as well? Are you kidding me or what? It's called M-U-L-T-I-T-A-S-K-I-N-G. Well, apparently not. Spaces works when it wants to. The PC guy had that working 10 years ago! That's all I have to say about that.

Leopard is an underachiever at best. Ya gotta love the Apple hype. They are masters at making us think our desktop is going to reach out and give us a hand*** . Between my 2 MAC's and my 3 PC's the only thing I find myself doing lately is wondering why Leopard? And why, why, why do I have to keep uninstalling Vista at work and install XP instead? Because it works really well and is speedy. Like OSX used to be. That's why. Can't wait 'til 10.6 or is that going to be 11....??? Will I need a Quad-Duo-Octet-Core processor is the real question.

Thought for the day: When is the last time that you got an update on any PC (MAC or other) where the update said: "Updating your PC with the latest and greatest. This will make your PC run a lot faster!"

Hello all,

Updated to Leopard and so far, so good... I think. Here's my issue(s):

1) Upon installation, the end of the process I got a dialog with the "updating boot cache" message and an ok button. It hung like this for a long time and the keyboard was not responding -so I did a hard restart.

Anyone else experience this and is it serious? The update to 10.5.1 did not reproduce this result. It seems fine, but I'm wondering if this is something I should reset manually. How is this done?

2) I have the 160 GB 7200 hard drive, and after installation it said I have a bit over 100 GB available. Is this normal? I did an erase and install (after a one-pass secure wipe) and did not install X11, additional languages, fonts, or printer drivers.

The machine is a 15" MacBook Pro intel 2.4 core 2 duo, 2 GB of RAM.

<\Many thanks in advance.

~j

On my 2002 QS PowerMac -

When composing an email in Mail - the increase and decrease font size buttons are grayed out and do not function.

For email replies the same buttons work.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Thanks,
RJ

On my 2002 QS PowerMac -

When composing an email in Mail - the increase and decrease font size buttons are grayed out and do not function.

Thanks,
RJ
Can't say that I have, but then, those buttons are not installed by default, rather they have to be custom installed and in the 6 years I've been using a Mac I've never had a need for them.
jb.

On my 2002 QS PowerMac -

Thanks,
RJ

Plain text function and when you hit reply the message was formatted "Rich Text". Check your preferences.

Edit from Jason:

"Please report any ... bugs you have with Leopard here. If you have more indepth questions, please feel free to post a new thread though. This is mainly for collection and reporting. :)"

The short story: Two of five installs done in our household so far. The first one scared the hell out of us: crashed the hard drive on the iMac G5 (1.5 Gb), after two hours on the phone with Apple we took it to the genius bar, Applecare covered the cost of a new hard drive ($60 to transfer the data), tried the install again. HORROR SHOW. Time Machine wouldn't work, didn't see the Mighty Mouse, froze ten times a day, on phone with Apple for hours. Did every version of archive and install (preserve, don't preserve, etc.) and finally have Time Machine working, but forced to use a corded mouse - bluetooth is not seeing the mouse. Many, many lines of detail omitted, let me know if you want to know and I will turn my son loose on you for the gory details.

Next was my daughter's 1 Gb 15" iBook G4. It worked! One persistent challenge - doesn't seem to want to play videos in Quicktime. All she gets is the Q with a question mark blinking over it. Reinstalled QT and Macromedia player, no change.

REALLY not looking forward to putting it on my 1 Gb 17" Powerbook G4 currently running 10.3.9 quite happily. Waiting for 500 Gb external drive to arrive before I do that.

Then there is the 12" iBook G4 - not sure it can handle the onslaught of Leopard.

As for what is incompatible, aside from the bluetooth module, Mediafork keeps crashing while ripping DVDs. Previewing JPGs in full screen crashes the Finder consistently. Multitasking in iTunes crashes it, such as playing a song and deleting a playlist. Finder crashes daily, but it reboots in 10 seconds. And we can't seem to repair disc permissions.

Still beats the pants off the problems my neighbors are having with Vista.

23 years on the Mac and still loving it.

10.5.1 started off well. Fast. No problems.

Unfortunately, my system has started to slow down. Adobe programmes (PS CS3 & GoLive CS1) are crashing on a regular basis.

Permisions repairs now take 30 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Slight issue with Finder.

In Tiger I could connect and mount my little vantec nexstar NAS no problem, drag and drop like a regular connected HDD, now when I see it appear in the list under SHARED, I click on it and connect and it just hangs, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

also,

Browsing back and forth between shared macs/nas/storage volumes, the finder seems to just hang. Even after authenticating to another mac, if I switch from mac 1 authenticate, then to mac 2 authenticate, and back to mac 1 lets say cause I forgot a file, it hangs. just says "CONNECTED AS: me" when i click... DISCONNECT....

nothing! just hangs, until I reboot my machine. This is extremely painful, as I rely on connecting to other shares all day!!!!!! If this isn't fixed, I will have to go back to Tiger.

Oh, I upgraded to leopard, that make a difference?

Back