Leopard to Feature Redesigned Finder

For the love of God, PLEASE give us a choice in our UI colors/themes. The same 2 "themes" (and i use the term loosely) are a joke. Give us a choice! For example, being able to choose between Aqua, Brushed, "Plastic", and whatever the new UI is.

Minimize/windowshade.

I hated windowshade. remove the window from my workspace, so i can see what i'm doing. what are you doing...? why is the bloody title bar still there? bloody hell! i have 10 title bars still present!.

i HATE windowshade. one of the reasons why Classic needed to become classic.

minimize GENUINELY gets the windows out of the way for a bit. and only a bit. it doesn't become a dock resident, for gods sake. it's so useful for preserving a window for a bit, or just getting out of the way without hiding it fully, and it still tells you it's there (why is there too much by the trash? ah! i remember!)

it also looks good.

Hm. Since I have the dock hide automatically, I don't _see_ those. And since I have already open my applications, switch between apps using Cmd-Tab and open others by either double-clicking documents or using LaunchBar, I basically don't see the Dock anytime at all. Hence, I don't often minimise windows. I'd _love_ WindowShade, but I despise unsanity, so don't tell me there's a solution. ;) WindowShade lets you work in place, without having to move the mouse all the way down or on the side to reach for the Dock. And the menubars don't use much space. Apple _was_ working on "minimize in place" for Jaguar, but got rid of that idea. I loved it... Guess they thought it would look too messy.

Stridder44 said:
For the love of God, PLEASE give us a choice in our UI colors/themes. The same 2 "themes" (and i use the term loosely) are a joke. Give us a choice! For example, being able to choose between Aqua, Brushed, "Plastic", and whatever the new UI is.

I have to agree with you on this one. Even if they would just allows us to change the colors for the menu, that would be fine. I'm a little tired of the blue and would like to see a green highlight or some other color on the highlighting of menu selections, just like we had in OS 9.

Right now, I have a green background and I'm relegated to using the Graphite color scheme which isn't what I would have picked, but it's not blue at least. A nice all-around green theme (not the window widgets specifically, just the highlighting at least) would be my preference. That's how I have KDE and Gnome set up on my Linux machines. The blue is a little tired if you ask me.

And it should have to be something that I have to "add-on" to my OS. Just make it native please. :rolleyes:

Stridder44 said:
And System Sounds! Like in OS 9! I miss my system sounds :-(

Actually, those I could do without. ::ha::

I enjoyed them in the beginning when Mac OS 9 was new, but it quickly got annoying, especially when it sounded like it was lagging when going through the menus thanks to Virtual Memory being enabled. :p

But yes, I think it should be included as well for those who, like yourself, can enjoy that stuff. :D

Lt Major Burns said:
Minimize/windowshade.

I hated windowshade. remove the window from my workspace, so i can see what i'm doing. what are you doing...? why is the bloody title bar still there? bloody hell! i have 10 title bars still present!.

i HATE windowshade. one of the reasons why Classic needed to become classic.

minimize GENUINELY gets the windows out of the way for a bit. and only a bit. it doesn't become a dock resident, for gods sake. it's so useful for preserving a window for a bit, or just getting out of the way without hiding it fully, and it still tells you it's there (why is there too much by the trash? ah! i remember!)

it also looks good.
Fair enough. Now I'll tell you why I hate the Dock, and loved WindowShade:

99% of the time I want to collapse a window, it's because I'm still working with it. I just want it out of my way briefly — usually less than a second — just so I can see/access something behind it real quick. Then I want my window back. With WindowShade, BOOM! Out of my way, and back in focus in a split second.

With the Dock, I have to minimize it, then watch it go through its sucking effect rigamarole (which is an annoying time waster, but, of course, it's necessary when the window is going to an arbitrary location like the Dock), see/get what I want, then go hunting for it in the Dock to get it back. Ugh.

I only consider the Dock's minimization useful for long-term "storage" of windows. (I am tech-ifying the phrase "long-term" to mean "more than a minute". ;)) For that, it's great, and it blows WindowShade out of the water. But for what I used WindowShade for most, the Dock fails miserably.

Which is exactly my point: the Dock is not a good replacement. Great supplement, poor substitute.

Of course, now that we have Exposé, I don't find myself hurting for the lack of WindowShade nearly as much. I still wish I could accomplish what WindowShade did, but now I think more in terms of "I'd like a new Exposé mode" rather than "I want WindowShade back".

WindowShade was _instant_ and _predictable_ compared to both minimizing and Exposé. Much better.

the fourth exposé option is one i want. "remove current application briefly". it';s been talked about on here before briefly, but it is something i'd definately use. just get safari out of the way to see how far the encoding is doing, for example.

Yeah well if they don't include that, just update the command+tab function. Meaning if you hide safari and then it goes to your previous app, when you command+tab it should go back to safari - not the previos app before safari.

I don't know whether Apple would do that one update to Expose' though. Maybe give Expose' some added features, like do a dashboard add more widgets action that reveals the files that would be placed on the desktop, therefore having the desktop clean. I dunno, i think everything is up in the air with Leopard right now.

Mikuro said:
But since I can't close it from the keyboard, I always end up closing my active window instead by mistake. Ugh.
Just wanted to pass on one bit of info, and leave the geekery to those more knowledgeable ;) :p

⌘⌥I closes the Inspector palette (same keyboard shortcut that opens it).

Carry on.

Expose is great. I just want items in the dock to be locked (i.e. can only be removed by holding down the alt key).

I've mentioned this once before in another thread, but it's relevant here too, so I guess I'll mention it again, for anyone looking for a replacement for windowshade functionality, Geekbind: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/14862 has a "fade window" key command that gets the frontmost window (or whichever window the mouse is over) out of the way for a couple of seconds (as long as you hold down the keys). It's not perfect, because you can't really open files or anything (although you can drag them, like say if you wanted to drag a folder of mp3's into iTunes), and it only hides one window at a time, but it still has some usefulness. (Just in case people start throwing things at me for spamming or something, it's not my app or anything. I just use it all the time for the exact things that people are complaining about, so I thought I'd pass it along.)

Back