Lets get together some arguments why MAC is better than PeeCee!!!

It'll be impossible if they have expensive PCs...I used to be one of them, and my PC had cost me so much I was afraid to find I had wasted my money.

On my 18th reinstall of Windows 98 thou, I was fed up, and bought a G4 QuickSilver...can't say I regret

mindbend you made some good points, but you did miss a few.
As you all know the Megahertz myth, but it doesn't pay to get in to that with windows users. Look at any PPC proccessor and compare it to any Pentium, (or any "PC" proccessor for that matter) and look at heat and power consumption of both, hmmm looky there, mac is lower in both areas. Now you mentioned gaming machines. Do you know that the game cube uses a proccessor based very VERY close to the G3, in fact it is an IBM PPC. It runs at 485Mhz, and has ATI graphics. It's kinda like a Mac you connect to your TV. Anyway, we may never "win" this fight in window users minds, but at least we can sit down in front of our Macs at night and smile.

Of anyone of them has a P4, point a finger on him, say "FXCH now needs one processor cycle on your processor!" and start laughing your ass off. You maybe don't get the joke, he maybe not, but anybody who ever programmed in Assembler WILL get it ;) I actually made me a t-shirt with it.

Ah, how I love the flat registry on my G4 ;) (damn, the AMD has one also...)

Guys, you can go on all you want about PPC v X86. The fact of the matter is PPC losses and losses badlly, come on i dare anyone of you to show me a good set of benches like i posted up eaarlier where the best MAC proc beats the best intel and AMD procs. Come on.

M8 i think you will find that nearly everything important in the mac was actually intel and other PC hardware

I.E. PCI, AGP, IDE, USB SDRAM soon to be DDR again after pcs have had it for ages. I mean i dont know what you lot do with that whole 1.1Gbits/s of mem bandwitdth you lot have on those super computers youre all running, give me a brake. Most of you seem to be miny versions of steve jobs.

Come on im waiting for a good review as mentioned above, bet i dont get it,

ohh and the bit about OS level CD burning XPs Cd burning actually works out the box, something you X users couldnt say, oh how is that amazing OS can you play DVDs yet:rolleyes: I hope so

OK, you wanted it:

Photoshop

Final Cut Pro
(compared to DV software on the PC)

Maya 3.5

They all have beaten the PC BADLY. And there are more Apps, Fireworks, for example, Illustrator. As soon as the Altivec kicks in, goodbye P4, goodbye AMD!

And if you argue that, I can't help...

Oh, and our OS 9 had DVD support years before XP ;)
Same goes for native CD burning.

Man, get informed before posting such crap!

Apple have even signed up AMDs Hypertransport. The only reason AMD let apple into the consortium is cos its free advertising. Once jobs opens his mouth about HT the whole world especially most mac users will think its the best thing since sliced bread.

I didnt mention OS9, and i said i want some links to reviews not some MAC user saying it wins in this this and this, are you steve jobs by anychance.

Come on if youre so sure show me some comparisons. It aint gonna happen.

Oh, I forgot...Microsoft never signed a contract about native Firewire support in XP ;) Come on, everybody is borrowing some technology from other from time to time! AMD invented a good thing, why should they wait for Motorola to do it also! The G4 was the first consumer computer to have SIMD support with the Altivec, BEFORE the PIII and P4 got SIMD...from IBM ;)

You are seriously telling me that Photoshop is faster on a PC?

OK, I'm finished with this guy, he is just nuts...

If you think a G4 is gonna beat an Athlon XP at Maya, Final Cut Pro and Photoshop you are seriously mistaken and need to get out and use a real computer before you pass judgement.

YES cant you understand english, besides maybe a couple of filters out of hundreds YES.

You can be finished all you want cos youll lose, you will never find any proof to the contrary.

Why should I search? Everything I present you here would be "baised" in your opinion! I have benchmarks where the G4 867 stomps a 2Ghz P4 in Photoshop in about 18% speed advantage....and not in filters! In stuff you actually NEED, like resizing, changing color modes etc.

I won't go on here. Go to your PC. Be happy! Dream on! Fly around!

Seriously, let's leave the flaming behind for a second:

I admit, that on the overall speed, the Macs, at the moment, are no longer the top! Jobs also realized this, that's why he is pushing towards the G5. He admitted that Apple stayed to long with the G4. There ARE things where a dual Athlon XP is faster than a Dual G4 800. As there are things where a single P4 is faster than a Dual Athlon XP. Or a single G4 is faster than a Dual P4. You get the idea. Processors have disadvantages. For example the Integer Unit on the Athlon. That's why nearly no sane person uses an Athlon as a server (which has to execute MANY integer operations).
I am not dumb, I am not saying that the G4 is faster than the Athlon XP. BUT I am saying that it is faster on Apps which are written for the Altivec engine. There are enough benchmarks of different sources, both Mac guys and PC guys, which show this. It is an aged processor, and it is time that it is replaced. But it still has it's good points, Altivec beeing one of them.

M8 I agree with the stuff that you actuall y need like resize and rotate, but again the Athlon XP rocks at that compared to G4. stop comparing P4 itll be a contender in Jan with tnext revision.

The only comparisons youll get are against P4s( from the apple website i might add) because compared to an Athlon it would get battered, everyone knows that. The Athlon Batters the P4, let alone the G4.

All i want is a full on review like the one i presented earlier with multiple apps to show of the best X86 and PPC. I see everyone going on about PPC v X86 but now when i ask for comprehensive proof no one bringing it.

I know its unfair to be just picking on you but maybe some others will have something later, though i very much doubt it.

Read my above post.

I am NOT saying the G4 is better! Period. I AM insisting on the fact that Altivec apps are faster. But well, to what SHOULD we compare? The top processors? Or the same megahertz count? Or the price tag? Or what?

To me, a computer is more than CPU performance. You have to admit that Apple is in front of other companies when it comes to "inventions". I know it's the wrong word, but I don't know the correct english term.

Come on, Apple managed it to bring DVD-burning to affordable workstations! Not even DeLL managed that. Apple supports Airport since years. You know, these are things which matter to me.

If I think about, i can't believe that I actually fought a G4 agains PC fight on the processor level. It is dumb. PC and Macs are so different from their philosophy, it is not wise to compare them in any performance related way. "Now", you might think, "he quietly agrees that PCs are faster". No. I don't. For example, there are things which take longer on a PC. Not because the CPU is slower. Because the OS doesn't offer me the way to do it as easy as on a Mac! The same might be true in the other direction.
My point is, let's not compare them. There is a reason why you have no Mac. Because you don't like it. Because the important facts for you are the advantages of the PCs. I like the Macs because of the advantages they have.
I used PCs since I was six. Until two years ago. I worked with a Mac for two weeks and then ordered one. Now, the only PC in my house is a Linux box running a house internal Mail server. You see, I found my favourite system. At the same point, if I would have been a game freak, I would have never changed to a Mac! As most graphic designers would NEVER change to PC.
This all doesn't have to do anything with processor speed. It is related to wether you like the whole package (Mac or PC) or not.
It's a bit like cars! There are people paying a hundred thousand dollars for a BMW i745 because they want all it's luxury stuff. At the same time, others pay the same amount for a 911 Porsche or a Viper. The first person wants luxury, the second wants a fast sports car. Would you say the Porsche is better than the BMW because it has a better acceleartion? Becaus you can get faster from A to B?

Hope you get my point...

and if we brought you this proof, stacked to the ceiling, what would you do?

buy a mac? apologize? shut up? go away? make new friends with macs so you can see how they really work?

you know my little imac will never beat your high powered pc's at any kind of speed test. my chevy astro is not likely to win the daytona. but both of them do what i need them to. both of them suit me and my lifestyle. my astro will do better than the speed limit. my imac will put a web page in front of me almost as soon as i click the link. who cares about an nth of a second?
if you had the fastest car made, you would probably kill yourself in a short time. if you need to have the biggest, fastest computer so you can walk around and tell both of your friends and all your enemies that you have the biggest, fastest computer - you're already dead. life is going on without you. i just wonder where you're putting all those seconds you're saving in a day?

i like my imac wheather you or anybody else does. of course the fact that it is the single highest selling computer model of all time might mean there are quite a few people who like it as well. if you've got a computer you like, then good for you. I personally hope people keep buying lots of intel products because intel contributes huge sums of money to buy up and preserve open coastal lands in the sf bay area. please, go buy each bigger and faster computer as soon as they become available so i will have beautiful places to be when i'm not at my computer. so go tell both your friends to buy them as well. then you will all be the same and feel good about each other. me, i've been feeling good about myself and owning a mac since long before any of my friends owned any kind of computer. and i feel even better knowing that i have an imac and you have the biggest fastest computer.:D

huh, you do own one of the fastest computers don't you?

Yes i see what you are saying, and as i said my posts really werent aimed at a person such as yourself. You obviously look at things objectively. My posts are aimed at the people who sit here and go on and on about X86 vs PPC.

You prefer MACs i respect that. Like i said id have one too if i could afford both but i cant at the moment.

Back