Lets get together some arguments why MAC is better than PeeCee!!!

ill give ya firewire, cos thats the one im not sure on, i dont think Apple developed IEE 1394 i think they just renamed it firewire, if that is the case PC's probably did get it first else if apple developed it then id think they definately got it first :)

Originally posted by FrgMstr
M8 i could have written those down for you in my original post, you are so predictable. If you think for one second you had those things in Macs before i could have gone out at any time months before and shoved it in My PC you are seriously mistaken and i mean seriously.

sorry m8, if you can think of any others, id like to hear them. USB before PCs LMAO

i can think of a few things that the Mac platform wouldnt be very far without, hmm PCI, AGP, SDRAM etc.

no need to start insulting, it puts you across in a bad light.

Eh, does it really matter what hardware something comes out for first? Frankly it makes more sense to try out new hardware on PCs. Bigger test audience. Lots of dumber people with money to burn and a habit of tossing $ into their computers every month to "upgrade" when they could have bought a Mac and had everything they needed for years to come.

Seriously, its not about "we had it first!" It's more about "look how much more you can get done in such an easy way through a more beautiful interface and it even physically looks cool.... [drool]."

Besides, its hard for the majority to admit they were wrong about how they spent their money. Its a pride thing. No one wants to feel cheated, it makes you seem like a loser and someone who doesn't thoroughly research all the options before making a large purchasing decision.

Not that I have anything against PC hardware. Its great for building cheap headless servers and routers etc. if you install a good *nix distro on it. But if you want to actually USE your computer however ...

I hope you know what side of this i am on right now but i have to stop and say be realistic thedbp!
when they could have bought a Mac and had everything they needed for years to come.

there isn't even a mac made that will stay current for years without some upgrading!! i don't have much money but i do spend some of it on my mac every month or two. I'm trying to get some things moved to firewire from usb, i need software updates for osx compatible programs, new peripherals are being created all the time, etc.

please don't fuel the fires of claims that we live in a fantasy world with oversimplifications like this!! Your initial claim about being a better test market was a good one. no need to stretch the truth on this one.

Originally posted by JohnnyV

3. Airport - Again not and Apple invented idea, but was brought into wide use because of Apple. Apple again put wireless networking ablities across the board in all their products before any PC maker had, plus I believe that it wasn't and maybe still isn't supported by windoze w/o extra software/drivers while the Mac OS supports it out of box.

That's pretty tough to believe. 802.11b would have taken off with or without Apple 5% marketshare. What I will give them credit for is building the antenna into the machine so a dumb antenna doesn't stick out the side. In addition to that, it get's better reception then my other card. Way to go Apple.

Somebody said in another post that apple is good at software and design. I agree completely. I love this iBook but it's the software and the style I like, not the hardware. (Or at least not the mobo, cpu, etc.)

I'm not sure what my point is here. Maybe it's just that I can't live with inaccurate information any better than FrgMstr.

I have to agree with thedbp a bit. I think the Macs will have a longer average life than the PC. Have you ever worked on a PC and then worked on a Mac with the same specs? In most cases the Mac will have better results. My G4 500 Blows the doors off my Overclocked K6III 450. At work I have used PIII 1Ghz machines that feel way slower than my G4. I dont have any technical details but in usability you can feel a definite difference. It may be out dated but it still hangs.

and that's a very realistic way to put it b4tn. I find that much easier to agree with.

If you think a G4 is gonna beat an Athlon XP at Maya, Final Cut Pro and Photoshop you are seriously mistaken and need to get out and use a real computer before you pass judgement.

I would love to prove to you that the Mac G4 kicks an athlon XP at Final Cut Pro, but alas, the emerging new standard for non-linear video editing doesn't exactly exist on the PC side, making such comparisons, well quite impossible. Of course, with the boatloads of software out there for the PC that doesn't exist for the Mac I'm sure you can find an equivolent product. Oh wait, no you can't. Just my two cents.

SJB you seem to be a bit smug that there is no Final Cut Pro for the PC, so what. Its Apple software of course they wont port it to PC, besides if the PC needed it or it allowed you to do something that a PC couldnt already do the PC would GET it and get it fast. Thats a fact you have to live with its called market Share.

And ive seen an AthlonXP using Maya you wont Prove me wrong.

Thanks Ed for pointing out the stretching of the truth by thedbp (Saved me doing it) that is exactly the type of thing i was on about earlier:) Saying they make headless servers and whatever else is just so , well thats just say i shouldnt even waste my time correcting him.

M8 Macs last longer then PCs cos you have no choice, if you bough a Dual 800 G4 a year ago you would still have it cos there still isnt anything better, doesnt take a computer scientist to figure that out :D (couldnt resist), if i bought a Dual Athlon 1.2Ghz machine 6 months ago i would now have a Dual Athlon MP1900 machine ( in half the time frame i might add).

The above reason is the only reason they last longer and cos they are so damned expensive you wanna get a bit more milage out of the B******D, i should know im trying to get one now.

you compared a G4-500 to a 1Ghz P3, that aint gonna fell faster then the P3 to often unless you are using one very C**P windows installation, besides you can buy 1 gig chips for £45 now in fact i have 3 >1gig chips in my Desk Drawer from past machine when ive built new machines and swapped procs etc over time.

Try buy a G4 500 on its own without selling a body part.

Again you force me to bring out the Evil truth too this forum which many of you hate so much, not all though

Oh and with respect to the Dual Athlon machine i mentioned above if i now bought that XP 1900 machine i could still go out and buy a new dual 1200 but at half the Price it was 6 months ago.

Thats something you sure as hell aint gonna see with Apple and its something that really hurts bad.

anything NT based doesnt have a blue screen of death:)

Seriously my XP comp aint been rebooted in 2 months and it hasnt crashed once.

FrgMstr,

Have to disagree here. Yes NT based OS's have the BSD, but it not the same as 9X. What happens is the OS goes to a blue screen with the error at the top of the screen and it begins to dump the memory to the hard drive. You don't have an option to get out of it. Reboot the machine and you are back in business.

NT4, Win2k, and Win XP will Blue Screen, but if they do something is very wrong, usually a hardware driver issue. It doesn't happen that often though. :D

Neither is better than the other.

Both have their following. It is hard to beat a MAC in their nick market, Highend graphics, as they are very fast.:D

It is a choice that the user makes when he or she buys the machine.

MAC's don't out perform PC's in general, it is more application specific than that.

The MAC's OS is faster than say Win 98, but the CPU's are far behind the PC's.

There are choices and anyone than downs someone else for making a choice to buy say a MAC over a PC or vice versa is a fool.

Somewhere in this thread someone posted that PC users are stupid.

That statement couldn't be more wrong, and arrogent. :rolleyes:

The Sun doesn't rise and set on MAC's or PC's for that matter.

The world doesn't revolve around MAC's or the people who use them.

The MAC OS is a great OS, very fast and efficient.
The hardware on the other hand, while very good is MAC specific.

You can't go down to say CompUSA and buy all the parts and build a MAC, you can with a PC.

That is the only reason I don't own a MAC. I can't built it so that means I would have to spend alot more cash than I care to spend.

If Steve would make his OS so I could run it on my PC's I would.

The fact is 95% of the world are using PC's and 5% are using MAC's.

I tried to say this some pages back, but people still insist on fighting it out.

It's a stupid "My Dad is stronger than your Dad"-thing, but well, let them fight...

Originally posted by ulrik
I tried to say this some pages back, but people still insist on fighting it out.

It's a stupid "My Dad is stronger than your Dad"-thing, but well, let them fight...

You have a Point.:D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
there isn't even a mac made that will stay current for years without some upgrading!! i don't have much money but i do spend some of it on my mac every month or two. I'm trying to get some things moved to firewire from usb, i need software updates for osx compatible programs, new peripherals are being created all the time, etc.

please don't fuel the fires of claims that we live in a fantasy world with oversimplifications like this!! Your initial claim about being a better test market was a good one. no need to stretch the truth on this one.

i'm not exactly stretching the truth per se – I didn't say it would stay current. That is a bit ludicrous. But here I am, using a 5 year old 8600 with stock processor and hard drive with no additional video card as a 16-track digital audio station, serious photoshop work, etc. It doesn't even have that much RAM, "only" 256. All I'm saying is, most 5-year old PC clones are being used as doorstops right now.

I certainly didn't mean to incite a riot. Just mention a stark contrast that I noticed. I mean, I use a Quadra660 for certain stuff. I've used a Quadra660 and an external 1GB Hard Drive to do offsite audio stuff that I didn't wanna lug either my 8600 or G3 around for. That 660 setup, manufactured in 1993, cost me $35 on eBay and allowed me to get a DAT-quality recording of a friend's band's show very easily.

Never underestimate the power of the Low End Mac.
http://www.lowendmac.com

ill give ya firewire, cos thats the one im not sure on, i dont think Apple developed IEE 1394 i think they just renamed it firewire, if that is the case PC's probably did get it first else if apple developed it then id think they definately got it first :)

Apple most assuredly devoloped this tech. Anyone else remember the fiasco of the Wintel world getting pissed because of Apple's licensing fees on Firewire?

Ah, memories of my Quadra 660 AV, perhaps the coolest machine Apple ever released (for its time). I absolutely loved mine and I am baffled why Apple dumped the S-Video ins, telephony features and other stuff that made that machine so damn cool it caused *all* my then Windows freinds to gawk, mumble and yearn for a machine like mine. I sold mine years ago and wonder where it is now. Happy, I hope...

IIRC, whenever somewhere on the world one firewire port is "built" into anything, 1 dollar goes to Apple...something along these lines

it DEFINITELY was developed by Apple to conquer the DV market...what they achieved (not with DV pros all buying Macs but with a new BUS standard for DV)

Back