Mac 10.4.1 is up!!

Exposé work well for me on both my Dual 1.8 G5 and Tibook 400MHz. You may have to trouble shoot your system.

One thing you might want to check is if you have any old kernel drivers or such installed. I found, for example, after ripping out VirtualPC and its drivers that Tiger ran much smoother whereas before it was running very slow (even if I wasn't running VirtualPC). I suspect this may have to do with how the kernel locks in Tiger as opposed to how it locks in Panther; perhaps the older drivers are creating too much lock contention and slowing things down.

Quartz 2D Extreme doesn't appear to be enabled by default yet, but I enabled it permanently in Quartz Debug and things like the Dock and Expose are much smoother than in 10.4.0. I suspect they fixed most of the problems with Q2DE and Core Image, so I'm leaving it turned on for now.

i clean installed, and only re-installed haxies if they were tiger-ready. so there can't be anything left over.

with regards to q2dx, i've had that permanently on for the last two weeks or so, and noticed... not a lot. not really any noticable speed increase/decrease, but then i've got the "base" gfx card for it.

here's my revert-to-panther-rant in full (http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56087). i've repeated myself to much now, mod's i';m sorry, but i'm in a state and i've got a good feeling apple support will go "wha...?". and the knowledge base is so much better here it seems.

Lt Major Burns said:
i clean installed, and only re-installed haxies if they were tiger-ready. so there can't be anything left over.

Just a question but did you try to run totally haxie free? They do not have a good rep on the Apple development lists.

alright, so if .1 istn the culprit, what is? I did the upgrade feature, but I took all the precautions. any advice to speed up expose besides "clean install", which everyone seems so fond of...

Yeah. It's almost a perversion of either Mac OS X and/or language to use "clean install" and "re-installed haxies" in one sentence... Oops, now I did it, too... :p

Btw.: Don't forget about the basic troubleshooting tips of Mac OS X. Most of the things still apply to Tiger.

- Repair volumes.
- Repair permissions.
- Create a test user to check whether it's simply some messed-up preference file.
- Try a clean install.
- TRY that clean install before installing ANYthing else - even your personal files and settings.
- Zap PRAM.
- _Then_ come here...

There's still the possibility that something about your hardware and/or software just doesn't do well with Tiger (yet). But I haven't personally seen any big trouble with Tiger since 8A420 that wasn't related to some or other preference file or not-updated-for-Tiger-yet third party software. Not on four completely different machines so far (iBook G3/800, iBook G4/800, PowerBook G4/1.33, iMac G4 20"/1.25 GHz). Of course this list of machines is in no way complete. Still...

Am I the only person who thinks a full erase and reinstall should be the LAST option, not one of the first?

oh yeah, and whats the old Panther Safari font settings?

i'm really not sure what you mean by that. it shouldn't be any different in tiger than in panther. unless some of the CSS compliant coding inside Safari's code has changed, which probably means you can't just readjust it through Safari's settings...

I'm gonna try a clean install of Tiger and then 10.4.1 before installing anything else, just to see if this cures my expose problems.

I'll let you guys know.

by "haxie's" i meant things like synergy (indespensible itunes remote), salling clicker, pthhelmet and usb monitor. thats it. 4.

my permissions and disk repair gets done about 1ce a week, from boot cd.

i don't know how to zap P-RAM. please tell me!

i am up for any help here.

i just booted back into tiger, and created a user account. gota bout 5 minutes in, tryed to run illustrator, and it wouldn't open, 3 times. cam up with an error and asked me if i'd like to reopen it again.... back on slow main user, but the new user wasn't an faster, still a LOT of disk access. i can't live witouth the little haxies.... and they are trusted! (aren't they, well all except usb monitor, i think.)

Lt Major Burns said:
i just booted back into tiger, and created a user account. gota bout 5 minutes in, tryed to run illustrator, and it wouldn't open, 3 times. cam up with an error and asked me if i'd like to reopen it again.... back on slow main user, but the new user wasn't an faster, still a LOT of disk access. i can't live witouth the little haxies.... and they are trusted! (aren't they, well all except usb monitor, i think.)

If you have a lot of Disk access, could it be that Spotlight is rampaging on your HDD...?

Clean install. No haxies (don't run them normally). But i didn't even import any documents.

Exposé is still performing badly when more than 2 windows need to be "Exposéd".

I repaired permissions, ran fsck, etc..

One thing i did notice...when the Dock is visible, Exposé is even choppy with two windows...i'd like to quit Dashboard and/or the Dock completely to see if that is the problem.

Is that a good idea?

he's right. it's not the third party stuff. (they worked in panther, why not in tiger? and apparently, they are all tiger-ready) plus, without them, it;s almost not worth using the computer.

with regards to the disk access, it's not the same as spotlight indexing thrashing (it indexed my drives long ago), it's just a lot more disk use to open anything, compared to panther.

Burns, i have almost the same Mac you have. Mine is even the Rev. A model. I DO NOT have any the problems you and MHB have described. The only two differences are a video card and I do not have Illustrator. I believe maybe you and MB try to compare your two machines to try to trace down what is going on. The smallest detail could be important!

i've private messaged mb, detailing my system. satcomer, mine is rev b so i don't have pci-express, and i only have 1gb of ram compared to your 4.5gb (!). i'm guessing also that the x800xt is superior to my 9600xt 128mb....

it could be the better graphics and more ram that's causng you to see it the way it should... the disk activity is definately swap, page in/outs. which is bad, as panther had perfect memory mangement....

nothings actually happening at the moment... i'm just printing. i've got 4 a4 illustrator windows open and two safri windows

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 13
FINALLY!

So i was futsing around with some of the cool graphics tools that come with XCode 2.0 on the Tiger install DVD. I made my way to Quartz Debug, and looked around a bit, found something called Beam Sync, which sounded interesting.

I disabled Beam Sync, and now Exposé works beautifully -- Like on Panther!

I have no idea why this works, or why with Beam Sync enabled on other computers, Exposé is fine, but I'll take it for now.

only thing is, i think i have to do this every time i boot, right?

Let me know if it works for you.

EDIT: looks like quartz debug has to be running for this to 'stick'
damn. :(

EDIT 2:
hehe - if you Force Quit Quartz Debug with Beam Sync off, it sticks.

Still, i think we'd have to do this every time we boot...quite annoying, but it works for now...hopefully this will get totally ironed out.

Back