Mac Book Pro Memory upgrade

ihero06

Registered
My MBP is Intel Core Duo (2.16 GHz) and has 512 MB memory. I would like to upgrade the memory. Your suggestions?

They're all good. Make sure, however, that it has "lifetime guarantee" as most do.

I suggest Macsales.com

If I remember correctly mac uses Kingston ram with a special heat protection for laptops. When looking for ram, there should be an Apple certification or just a guarantee that it will work fine on a mac. If you need to save money any type of ram will work and never buy from apple.

If you live in Canada which I doubt, they do ship to US, i suggest: canadaram.com (keep in mind its in canadian dollars) but the links above seem to be cheaper anyways.

If I remember correctly mac uses Kingston ram with a special heat protection for laptops
Apple uses RAM from several manufacturers, including Kingston, Micron, and others. There is nothing special that Apple does to its RAM -- no special "heat protection," no nothing -- it's the same RAM as you can find anywhere else. Apple just charges an arm and a leg for it.

Apple uses RAM from several manufacturers, including Kingston, Micron, and others. There is nothing special that Apple does to its RAM -- no special "heat protection," no nothing -- it's the same RAM as you can find anywhere else. Apple just charges an arm and a leg for it.

"OWC Memory for Apple Mac Pro models fully meets and/or exceeds both JEDEC and Apple Design Specifications including use of specific required heat-shield and chip components."
Source: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

Yes, I know it is for Mac Pro's but apple still has some requirements for MacBook Pro's and I said kingston because I own a MacBook Pro and when I opened it out that's what I found. Also, Kingston is a generic brand that lots know and trust, and it meets all standards. I thought ihero06 should have that small bit of info.

Last edited:
If it's a laptop from Apple and it had Kingston RAM in it, chances are more likely that's an upgrade by the consumer or the shop that sold it. I've had 3 of their laptops in the past 10 years, and worked on quite a few for friends. Never once have I seen anything but Samsung RAM in them. They may have done it, but I've never come across one that has it. I have heard rumors of Micron being used though.

Stick with a good quality RAM that's warrantied and preferably has been tested on a Mac system. Crucial (2x1GB is $36) is a good source as well as OWC (2x1GB is $40-43). Match it if possible for the best performance (not any huge gain, but there is a difference.)

Back