Mac OS 11?

Thaw/Joeth - threre is no need to call names. please refrain from the use of the word stupid when referring to another site member. Referring to what they did as being stupid is fine. Referring to them as being stupid in not. Understand?

How stupid is dave17lax? Putting wwwdotappledotcom/macosx is completely stupid and wastes peoples time.....

Ed Spruilel.:mad:

Did you delete my 'joeth' username?
I went back to edit that post you didn't approve of and found someone had disabled my ACCOUNT. I'd also decided to switch back to joeth for other reasons.

Please reply

Joe

no Thaw, it wasn't me. It's not my job to decide who stays and goes. that would be Admin's domain. You will need to ask him. I appreciate your making the effort to go back and edit though.:)

I'm back now.... all sorted....

Back on Topic.

Mac OS 10.2 is out September (am I right?), so the next update will probably 10.5, so looking at it logically, 10.5 could jump to Mac OS XI, or it could go 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, (11) XI. Whether it'll be called XI remains to be seen, what do you all think....

10.2 may not make it out till October.

I feel this may be so because of their Public Preview of Quicktime 6 ends in October. Though I would think there would be some overlap in this so it could still be possible that 10.2 would be out a month ealier then the expiration of their preview release of Quicktime.

And I believe that Apple will stay inline with their numbering system and make the next OS 'Mac OS 11'. Anything else just does not look right and would be a marketing hell for Apple if they change their naming so dramatically that people get confused and lose interest in their product.

You have to remember that there is a vast majority of computer users out there that have a short attention span and will forget a product name if it gets too complicated. I do it all the time and I may of bought the product if I only remembered what it was called.

I can't wait for 10.... I agree XI would be a bit of a bad move.

System 11 maybe the name..... System 6 and 7 were names before the New Mac OS 8,9,10, and then X. It's not likely to change back, but, it remains to be seen.

Ha ha!!!!!:D

That's funny!

Yeah, microsoft would love that.... in fact Apple if your listening call the next release Mac OS XP, Microsoft copy you so copy them.

He he!;)

10.2 may not make it out till October.

Doubtful. Software schedules can slip, but since Apple set the "final" release date of Mac OS X 10.0 for March 24th, 2000, they have been on target with their announcements, even if they are off by a day or so.

Jobs said late summer, and that means at the latest, end of September (as 10.1 was announced for late summer and shipped September 19th). I'm sure we'll get a more solid announcement at Macworld, but the way the builds are coming, and the rumblings from Apple insiders seem to suggest that 10.5 will be released earlier than expected, not later.

Firstly, I agree with the post ^above^. Making October the expiry month for QT 6 PR doesn't mean October is going to be the release date for Jaguar. Apple is merely giving itself and users time to transition from the preview version to the final version of QT 6, which will ship once the MPEG-4 licensing issues are resolved. Arguing that QT 6 PR's expiry date has anything to do with Mac OS X or Jaguar, an entirely different product, is shortsighted.

Secondly, Apple is referring to Jaguar as 10.2 internally. It might turn out to be 10.5 once we get closer to release, but at this point it's incorrect to refer to the next update as 10.5. It's safer to just use the codename, like Apple.

Thirdly, the absolute final deadline for Jaguar is August 22. Apple will most likely ship product sooner than that, since morale within the Jag team is high and development is progressing smoothly, but if things go ugly, this is the date we will see Jag at the very latest.

And finally, Apple will never, ever call the next major version number revision "Mac OS X 11.0". The X stands for Ten, and that would make it "Mac OS Ten Eleven" (Mac OS 1011). Very messy and confusing. I'm willing to bet that Apple either moves back to Arabic numbering from the (very ugly and confusing) Roman numerals, or comes up with an entirely new versioning scheme altogether.

Thirdly, the absolute final deadline for Jaguar is August 22

Where did you get that date? The only mention of a timetable has been "late summer", which means anytime before September 21st (last day of summer).

Secondly, Apple is referring to Jaguar as 10.2 internally. It might turn out to be 10.5 once we get closer to release, but at this point it's incorrect to refer to the next update as 10.5. It's safer to just use the codename, like Apple.

True, but we all know Apple isn't using 10.2 as the release title. It's a marketing thing, but releasing as 10.2 doesn't really signify it being that big an upgrade, and Apple wants to be able to convince people that it's worth their $99 (or more). Personally, I'd like Apple to keep each upgrade at a .1, .2, .3, etc, in line with what year it's released (.1 = 2001, .2=2002, .3=2003, etc), but I doubt they will follow that numbering scheme...

And finally, Apple will never, ever call the next major version number revision "Mac OS X 11.0". The X stands for Ten, and that would make it "Mac OS Ten Eleven" (Mac OS 1011). Very messy and confusing. I'm willing to bet that Apple either moves back to Arabic numbering from the (very ugly and confusing) Roman numerals, or comes up with an entirely new versioning scheme altogether.

I'm hoping that by the time Apple comes up with whatever follows 10.5, that they dump the "X" from the main marketing name anyway. "Mac OS" is just fine. By the next major release, it will be the only shipping Mac OS, and chances are it will be the only Apple OS that will boot on the current hardware (rumor has it the new Pro Macs being released this summer will not boot OS 9, except through Classic)...

It's not pronounced ten-dot-o! I've never heard ANYONE say that here in the US or otherwise. It sounds dumb and if someone did say it i'd probably laugh at them. ten-point-o sounds much better and is the correct way!

Actually, I think steve Jobs pronounces it with "dot" instead of point. As I said before, "dot" for the internet and "point" for software

Originally posted by serpicolugnut

Where did you get that date? The only mention of a timetable has been "late summer", which means anytime before September 21st (last day of summer).
I work for Finnish Mac publication Macsanomat and let's just say that the birdies sing louder on the inside.

Back