Mac OS X 10.3.6 Seeded

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
Over the weekend, Apple released the first seed of OS X 10.3.6: build 7R10. This update works to resolve issues with disc burning as well as “web browsing, audio, USB, graphics card drivers, and OpenGL.”

From

http://railheaddesign.com/

I'm trying to migrate our current macintosh image to some new iMac G5's, and the build needed for the etch-a-sketch iMacs is newer than a fully updated version on any other machine. In classic Apple fashion I'm hoping that 10.3.6 will unify the image again. I'm wondering if it's worth building the image from scratch on the new iMac at this time because it's a good man-week or two of work to reinstall all these applications.

So long-story-short - does the seed look ready to release? Anyone know something I don't?

If it is seeded, IIRC it normally takes about a week or two before it appears on Software Update. Maybe we should just wait a little longer?

It's 7R9 that has been widely seeded. It'll take a few more builds before release, I'm guessing... Viro: It was several more weeks for 10.3.5 IIRC... Lemme look at the macnews.net.tc archives: Release was on 2004-08-09 (7M34), first seed reported 2004-07-09 (7M18).

OK.... so does that make it two more weeks (approx) before its released if we're going by precedent?

So I've made a one off build of my image just for iMac G5's and hope to throw that away and go back to a unified deployment image when 10.3.6 rolls around. This whole building an image from scratch for a new model is so ... PC. yech. I'm glad it goes away. Having images for purposes like Faculty, Student etc. is so much cleaner than having images based on hardware.

Anyway, I have no problems with 10.3.5 except etch-a-sketch support. I'll wait patiently now.

Apple has seeded 10.3.6 7R14 now. Still looking good. AppleInsider says 'next 30 days' for release. Sounds about right. Could be sooner, could also be later, but I'd say the next two weeks will show us a release.

Java 1.5 doesn't modify the JVM in anyway. All it adds are new constructs to the Java language, such as generics, enhanced for loop, etc. So what this means is you should be able to run Java 1.5 code on the current line of Macs.

All you need is a compiler that can compile the Java 1.5 language constructs. Thankfully, it already exists on the Mac :). Go download the latest build of Eclipse. It supports pretty much all of Java 1.5 (96.7%).

EDIT: Hmm.... well, maybe not. You might need the Java 1.5 libraries to go with it. I'm downloading Eclipse now to try.

bobw said:
Over the weekend, Apple released the first seed of OS X 10.3.6: build 7R10. This update works to resolve issues with disc burning as well as “web browsing, audio, USB, graphics card drivers, and OpenGL.”
what is this issue with disk burning? I am having some probs with burning DVDs lately and I actually blamed it on the media. Is it a software prob?

Probably just silly bugs, like sometimes I put in a CD-R and two icons pop up instead of one. I eject one, one vanishes, still leaving one CD icon on the desktop. Try to open that and it gets very confused.......

Apple has now seeded Mac OS X 10.3.6 7R20, both Server and Client versions. Wrapping up is in progress. Probably as early as next week we'll see a final build, it seems.

Back