Mac OS X 10.4.3 - Update good/bad?

How did you update and how did it go?

• Updated through Software Update: No problems.

• Updated through Software Update: Had problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: No problems.

• Downloaded the Combo Updater: Had problems.

Results are only viewable after voting.
After my battery disaster with a Jaguar update, I always d/l the combo update and take out my battery before running it. I use SU for non OS updates though.

This one, as all of them, went fine. I'm not sure if the speed increase I got is from the update or the permission repair and other housecleaning I did at the same time.

1.33 iBook

From MacFixIt;

Fan problems (continued) Users continue to report problems with increased fan activity after installation of Mac OS X 10.4.3. As noted yesterday, the most effective workarounds for this issue are resetting the SMU, zapping NVRAM and changing processor performance settings.

Update: Disk Utility is suddenly working fine for me. It permanently hung before displaying the list of disks before, and it did so on more than one user account, across several restarts, and after repairing permissions. But today it's working fine. I can't think of anything I've done that might have changed it. The whole thing is a mystery to me.

Maybe after the update there's stuff going on in the background that hinders Disk Utility from doing _its_ job correctly... Now that those background tasks (journaling? Spotlight indexing?) are done, everything's fine...

I updated yesterday morning to 10.4.3 via the software update - now i can use ichat but not the video conferencing option. I get this message when i try:

NSInvalidArgumentException:
*** -[FZVideoConferenceController setValidatedIdentity:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x40c7b0]

And now Software update doesnt work either - it 'quits unexpectedly' half way through.

Help! - this iChat is my only connection to my children and my husband while I am overseas.

Mine went perfectly, as it always has done.

I don't have any add-ons or UI changing software though, which seems to be the cause of most peoples problems.

My hard disk was working away happily when I first re-started, doing the whole indexing thing again I guess, took about 10 minutes.

Lt Major Burns said:
why shouldn't we use software update? (this is a rant btw) - it's an Apple thing, its very microsoft having to go to a website and downloading something and installing it.

Software update is simple.

Say what? Windows update will download and install automatically if you set it to do so. Or you can have it automatically download and notify before install. Or notify before doing either. There's absolutely no need to go to any website and download anything with XP.

This is NOT a "windows vs. mac" post and I'm typing this on my mac mini, but windows update does not require people to manually go anywhere. At least not on XP. I don't know about 98, and I can't imagine why anyone would still run 98 anyway.

Used SU. Everything works except for VirtualDesktop Lite 3.2!!!
It crashed everytime after 5-9 secs
Worse day of my life!

Even tried reinstalling the s/w but no luck

:(

I've applied the 10.4.3 update after manually downloading the Combo Updater. So far so good. I noticed initially that the OS would take a little longer to boot, but after "fsck" in Single User Mode and a repair on permissions everything is back to normal. All apps seem to be working fine.

Also note that I performed the upgrade after I unplugged all peripherals leaving only the keyboard and the mouse. I also copied the .pkg to the desktop instead of running it from the mounted disk image.

hangtown said:
Say what? Windows update will download and install automatically if you set it to do so. Or you can have it automatically download and notify before install. Or notify before doing either. There's absolutely no need to go to any website and download anything with XP.

This is NOT a "windows vs. mac" post and I'm typing this on my mac mini, but windows update does not require people to manually go anywhere. At least not on XP. I don't know about 98, and I can't imagine why anyone would still run 98 anyway.

The problem with only doing it over an internet update is when the connection is lost. BSOD city when you can't quit out of it in Windows, and kernel panics if it happens on the Mac. I find it safer to download the Combo Updater so that I not only have a secure install, but that way I have the ability to update other machines to 10.4.3 if they don't have a fast connection or if they don't have 10.4.2 installed. Burn it to a CD or put it into a USB stick and you're good to go. :D

Right after the upgrade for some reason my the fans on my g5 dual 2.5 got louder, even when i'm not using the computer ,i can hear them ....... anybody else experiencing this? :(

From MacFixIt;

Fan problems (continued) Users continue to report problems with increased fan activity after installation of Mac OS X 10.4.3. As noted yesterday, the most effective workarounds for this issue are resetting the SMU, zapping NVRAM and changing processor performance settings.

used su on my da 466 and haven't had any problems. as nix said the first boot after the update took forever, but every boot there after has been as quick as before. and so far every app i've used worked as it should. dashboard does seem a little quicker, but still doesn't load or refresh widgets till after you click on dashboard once. a real pain that apple should fix i think. my mac can be on for an hour, and unless i have gone to dashboard at least once after a boot, the widgets are not loaded, and i have to wait a min or so for them to load, and connect to the servers(weather ones). once i do that, they stay updated in the background without being in the front. why is this?
well, not i'll try it on my brothers da 533 and see if all goes well.

...ours too. Fans fire up at the oddest times,,,never happened before update to 4.3. Also, Disk Utility always shows the same long list of preference fixes and we have an error message when FirstAid is run: "Volume Header needs minor repair",,,apparently there are two illegal names (somewhere). Garry 'n Karri

Regarding the previous post, is anyone else getting the "minor errors" / can't repair in Disk Utility? I've read the MacFixit posts on permission problems but it is unclear to me if we should ignore ALL Disk Utility errors such as "minor errors" Also, is anyone suddenly getting fsck and applejack errors?

Thanks.

So we see a 1:4 ratio for SU and a 1:9 for Combo. Although the actual numbers are nowhere near being large enough for an empiric study, I'd still say that it just doesn't _hurt_ to "go combo" in the future.

What I, however, DON'T know is _why_ this seems to be the case (that SU updates fail more often than combo updates do...). In my opinion, a delta updater doesn't replace file XYZ because the very same version already _is_ installed, hence the updater is smaller. In fact: I think that the combo updater does the same work if you're installing on a system that would allow the delta installer to work. It checks first which files need to be installed and should _not_ install anything else than what the delta installer installs...

Regardless: It's the combo updaters you want, for present and future installations...

To Virtual Warrior:

It's too bad no one's (apparently) offered you suggestions yet.

Here are a few:

Idea 1:
Borrow a Mac keyboard. Start up your machine with the Tiger install disc in the drive holding down C. Perform an "Archive and Install". I think it's available in Options when you first start the install. Look for the Options button, I think, near the bottom. This mode will preserve your data and should fix your botched install.

Idea 2:
If you have another Mac (or probably a Windows machine with a Firewire port) and a six pin to six pin Firewire cable, you can use Firewire Target Disk Mode. Very cool. It will allow you to mount your Mini's hard drive on another machine so you can get your important data off and then reformat and start over.
1) Connect the machines using the cable.
2) Turn your Mac off and the other machine on.
3) Turn the Mac on while holding down the T key.
4) Wait until you see the Firewire symbol on the screen. You should see your Mac's hard drive mounted on the other machine.

If neither strategy works, let us know. Good luck

Doug

Back