MacBook Air claims has external disk...

alra111

Registered
Dear colleagues,

I have the MacBoook Air and its SuperDrive. I used it the Superdrive. I succesfully got the disk out of the drive by following Apple's instructions "Choose Apple menu > Restart and hold down the mouse or trackpad button until the disc ejects." (Per Apple's instructions at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=mac/10.4/en/mh1750.html). However, The MacBook Air still says Eject Remote Disk.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Rafael David González
rafagon@me.com

"Eject Remote Disk" doesn't have anything to do with the Superdrive connected to the MacBook Air.

Are you referencing the icon in the menubar? If so, you can remove this by option-dragging the icon out of the menubar.

If I'm misunderstanding the problem, can you provide a screen shot for clarity?

Yes, a superdrive drive attached to a MacBook Air is not a remote disk, but is a local disk. A remote disk will be one on another computer, which doesn't have to be a Mac computer, and that computer would be connected to your network.

Sir, here is the screen shot. Sorry for the delay.

w1h0w4

Thank you for your help!

The "Remote Disk" in question is immediately below the iDisk icon.

Remote Disk is not your external burner, and has no function involving your external superdrive. It's a standard element on the MBA, and also the newer mini (reflecting its option to have no internal burner)

That icon is only used to indicate a superdrive in another computer available for a remote install, and has no other purpose.

If you want to remove that icon from the sidebar, just drag it out.

You don't drag it out, you leave it there. It's a function of the system through which you can access another computer's (PC or Mac) optical drive, which has to be shared. Either way: It's not something to be removed, but something to be left alone. ;) It shouldn't bother you.

It can be removed by visiting the "Preferences" of the Finder, selecting the "Sidebar" pane, then unchecking "CDs, DVDs, and iPods"

The side-effect is that, well, CDs, DVDs and iPods will no longer show in the sidebar either.

Not only is it a standard element on certain Apple computers, it's a standard element in Leopard and Snow Leopard for all Apple computers. It was originally intended for the MacBook Air, which lacked an optical drive -- and it allowed the MacBook Air to access the CD/DVD drive of another networked Apple computer to be able to install software from a CD or DVD to the MacBook Air. It is now available for all Apple computers, and is useful for those that lack optical drives... like the new Mac mini server and MacBook Air.

Back