MacOSX 10.4 from an eMAC

thewelshman

Registered
Can anyone see a reason why I can't use the MacOSX 10.4 distributed DVDs from an eMac and install it on a Standlone G4?

Has anyone done this.

Thanks for any comment

One, those CDs are meant to be used only on those machines. Only the retail version is installable on all.

Two, the license is specifically for THAT machine if it is using it. If you actually DO get to install it on the other Mac, you would have to remove Mac OS X from that eMac or you will be violating licensing agreements.

Also, I recently tried to install a Tiger DVD that was distributed with a Powerbook on my Powerbook and it didn't let me. The same 'cannot be installed on this computer' message came up. So i think it might be more than just machine specific. I'm thinking that distribution copies are meant to be installed based on the time the particular computer was created. Maybe the install reads the computers serial number and knows whether or not it is a new computer based on that and not the type of machine it is???

nixgeek: I was more interested in what actually can be done, rather that deal with the moral implications at this time.

The licenses are "single user" much like a lot of software, meaning that you can have as many copies as you like providing you don't run more than one at a time, we use FlexLM to enforce that rule so making it useable only by one peson at a time.

I agree that software that you buy, load, use and then sell/giveaway should be removed from your own computer. I am 100% sure you all do this out there.

thepresso: Yes I've seen that in the past also, I'll have to look into that one.

I have a powerbook and a powerbook Tiger install DVD that came with my friend's computer... now from what i understood you couldn't install an OEM version of tiger on another computer that wasn't the same type as indicated on the DVD. But now I'm just confused since it is a powerbook dvd to be installed on MY powerbook G4. Is there something i'm doing wrong or some setting i need to adjust to make this work, or is there maybe something else that Apple is doing to prevent people from doing exactly I'm trying to do.

As far as I know, the Tiger license that comes with the computer doesn't allow a move to another computer. But either way, the two answers are still valid:

1) You aren't allowed to install the eMac's Tiger software on another computer.
2) They've probably changed the code that checks whether it's the right machine you're installing on.

So what can you do?

A) You can buy a retail copy of Tiger.
B) You can go elsewhere for any illegal ways of getting Tiger onto the Mac you're trying it on. This board's rules are very clearly against piracy. And getting the eMac's version of OS X to run on other machines is software piracy, and we don't discuss that here...

There's about 15 different G4 PowerBooks, depending on how you count. Unless yours is the same generation of PowerBook G4 (probably the 1.6GHz if it's new) then the install software likely won't install on a different model, even a PowerBook G4.
Plus you have a license issue, the software can only be installed and used on one machine, in this case, the one that it shipped with.
Apple would like you to purchase the software...

The return or the "peaked cap and jack boots" again, I wish you could be more intellectual with your approach, rather than the Military "Two Step".

I never once stated that I owned a copy, if you must know its a question that arose out of a conversation, i.e would it an eMac version run on other kit, simple question really.

I don't posses a copy of the eMac CD/DVD never said I had, please read original post.

However I can buy an Upgrade to a 10.4. from 10.3, as long as its original and no matter how much I paid for it thats legal.

Try not to be so negative.

Panther (the full version) would install, from what I can tell from other websites, on more or less any kit from G3 to G4.

Is what you're saying that the Tiger DVD that came with your laptop, is not loadable on an identicle laptop, which COULD be the same laptop after its been to the garage and had a boardor PROM changed for instance. This could cause enormous problems worlwide.

I wonder how they bind a disk set to a particular laptop?. Academic interest I suppose.

Note: I brought something like this years ago in 10.1 when there was no hostid command in Darwin, its a BSD command and is hard coded into yor machine and is a derivation of the Ethernet MAC address. This is used heavily in industry, where I have to work with PCs as well, on SUN, IBM, SGI, HP and so forth to enforce licensing rules. But its still missing from MacOSX a BSD machine?

"Can anyone see a reason why I can't use the MacOSX 10.4 distributed DVDs from an eMac and install it on a Standlone G4?" - And you want me to read into this that you're trying to "buy an upgrade to 10.4 from 10.3"? Pu-leeeze...

It's not about me being negative. Rather, I grow weary of the same questions always popping up again. Ever since the first machine shipped with Tiger pre-installed, we have about one thread per week asking the same question more or less: "Can I take 'this specific Mac's Tiger DVD' and install it on my Mac?" - And the answer is always the same: "You can try, but it's illegal. If it doesn't work, don't blame anybody."

If I really have misunderstood your question, you might have to rephrase it. Is it _not_ about installing a specific Mac's DVD on another type of machine?

It doesn't matter whether you are actually doing it or not, the board rules are pretty specific, no discussion of illegal activities here, and were you or someone else do do what you are asking about, they would be violating the Apple license that comes with the software.

Please don't hassle Fryke for explaining the board rules to you, and to on the negativity thing, I've seen moderators be a whole lot more negative than that in similar situations.

Edit: I see Fryke answered as well, but either way, it still doesn't matter what you intend to do, discussing it is not allowed.

thewelshman said:
Can anyone see a reason why I can't use the MacOSX 10.4 distributed DVDs from an eMac and install it on a Standlone G4?
You asked this question, and Fryke simply pointed out two reasons that directly answered this question... 1) it probably won't work, and 2) it's illegal. Problem?
However I can buy an Upgrade to a 10.4. from 10.3, as long as its original and no matter how much I paid for it thats legal.
I don't think the reduced-price upgrades are offered anymore, although I could be wrong. If I'm not wrong, then an upgrade purchase is the same as a full license purchase.
The licenses are "single user" much like a lot of software, meaning that you can have as many copies as you like providing you don't run more than one at a time, we use FlexLM to enforce that rule so making it useable only by one peson at a time.
"Single-user license" doesn't automatically mean that you can install the software on as many machines as you want as long as you're not using more than one copy at a time. This is application-dependent -- some companies allow you to install the software wherever as long as only one copy is in use concurrently, while others forbid you from installing the software on more than one machine concurrently. For example, Quark will let you install a copy of QuarkXPress on two machines, as long as only one copy is in use at a time -- useful for using Quark at home and at work, since it's highly improbably that you'll be using your at-work machine and your at-home machine at the same time.

"Single user license" doesn't have the broad definition you claim, as it's up to the company that produces the software to decide how you install and use it.

I do suspect that Mac OS X's EULA forbids installation on more than one computer (unless you have multiple licenses as with the Family Pack), even if you only use one at a time. It's one license for one machine, not one license for one user. If you wish to take the retail Tiger DVD and install that on another computer, you must first remove Tiger from the machine you originally installed it on.

I merged "thepresso"'s machinespecific thread (same subject, really...) with this one. Hope it doesn't add to the confusion...

thewelshman...
this is exactly what is so curious to me... how is Apple managing to discriminate certain powerbooks and not others?... At first, when i had tried an iBook Tiger dvd, the answer of 'oh it's machine specific' was easy to accept.

But now I'm more intrigued of how apple is restricting installation more so than actually installing Tiger! But yes, to confirm, I can't install a Tiger DVD supposedly coded for a Powerbook on another powerbook.

Could the Tiger install be 'creation specific' meaning that it can only be installed on powerbooks created after a certain date or maybe with a particular code in their serial numbers or other native ID numbers, as you suggest..???

Yes, it's possible. My guess is that the Tiger installer "looks" for a certain combination of hardware (video card, bus speed, processor revision/speed, FireWire 400/800 ports, etc.) and will only install on machines that have an identical setup as the machine the install CD/DVD originally shipped with.

PLEASE STOP DISCUSSING how to do this, thepresso. If you got a PowerBook 867 and have Panther on it, you can get the Tiger retail version from Apple's online store or from a retail store that has it near you. Those disks will install just fine. If the price is too steep for you, you have to check whether theft is legal in your country. If it is, you can simply take the package from the store. I suspect, however, that theft is illegal where you live. (Yes, I can get angry.)

It was a little bit more than pointing out, and I have no problem with rules.

I agree with anti-theft policies, as far as software is concerned, I have to work with them on a fairly major scale each day, millions of pounds of sofware per year just to license 25 seats, but its on very different kit and so am curious how its done on a Mac. We have to employ software to manage this, but we are not afraid to talk about the subject.

You can buy BNIB 10.4 upgrades from 10.3 off of EBAY, I intend to do this and always intended to, no matter what FRYKE may think and I take exeption to his/her inference bellow.

"And you want me to read into this that you're trying to "buy an upgrade to 10.4 from 10.3"? Pu-leeeze..."

What you are saying above is that I steal and you state it without proof, that really is illegal and very wrong. You should apologize if you are a moderator and show moderation.

fryke,

I agree with thewelshman, your words are quite harsh...especially for a moderator. Clearly i haven't stolen anything, since I'm asking how to get around the issue, nor do i like you painting me as a thief.

I trust that by your comments you have never illegaly downloaded an Mp3 file or operated software without a license of course... Also, if you've read my posts at this point i'd be interested in buying Tiger but and still very curious about how Apple is restricting installation... I think this is something many users would be interested in understanding further, since this is the first time, in my experience, something like this has been done. MS has frequently used serial numbers to keep software legal, but never have i heard of a software searching the inner depths of a computers hardware to determine if installation is possible..

So i will stop asking if there is a work around to this issue, and start saving my $9 CDN/hour wage for about 4 months to try and afford Tiger, but will still keep posting in the hope of satisfying my curiousity to understand how this is being done, it is quite remarkable if you ask me!

It's not the first time this has been done with Apple OS's. Apple always shipped machine specific discs with machines until the release of OS X. They seem to have stopped for awhile, but are back doing this.

Doesn't the Mac OS X installer check for the Gestalt ID of the Mac? What was the last Mac that used Gestalt ID because I just checked on the G5 and it says "n/a" under Gestalt ID.

Back