My Panther first Impressions and discoveries - Post here

I have a related story - I work with a developer who would often tease me about my Macs - he is more of a *nix geek than anything else - and the other day, without me even bringing it up, this guy was just raving on and on about 10.3 - fast user switching, Expose and even the thread highlighting in Mail. He actually said, "I have to get a Mac." Since this guy is a developer (and a very good one) what seemed to impress him was the software and clever programming of Apple. That's not something the world has been too impressed with lately has it? Meaning who else is doing clever programming in an OS these days?

I finally got around to installing Panther on my iBook. I upgraded it so I wouldn't loose all my files (a backup would just be too hard). And I noticed it was quite a bit slower than the clean install I had done on my iMac. So I checked out the program suggested before. And it seemed to help! Go get it now, it's called Cocktail and it's really helpful!

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18282

i've been running panther for about a week now, and i must say, it's fast, and i love it, it brings my old g4 too life, (it must sream on G5's) but...... it has it's bugs as any new OS would. and where did my favorites menu go?? did apple get rid of it?

Keychain seems to work if you set up your network connections using rendezvous under to GO>CONNECT TO SERVER. Otherwise keychain dosen't work at all despite asking me for permission to access.

I noticed that the "start-up on schedule" feature has returned to the energy saver preference panel: YEAH!

Exposé could sure use a delay option to prevent it from opening by accident, it can be a bit annoying. I've also notice that expose doesn't display Error Messages making them very difficult to find.

Come on OS 10.3.1!

Panther allows long file names to be named directly over the network. Jaguar prevented long file names to be created on the networked machine. You had to name it on your local machine first and then move it (or walk over to the other machine and name it). At least that was the case for a basic file sharing environment, I don't know if that was true when using a true Jaguar server.

Just got Panther a few days ago, and Photoshop last night - and I'm loving it. I'm upgrading from OS9, so it's a big change for me.

I didn't plan on installing anytime soon, but I ordered it, it came 2 days later, and i just couldn't help myself. All seems fine, runs much faster, and Archive and Install took about 25 minutes. Apple is the best.

Window resizing is still bad, but I guess I'm use to that considering I need a new G5 to replace this G4.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I can confirm that the Help Center is quite a bit faster... don't know if it contains any more useful information, but it *IS* faster...

I was dissappointed at it's slow action.

Wow. Just got Panther installed on my Powerbook G4 a couple minutes ago. So far its quicker then 10.2, and Expose....I love Expose.

Urbansory said:
Window resizing is still bad, but I guess I'm use to that considering I need a new G5 to replace this G4.

You know, I agree completely. We shouldn't need a super fast state of the art computer in order to resize windows smoothly. I have a G4 Dual 1 GHz and it is still a little jerky with Mail and IE. It would be nice if Apple gave us the option to have windows just show their outline while resizing - Office apps do this by default and a few others, but it would be nice to have this as an OS option for all windows - for those with older Macs or even new Macs. I was in a thread on this whole bugaboo some time ago. Maybe Unsanity or someone will write a haxie for this some day?

I have been complaining about window resize speed forever and a day. Usually I get the old "It's a more complicated GUI...Why are you resizing windows all day?...That's the price you pay for a better OS...etc." arguments. Those just don't fly for me. The simple fact is that one of the core GUI operations is slow and that is unacceptable to me. Period.

However, Panther has just nudged window resizing into "barely tolerable" for me [on DP 1 Gig and DP 867]. There is much more room for improvement, but at least now I no longer want to rip my own head off when resizing a window.

I would definitely buy a haxie that forced window outlines.

Hate to say it, but they finally stole a great Windows approach, which is to allow a user in a Save window to click on an existing (grayed out) file as a way to name the new file to be saved. Nice.

Panther is really sweet. It's loaded with these little things that I keep finding every day.

IIRC, that feature was present in OS 8 and 9. It could have been part of Action Utilities, which I had installed at the time, but I wanna say it was a default feature of the OS.

Diablo,

I can't recall it being in 8/9, but I won't deny it if so, but it's [ability to click on existing files in save windows for renaming] definitely new to OS X, right? Cuz I've been wanting it for ages and looking for it, and now it's here, so unless I was blind, I'm assuming it's new to OS X. Either way, glad it's there.

habilis said:
Finally, directory navigation is also easy!! Praise the Lord! Although they took the idea from windows explorer I love the new finder window with backwards and forward button

uhm.. You also have this in Jaguar.

And about the the App Switcher: Mac OS 9 also had this, so no rip off from Windows!

Now that I think about it, it may have been PhotoShop in OS 8/9 that had the "click a grayed out filename" to name the save file... I don't know, all I know is that I used it quite often in the pre-OS X days...

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Now that I think about it, it may have been PhotoShop in OS 8/9 that had the "click a grayed out filename" to name the save file... I don't know, all I know is that I used it quite often in the pre-OS X days...

Really - my God, where was I??? I have been waiting for this for years thinking it would never come!

Back