My Panther first Impressions and discoveries - Post here

Despite what some people are saying about Safari, it works great for me!
The writing isn't delayed like it was in Panther.

The installation was quirky toward the end and won't let me install the 2nd and 3rd cd but i can handle that for now.

Haven't tried out all the features because i spent 5 minutes trying to get Panther to recognize the internal modem..garr! For some reason Safari holds the internet preferences??

I think the way the application launches is cool, well im gonna watch 28 days later, see ya

Using a G3/500 and enjoying incredible Panth. speed. I'm amazed and surprised, just like Trip.

The apps I use all day long (Safari, Mail...) are slightly improved. But my concern number 1 was speed and Apple has been very satisfactory here.

I am very satisfied as well. the new finder has been a godsend. Expose is cool but I will have to change my work habits to enjoy the benefits fully. The only problem I have seen has been keeping my idisk synchronized when I am at home using my dial-up connection. Logout times out because of the sync process. I have now completely synced it at work and will try agian when I get home.

I've found pre-binding and repairing disk permissions speed up my system. For those unsatisfied with speed go check out Cocktail. Remove caches, pre-bind, repair, run scripts. All that fun stuff. See if it helps.

twister said:
I've found pre-binding and repairing disk permissions speed up my system. For those unsatisfied with speed go check out Cocktail. Remove caches, pre-bind, repair, run scripts. All that fun stuff. See if it helps.

Except for re-binding, very good system tune-ups (prebinding runs automatically whenever needed in the background since Jaguar, probably by the same trigger that runs an automatic de-frag under Panther) I've read a couple of articles that show how manual pre-binding is not relevant for Jaguar (and by extension, Panther), HOWEVER, I sometimes do a re-bind anyway, and there seems to be some perfomance benefit (maybe in my head only) Removing cache files may be the biggest help, at least in my experience.

just installed panther, and it feels soo much faster, so i like it. it's diffently faster but it still seeems buggy. and expose it just amazing, best GUI feature ever.

Also preference files maybe? I just cleaned out mine and threw a lot away. On this machine i just upgraded no clean install.

twister said:
Also preference files maybe? I just cleaned out mine and threw a lot away. On this machine i just upgraded no clean install.

Well, sure. You run a little risk of losing either an app's registration, or customized settings (which you just re-do), but usually not a big deal.
You can do the same thing (good thing for some troubleshooting) by creating a new user, so all user prefs then are fresh.

Keychain doesn't seem to work for me at all. There is no way that i can see to add a password to keychain when you log into a server. And even if I manually add an item to keychain it's gone on restart. Anyone else having keychain issues?

About the keychain issue...
Are you using the Keychain Access application?
Did you check file permissions on your keychain file "~/Library/Keychains/username"?

I saw and tried a small hack on Panther. I didn't like the fact that Apple replaced the Preference Pane "Internet" with a Preference Pane ".Mac". ".Mac" eliminated a one stop settings stop for default browser & email. So, I copied the the Jaguar Preference Pane "Internet"(from a firewire backup in System->Library->PreferencePanes) and place it into Library->PreferencePanes.

Now, it not only put the Preference Pane "Internet" back into Panther's Preference Panes, it replaced the whole ".Mac" Preference Pane! Plus, it seems to work right! So take this hack with a grain of salt and your mileage may vary.

jove said:
About the keychain issue...
Are you using the Keychain Access application?
Did you check file permissions on your keychain file "~/Library/Keychains/username"?

I thought you had it for sure, but alas, file permissions are in order. I'm wondering if this is an isolated issue or is everyone having this same problem?

Found a neat feature of Expose', while performing a drag operation, you can hit F9 (keeping the mouse button pressed), pick a destination and drop.

Works with the F11 (Show Desktop) also. Very handy.

Brian G.

Brian: good call, I like that. Although I'm using the hot corners I don't think I can can quite use that function. The hot corners are faster for me, since my hands can't see the F9-F11 keys without looking. The extra second makes all the difference.

OH MY GOD. Preview now reads EPS and PS (PostScript files) and CONVERTS THEM TO PDF. I stand startled.

Thanks Steve !

Back