My Panther first Impressions and discoveries - Post here

gotta agree. sherlock, after a weak start back in os 8/9, is now an all-american service thingie i can only use for one thing: translations. and i don't, because i can do that in a browser, too, that i have open, anyway...

Hello,

My complaints, so far, are purely aesthetic.

It took me a year to get used the white space only separators in menus. Lines are back. No big deal, but it is nagging me.

Everything is grayer. I enjoyed the whiter and more colorful Jaguar. Panther just seems drab.

Tabs and group-boxes have totally changed. Several existing products do not "look" correct because those UI elements are very different. They are both more image-well-like. I am not a big fan of frivolous or excessive pseudo-3D.

The Finder icon selection, tacky.

I'm getting very inconsistent "rollover" info visibility in dialog windows. For example, if I open a file in an app and dig thru an folder and choose a file, I should be able to rest the cursor on the file and in a moment it's full name appears as a popup, right? Most of the time, that does not happen for me anymore. What's worse, sometimes it's completely off center, like I have to roll over not the file itself, but the folder containing the file. Very odd. I can't imagine this is intended, tho I'm still trying to figure out the quirks.

Everything I've read so far has really made me want Panther....now, I just need to find 70 bucks so I can get it. Love student discounts!

citizentony said:
I use graphite and have noticed the widget's in the Finder do not turn graphite. The sliding bar does but the buttons do not. I don't like that.

In fact my only complaint would be the fact that the os is so un-uniform. With 2 different brushed metal's, widget's that don't match the other widget's, transperancy here, but not over there, etc... I wish they would clean it up a bit.

Other than that I am liking 10.3.

Hmm, oddly the widgets seem to have addapted to their graphite enviornment and are now matching the rest.

This makes my only complaint much smaller.

BTW, I am really getting to like Expose on the 12" PB's screen. Really makes working on much more pleasurable.

I have two gripes about it. First. My iChat AV will not come up. By this I mean that the menubar item will log me in as available but it closes without an explanation when trying to show the buddy list.

second, it is faster booting up, but after I login from a reboot, it seems to take forever before I get a dock menubar and my login items start loading, like a minute or so.

Does anyone know how I can connect to my networked iMac WITHOUT having to provide my password each time? Jaguar let me keychain it and I can't see how to do that now. BTW- Apple's help has not one single reference to "Keychain".

mindbend said:
Does anyone know how I can connect to my networked iMac WITHOUT having to provide my password each time? Jaguar let me keychain it and I can't see how to do that now. BTW- Apple's help has not one single reference to "Keychain".

Looks like you're missing something, when I search in Apple help for keychain, I get at least 20 topics with the word keychain.... Perhaps you upgraded instead of an archive and install like most here recommend (Truth: I did a simple upgrade, and help did not display many Panther items until I deleted the existing help files).....

do a FIND for com.apple.help (some items will have the name com.apple.helpui (there's a folder with that name that has ALL Apple help help files) When those files are trashed, it will force Apple help the download all new files, and you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Such as the way the sheets come flowing out and back again from its little opening... niice.

Also the way the Classic Icon in the doc fills up with colour as you launch classic... niiice.

The new animated lock.

The extra printer features, ie Scheduler and ColorSync options.

I'm sure there are more to come.

eric

Amazing! Just wanted to say: VERY FAST! I can't believe how fast Panther is running on my 350 Mhz Slot-loading iMac!

The updated interface is very nice! Looks very professional in my opinion! And very clean!

I havn't really discoved much other than it's so fast! Even watching movies in preview mode and everything, it's just so fast!

*Will post more later.

Mindbend,
I didn't see the keychain option in the connection dialogs either. Open the app Keychain access and try to create one manually.

I can't believe it took them 3 frigging years to bring labels back.

But I'm really glad they did.

Panther. I like it.(for the record I've hated OSX until Panther because it was so unwieldy in a graphic design environment, and so much damn slower then OS9)

I love exposé. Clutter in OSX was a major major problem, especially since I'm a graphics guy and I always have about 8 apps open at once with multiple graphic/html docs open at once. exposé has instantly increased my production levels and almost revolutionized the way I work. Finally OSX can hold it's own against OS9!! This thing has been needed for years upon years. For myself, and I imagine any other power user, exposé is the best thing since a multi-threaded finder, and the best thing about Panther.

Finally, directory navigation is also easy!! Praise the Lord! Although they took the idea from windows explorer I love the new finder window with backwards and forward button and the drag-and-droppable aliases that creates almost a mobile dock. I have my dock hidden now whereas before I preferred it showing.

Also the command+tab was a 100% rip from windows. I really don't care that it's stolen. I always liked that about windows.

That's my first impression

I highly advocate buying it.

I didn't really notice much of a difference from Jaguar to Panther. Of course, I barely know anythiing. the biggest and best defference from jaguar is Exposé. It is the best! Also user switching is pretty good. i expected a lot more from it.But I can't say it is bad, because it isn't. I love it!

Back