New eMac!!!

Woa, how did they keep this under-wraps. This is pretty cool. This will be good for apple.

With all of this we aren't even paying attention to the new powerbook!

Originally posted by googolplex
Woa, how did they keep this under-wraps. This is pretty cool. This will be good for apple.

With all of this we aren't even paying attention to the new powerbook!

Actually, I read about a 17" CRT "iMac" on spymac.com a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't belive in it at all :p

I think that Apple is going DOWN with designing. The iMac and eMac really do suck at the point of design. And i think that the eBook (i believe in that rumor) also......... (but i still love the quicksilver, titatinium, iBook and the iPod (of course).)

(all this was my opinion of course eh)

senne.

I think this design is the best ever, but the stand should be included on all models. It doesn't look complete without it.

just my thoughts on education computers, why does it need a 40 gig HD? at college all our work goes on the server, the hard drive only has windows (unfortunately) and the apps on it. Surely a 20 or 10 gig would save ebough money for an extra 256MB of RAM to help X along.

the bad thing about it is i have to get of my arse and get a job to buy one now.

Probably because the 40 GB mechanism is the cheapest for Apple to get, since that's probably the the one that Apple purchases in the greatest volume. The basic economics of mass manufacturing dictates that a 20 GB unit won't necessarily be cheaper than a 40 GB one, even though consumer pricing might not reflect that.

Also, as Apple has been stressing the use of digital media as an enhancement to traditional class curricula, 40 GB is probably the minimum you want when editing digital video (I'm seeing a lot of short student-produced documentaries these days). Manipulating digital video files over 100 Mbps Ethernet just doesn't hack it.

That's pretty cool. :)

I think the new eMac will be a hit. I hope Apple educational sales team are on the ball this year. The eMac, feature-for-feature, is probably one of the best deals out there for schools. I doubt Dell's $699 crapola systems don't allow RAM to be expanded to 1 GB nor do they have FireWire and other Mac niceness.

I see this as an EXCELLENT option for my school. This is an excellent solution for art students... the original iMac's low resolution made it not an option for my GF, who was looking at getting one. The higher res will sell itself. Not to mention the much sturdier design than the flat panel iMac. This is a near perfect machine for a lab setting. No more double-inventory for monitor and system. Of course, certain requirements will still warrant a tower (digital video/compositing/multimedia labs vs. plain old general use print/web labs).

I don't think a machine for education only is muddying up the product line. What it's come down to is expansion and power vs. economy and value.

I still can't imagine the G5 coming out soon... so I hope Apple doesn't muddy up the power too much. They need more dual processor models... that would definitely clear the air. If it came down to a choice between two processors and one... crystal clear difference to me.

I wonder what the ibook has in store...

Originally posted by vitaboy
Also, as Apple has been stressing the use of digital media as an enhancement to traditional class curricula, 40 GB is probably the minimum you want when editing digital video (I'm seeing a lot of short student-produced documentaries these days). Manipulating digital video files over 100 Mbps Ethernet just doesn't hack it.

That's not much good in a large lab setting - if you store your work on local disk, then you need to let people write to the local disks (bad thing number 1), and of course if the very same machine they were working on before isn't available when they come back, they're stuck, which basically negates any benefit of having a computer lab at all (bad thing number 2).

Really, they ought to include the option of a diskless, netbooting eMac. Not make it mandatory, of course, but optional. OK, so you can't do a lot of fancy video editing, but surely, Mac labs are a common enough requirement that an option to save a considerable amount of money that way could only be a good thing...

Can you do Netboot of Mac OS X client yet? I've read it still only supports Mac OS 9. Is there any reasoning behind that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't OS X come with NetBoot?

I can see how having server access to your files is beneficial, but I just can't see practically how a classroom full of eMacs with each one doing digital video work can share the bandwidth of a 100Base-T network. Server-based apps are good for office productivity, which doesn't require sustained reads and writes, but 10+ Macs all trying to apply that transition at the same time over anything less than Gigabit Ethernet won't be a pretty sight.

It's probably faster, if less convenient, for students to copy their video project folders to the local drive and then copy them back to the server when they log out for the day.

Or maybe iMove should have a feature that allows you to transparently use the local drive as a scratch disk, which then automatically syncs up to the main file on a server drive at appropriate intervals.

Originally posted by uoba
When are we gonna see a really big difference in the G4 workstations!?

I'm guessing really soon now. It's just the logical conclusion that new professional machines are on the way.:D

I hope so! And I hope Apple REALLY surprises us with regards to the Pro desktops! A quad 1.6 GHz G4 machine would be a nice surprise, for example. :p

Overall, I think the eMac is good machine for education. Of course, with all Apple products, I wish it were priced a little more competitively. Dell is really trying to win back their education crown, and will gleefully undercut Apple anywhere it can. I fully appreciate Apple needing higher margins to compensate for R&D expenses that Wintel folk don't spend, but this is the education market. Apple should have very low margins here. One of the main reasons Apple takes the education market so seriously, is because it knows that what students use in the Classroom, tends to lead them to buy the rest of their life. Get 'em hooked early (just like the drug pushers)... Dell, is quite aware of this too, and seems to take it a bit more seriously than Apple.

Back to the eMac. It's one heck of an education machine. I'm sure there's going to be a number of consumers who will want to get their hands on one too. Actually, it doesn't seem to hard. All you have to do is buy from the Apple Store for Education, and say it's for a student. Isn't everybody is related to somebody who's in school at sometime, right? ;)

As for the look of it, I think it looks great. It's not quite as wide as the 15" CRT iMac, and the White w/ Silver accents looks ten times better than the old "Snow" iMac model. The icing is the clear swivel stand (extra, but worth the price). Perched up on the stand, the eMac looks very sexy.

I made some eMac icons.

eMac Icons (2 Icons)
:D
icon14.gif

Pretty cool wdw_! They tend to look really bad when they get small though, oh well, we admire icons in their HUGE state, right? :)

It makes you wonder if the eMac was originally slated to be the new iMac, in case the LCD iMac somehow got delayed too much or fell through.

Still, I think the demand on these things will be huge - as much as the LCD iMac if Apple releases it to the general public. But as you noted, I think a lot of sales will be non-educational "referral" sales.

And because there's no variety in terms of color and only 2 models, I'm sure the profit margin will stay healthy on the eMac. Prices of the 17" CRT will probably drop faster than 15" LCDs, and the cost of development was probably quite low compared to the LCD iMac.

I'm glad to see Apple not giving up the low-end to bottom-feeders like Dell and Gateway, and come out with a practical machine in a big way that will cause educators to take notice. Keeping the old iMac alive was a good hold-over strategy, but let's face it, with all the spotlight on the LCD iMac, it was only a matter of time before the old iMac became relegated as "antiquated" even if the feature set got updated.

With a new name and a new design, Apple makes a clean break from the old iMac legacy and the result is an eMac that is modern, capable, and definitely not obsolete. Apple needs to regain the market share lead in education, and educators need to wake up to the hidden costs of those $800 Dells (limited RAM expandability, shared video RAM, no built-in wireless, and crappy 15" monitors)

I love the new eMac, in fact, I may plan on saving for one. It would be a great upgrade from my Blueberry 500mhz iMac DV. Plus I have connections in the education market. :)

I wouldn't mind something like an eMac, which is just about the same size as my current iMac only better looking and has more features.

Back