new iPod, new iMac, PhotBooth

Hmmm I might be getting a black iPod, its way too sexy.

Anyone have any clue on how the photo thing works? do you have to go through iphoto? If so, how do pc users take advantage of it?

Personally I couldnt care less about the video options. Im not gonna be looking at that screen for that long, no way.

I'm actually somewhat surprised they didn't put a TV Tuner into the iMacs.

To me, that would have given it an excuse to be the only one with Front Row, as well as a real feature that many people would use.

I don't think recording TV is necessary, just watching it.

do you guys think we can use photobooth on a PB with a normal isight? or photobooth is a piece of software that will work only with built-in isight? i like it.

the same question about front row? i dont care about the remote control, but i d love to use front row software on my powerbook!! are we gonna see it happen? mac experts.. please give me your opinion!! i hope to hear that even non-imac users can hack frontrow n photobooth software to use it as well!!

The software could be portable and be used in the other iMac's that were older, like the one I bought last month. I asked the Apple Techie's at my Apple Store and they said they were hoping it'd be shipped on the side but were unsure. I was thinking, hey why don't I just buy Front Row (if I need to...) and buy an Apple remote. However, according to the Mac Genius at my store, he said that only the new iMac G5's come with an infared receive to pick up the signal of the remote, so all older iMac users are out of luck, it sucks to be early....

What's to stop people from putting their own full length movies and tv shows onto the iPod as long as they are in mpeg 4 or h.264? (crosses fingers and hopes the answer is "nothing").

Nothing. You can apparently already do this by ripping your own DVDs to MP4 using HandBrake. Since this is something that the MPAA will probably have a fit about when they realise, Apple did not make mention of it, but its certainly not hard to do. I don't see it as a breach of fair use to rip DVDs that I already own into iTunes, and sync them with an iPod, though. At least, its no different to ripping CDs.

Only it takes a _lot_ more time, of course. Although at 320*x with, say 400 kbps, it might take less time. But there's no way I'm going to _re_-rip my 200+ DVDs. I guess I'll have to wait for an iPod that can read MPEG-4 movies that are encoded 640*x. ;)

symphonix said:
I don't see it as a breach of fair use to rip DVDs that I already own into iTunes, and sync them with an iPod, though. At least, its no different to ripping CDs.
Well, besides the fact that you're violating the DCMA by circumventing the copy protection that is present on all commercial DVDs... ;)

that's US specific, although there are other countries with similar laws, whereas in yet other countries, it's perfectly legal to make copies for yourself. Frankly: As long as I don't _sell_ the DVD after ripping it, I don't see the harm done.

So when you rip the DVD to reburn for yourself do you ue 640*480 or should there be a higher resolution? Granted the iPod resolution would be good for those I'd take on the road, but what if you want to make a "backup dvd" - what resolution

Well if the iPod only has a 320x240 resolution and it plays H.264, you should only play 320x240. Especially with video that is as intensive at that, it will become very choppy if you try to go 640x480. I have an Axim x50v that has a 624mhz processor, 64MB RAM, and when I try to play .mp4 it lags when I have a 640x480 resolution. I have to downsize my resolution to about 320x240 (or a little lower).

So if you want to play video or back up DVD's I know 752x564 (in 4:3) or somewhere in that area of 700 resolution is a really good size, however, it'd probably be like 1.5-2 GB depending on the bitrate size.

Like mentioned earlier, if you do H.264 for the iPod, 320x240 with a 400 kbps bitrate will be good, it won't be super clear, you'd need a 700+ bitrate probably to do that, but that slows down the video to. You just gotta play around with it.

fryke said:
Only it takes a _lot_ more time, of course. Although at 320*x with, say 400 kbps, it might take less time. But there's no way I'm going to _re_-rip my 200+ DVDs. I guess I'll have to wait for an iPod that can read MPEG-4 movies that are encoded 640*x. ;)

i was thinking about this. when HD DVDs become popular, am i going to re-buy all my 100+ dvds in HD? i think not... this is the industry either a) moving too fast, or b) making a mistake releasing standard DVD altogether.

fryke said:
that's US specific, although there are other countries with similar laws, whereas in yet other countries, it's perfectly legal to make copies for yourself. Frankly: As long as I don't _sell_ the DVD after ripping it, I don't see the harm done.
Ah, if only all laws were ok to break, as long as the lawbreaker didn't think he/she was doing any harm. Wonderful logic! ;)

Mikuro said:
And obviously a camera is infinitely more useful if you can move it around. It seems like a huge waste of potential to bolt it onto a big monitor. But hey, better than nothing, I guess.
My feeling is that this is all part of the idea behind the iMac being an all-in-one machine. It may not be the ultra-flexible solution that a lot of people might like, but I think there's just as many or more out there who will like this a lot. I think it will be especially big with people who wouldn't buy a webcam separately, but who will play around with this one since it comes with their computers.

Mikuro said:
What DOES bother me is the external modem. 50 freakin' dollars?? The last 56k modem I bought only cost $30 — and that was eight years ago. I just can't understand how such a thing can be that expensive. Anyone who does need one is going to feel like they're being slapped in the face.
There are still a lot of third-party modems out there that you can buy, this just falls into the category of sexier packaging from Apple coming at a premium price. I still have a 56k modem that I can break out as needed. It is about the size of an external hard drive and needs to be plugged into an outlet using one of those big, black transformer bricks. I think paying an extra $20 for something as sleek and elegant as the new Apple modem makes a fair bit of sense.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Well, besides the fact that you're violating the DCMA by circumventing the copy protection that is present on all commercial DVDs... ;)

Not to split hairs, but there is NO copy protection in DVDs, it is region control (which is illegal in some countries ;) )

An external modem will run you anywhere (on average) from $20 to $90, with a decent one usually running $35 to $50. The addition of a modem on a G5 tower costs $29 through Apple. So $49 for Apple's one isn't bad at all, especially considering it's much smaller and better looking than most if not all of the other options out there.

So they're not at a bad price point. Especially considering there probably aren't too many people who will buy one compared to two or three years ago. Even less a year from now. You'd think the laptops would keep a built-in modem longer than the desktops, but I'm kind of wondering if there isn't a chance we see the laptops soon loose their modems. It would open up space for another FW or USB port, which would be better IMO. The model is definitely small enough to work well with a laptop.

Apple's site says 5 to 7 business days for the new iPod shipping. I thought these puppies were shipping this week?

I just got my 60gb iPod video this morning from FedEx. It's OK, but it is remarkable to me how much less they are including in the packaging now. No real dock anymore... No external power adapter (how are you supposed to deal with that when those updates come in that require it to be used?), etc. I know this isn't new to these new models, but what a shame to be cost cutting that much. :(

I'm sure the new updates for these iPods will not require you to plug it into the AC adapter to finish. This is how it used to be, but they changed it to require the AC.

They limit the amount of items in the package to increase profits. Apple's a business. Same reason they dropped FireWire - they are trying to keep prices down and profits up.

Back