New PowerBook.. Still one button?!? Argg!!

kon21

Registered
Anyone know when Apple will get with the times and provide a second mouse button the PowerBooks?
I find it a bit inconvenient to have to hit Ctrl-Click if you want to empty the trash.
The OS supports a second button natively already so what’s the hold up?

Apple Please!!

I have heard that "Steve's" response to right-clicking is "Find a better user interface method". Basically, and I semi-agree, that the right click menu is a lazy way of implementing your menuing.

Granding, I like right clicking, but I also know that some apps in the windows world, it is like all menus are under the right click.

Exactly. I don't think Apple will ever change their single mouse button. It's like...their "THING" that every company has, you know? I am perfectly fine with the single mouse button for their products, but I can always get a nice Logitech or Microsoft mouse that'll do my right clicking just fine.

Just been playing Rise of Nations. It's good. The units only move to a point when you right click. That is annoying.

Hopefully I can fix this though.

If you hold the mouse button down on the trash for 1 second, the menu comes up as if you had right clicked it.

Much as it would annoy most new Mac users, the Mac doesn't need a 2nd button. It works fine with 1 button. What used to be missing was a scroll wheel, but with the new Powerbooks (and on old ones with the iScroll patch), you get scroll wheel functionality as well.

So no, the Mac doesn't need the 2nd button. The interface is well designed enough to be used only with 1 button.

ctrl click trash??? You can also just use speach cntrl and say empty trash. Why have fifty buttons to do something when one or none can do the same. "empty trash", said the mac user... and it was done.

"Empty the GD trash", said the windows users, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows user, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows users, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows user, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows users, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows user, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows users, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows user, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows users, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows user, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows users, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows user, "Empty the GD trash", said the windows users, "Empty the GD trash!!!!!!!", said the windows user.

Forty days and fourty nights this went on until his wife bought him a powerbook and said "now try it dear" "Empty the trash" said the ex windows user....Phhhhht, and it was done.

I'd like to see 3 trackpad buttons (one under the trackpad, two on the right hand side), simply to make Expose functionality (and later, Dashboard) quicker to activate.

All those UI studies that say "2 mouse buttons are no better than 1" don't take Expose into account (at least as far as I'm aware), because Expose is new territory.

Kap

kon21 said:
I find it a bit inconvenient to have to hit Ctrl-Click if you want to empty the trash.
I guess you've never tried click and hold to bring up dock menus.

I don't think Applw can include a 2 button interface on the Powerbook G4. G5 yes. But, updates on a predecessor machine can't go so far. So, releasing a new G4 Powerbook, that replaces the old Powerbook, isn't fair to those who own the original Powerbook G4, IMO. If they released the G5 Powerbook and it had the 2 buttons, then fine, totally brand new model, fair go.

Convert -- Apple adds new features to the PowerBooks with most every release. They most certainly can add a two-button trackpad to a PowerBook G4, since they added USB2.0, FireWire 800, Digital Audio Input, etc. to later PowerBook G4s. Are we saying that those additions aren't fair to the original PowerBook G4 owners?

Apple has stated that the one-button mouse is their mode of operation for the forseeable future. It's not the fact that adding a two-button trackpad to a newer generation PowerBook G4 "alienates" previous PowerBook G4 owners, it's the fact that they don't want to do it. And I seriously doubt we'll see a two-button trackpad on the PowerBook G5.

Warning: Old man rant coming on!

I can't say this enough. As long as Steve jobs is at Apple (and for a some after he leaves because of employees who worship him), Apple will continue to ship a one button mouse. End of Story! ::ha::

end old man rant.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't include a 2 button mouse. 2 buttons is lazy interface design? Having to Control+click stuff insted of just right clicking is a bad design. Infact, the MORE buttons you have the better. The more you can do with one hand, the more productive you'll be. My mouse has 4 buttons + scroll and when I got I bet my productivity almost doubled because I can do so much with ONLY the mouse.

I play all kinds of games with my Powerbook.
It is extreamly hard to be efficieant without the use of the second moust button.
At times I'm unable to pull out a mouse, so a second mouse button on the laptop would be a great gift.

@JPigford:
That's highly debatable whether more mouse buttons makes you more productive. What do you map the mouse buttons to? On my Powerbook, the 1 button suits me just fine. The only functionality missing was the scroll wheel, and iScroll pretty much takes care of that. Learn the keyboard short cuts. They're called short cuts for a reason :).

@kon21
The only reason I use a mouse with my Powerbook is when I want precise control of the cursor. Sadly, I'm not good enough with the track pad for that. Thus, for games and the odd time I load up Photoshop Elements or some drawing app, I use my mouse.

Interesting thought - can the new trackpad functionality in the Powerbooks be configured to trigger Expose/Dashboard? Now that would be cool. :)

Kap

I hate the one button mouse, and now that this thread has reminded me of the plight of the Apple notebooks, I hate the one button on those as well. Stupid one-button mouse. It hurts Apple and should go.

And duh, a right-click is a good feature... why is that not obvious?

Viro said:
@JPigford:
That's highly debatable whether more mouse buttons makes you more productive. What do you map the mouse buttons to? On my Powerbook, the 1 button suits me just fine. The only functionality missing was the scroll wheel, and iScroll pretty much takes care of that. Learn the keyboard short cuts. They're called short cuts for a reason :).
Okay maybe highly debatable for you, but for me it was a MASSIVE increase in productivity. To each their own...but I know I'll never use a one button mouse.

Wow, this iScroll2 thing is wonderful! The two-finger-on-the-track-pad-and-clicking-the-mouse-button-pulling-up-the-contextual-menu option is very handy!

Back