New PowerMacs!

The screen lineup is now very good:

17" $ 699,- 1280 x 1024
20" $ 1299,- 1680 x 1050
23" $ 1999,- 1920 x 1200

Sorry for the double post.

Well, we all saw it at the same time and then were writing the posts, all convinced we were the first, so we didn't see them until to late...

These updates were long overdue, so I can understand the enthusiasm! Very nice price drops and new specs, so the price/performance ratio has gotten an enormous boost IMHO.

WOW WOW WOW. i just returned. and i visited apple. i WAS SCHOCKED.

$2000 for 23 inch ? OUAOUUU.. im gonna give my dad a call . he he he :)

WAY TO GO APPLE :) im really excited :)

What surprised me a bit was the (huge) 2 MB L3 cache: that really is a lot!

Does anybody know how precisely this new X-Serve system controller improves the architecture?

architectcontrol01282003.gif

The PM's are now better than the X-serve: faster processors, and same architecture. Hmmm, methinks the x-serve is going to be updated soon...

The new Power Mac G4s are not Bluetooth built in... See online store it says "Bluetooth Ready" only.

I like the Radeon 9700 Pro graphic card tho.

Did you guys see the OS 9 Power Macs? They are more expensive then the new ones. Follow the link on Power Mac Apple Online Store page.

Originally posted by Cat
What surprised me a bit was the (huge) 2 MB L3 cache: that really is a lot!

Does anybody know how precisely this new X-Serve system controller improves the architecture?

architectcontrol01282003.gif

The PM's are now better than the X-serve: faster processors, and same architecture. Hmmm, methinks the x-serve is going to be updated soon...

its a bottlenecker. basically it allows the G4 to work with DDR memory yet benefit absolutely 0 from it.

I wonder if the picture of the shuttle on the monitor on Apple's homepage has anything to do with the fact that today is the anniversary of the space shuttle challenger accident.

The only one of the new G4's that will boot into OS 9 is the Dual 1.25Ghz.

10.2.4 supposed to be released on Thursday, and iLife on Friday.

Yay for new stuff! :p My thoughts:
-First, good on Apple's part. The new Power Macs support some of the fastest RAM currently available: 333MHz DDR. w00t! It would have been nice to see some new processors, but I suppose that can wait until next MacWorld.
-Second, reducing the prices on the displays... Smart. And the 17 inch is now competitively priced with other flat-panels, but with this you get true color. And that 20-inch looks very tempting. :D
-Third, anyone know what kinds of enhancements 10.2.4 will bring?
-And lastly, how many of you are going to rush to apple.com Friday and get the iLife updates? :p

Kendall wrote:
its a bottlenecker. basically it allows the G4 to work with DDR memory yet benefit absolutely 0 from it.
Huh? :confused:

If you're right, I don't see why Apple would add it, since previously the duals worked well without.

Since it runs at 167 MHz, it's no more a bottleneck than the system bus (133-167).

They assign quite a central position to it:
architecturetop08132002.jpg

Originally posted by ddma

Did you guys see the OS 9 Power Macs? They are more expensive then the new ones. Follow the link on Power Mac Apple Online Store page.
You are just plain wrong. The OS 9 Power Macs are older models left on sale strictly as build to order offerings. Comparable new machines are priced $150 to $200 higher than the old ones:

New Fastest $2699
Old Fastest $2499

New Ultimate $3799
Old Ultimate $3549

Originally posted by Cat
Kendall wrote:

Huh? :confused:

If you're right, I don't see why Apple would add it, since previously the duals worked well without.

Since it runs at 167 MHz, it's no more a bottleneck than the system bus (133-167).

They assign quite a central position to it:
architecturetop08132002.jpg

notice how the G4 is split off from everything else? the system could run a 333MHz bus speed but once it hits the controller, it has no impact on the G4.

here is information about the bottleneck.

http://www.barefeats.com/pmddr.html

in essence, everything with higher bus speeds such as RAM are communicating directly with the controller, not the G4. DDR memory costs more for the PowerMac with absolutely no benefits.

Apple does this because people think, ooooooh! DDR, oooooooooh! faster Macs!

AND AS WE ALL KNOW. apple is always taking advantage of us. and in such times where their market share is getting lower. THE BEST MOVE is to just trick us and sell DDR just to make more money!

THIS IS VERY OBVIOUSLY THE CASE as apple is the only company that trickz ppl into sellin their products for somethin thats not there!
whereas ur rock solid company MS would never do such a thing :) hahahahhahah

Back