Now that G5 iMacs have been received...

No, looking at the Apple spec site, I guess the only drives they use are 7200rpm. Still, I wonder what gives?

Oh well, the thing just rocks =)

Actually had a chance to look at the 20" G4 and G5 iMac side by side today.

The G5 is obviously a superior computer, but I think they've taken a significant step backwards in terms of aesthetics. The G5's dreaded "chin" might not be such a big deal when you're actually using the computer, but when you're looking at the G4 and G5 side by side it's just hideous (plus the G4 had that nice clear border around the edge).

Kap

I wasn't thrilled with the iMac at first, but after seeing it in person and actually using it, I much prefer it to the last revision. True, I can't really adjust the height without a book now, and I did really like being able to achieve any viewing angle with the older version, but this one is just so cool, so small and light, easy to move and takes up so little desk space...

What's there not to love?! :)

I've got my iMac G5 1.8Ghz 17" for about 2 weeks now. Since i've installed it, it constantly (read: never stops) makes a crunching spinning hard-drive sound! You can hear it very clearly when the sound is off, or even when it's at a low volume. It's that loud that it really annoys me. Anyone having this crunching sound too ?

senne

It's a power supply issue that Apple has already acknowledged afaik. You can get a replacement.

Yey! I'm the first person I've heard of who's nice new spangly iMac has actually missed its shipping date! Marvelous. And after they cut the delivery times by a week in the intervening period too.

Is it only Apple Store UK, or is it Apple in general that's crap at keeping to delivery dates? And did they bother to actually tell me? No, I had to phone up and was told I'd receive a new delivery date soon, but no news as to why it's going to be late, or where it might have got to, or if they actually ever processed the order, oh no...

They did this when I ordered my G3 as well, that took an extra 2 months on top of estimated delivery. I thought they were supposed to be on top of orders for this one.

Sorry, I'm really annoyed.

Was yours supposed to ship on or before today (25/10/2004) from the UK store?

I only ask as mine was too, and hasn't as of yet, and I'd also had the delivery date cut in the intervening period.

I've been hitting refresh on my orders page all day in the hope it would have changed.

I am also really annoyed :grumpy-faced-emoticon:

Quietly said:
Is it only Apple Store UK, or is it Apple in general that's crap at keeping to delivery dates?

A friend of mine has now 2-3 weeks of extra waiting-time, he lives in Belgium.

It'll probably be the same in the UK then, as they always seem to all ship from somewhere in Luxembourg anyway (well, from Luxembourg, I'm not really sure there is such a thing as "somewhere in Luxembourg").

Yeah, mine was supposed to ship on or before 25/10. The units get shipped out from the production factory in Shanghai (I believe) to The Netherlands where they are handed over to TNT for UK delivery. At this point they issue the Delivery Notification so you can track it.

However, the guy at the store didn't even seem to know where it was or what stage of processing it was at, which is just silly.

If they give me a new date of 2-3 weeks then it can only mean one thing - they didn't process the order in the first place. The only reason a 2-3 week extension would be needed was if they had to create the thing from scratch. At which point I might as well re-order it from scratch rather than listen to crap excuses.

Dear Apple Store Customer,

Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store.

The demand for the product you ordered has been higher than anticipated. We are shipping as quickly as possible, but cannot meet the ship date we previously estimated for you. We now expect to ship your order by November 5th, 2004.

Please note that product availability can change rapidly and it is possible that your order may ship much sooner than we anticipate.

Your business is very important to us, and we apologise for any inconvenience that this change may cause.

Once your order has dispatched, you will receive a Shipment Notification email, which will enable you to track your order.

Answers to many post-sales questions can be found at the Apple Store Customer Service website: http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/help/uk/consumer

Kind regards,

The Apple Store Team

Ah well, I guess it's nice that demand is high, however it's also sad I have to wait longer (no doubt because some people seen as more important than me have jumped the queue).

New G5 iMac Stats:
17" LCD Screen
1.8 GHz G5
768 RAM
60 GB Hard drive

Pros
  • Small*
  • Big Screen*
  • Out of Sight Ports
  • 5 USB ports (3 on comp, one used by keyboard, 2 on keyboard)
  • Beveled Power Button (so you can feel where it is)
  • OMFG faster than a bat out of hell*
  • Hidden Slot Load CD/DVD drive
  • Quartz*
  • Firewire port powered when computer is off**
Cons:
  • Internal mic right next to speaker (makes echo when talking on iChat or Skype)
  • Strong electric (electromagnetic?) discharge when waking up from sleep (it can turn on my touch lamp from a foot away)
  • Poor Base on speakers (bottoms out really easily)
  • Weird cha cha sound when volume goes up or down (not just the click to tell you the volume)
  • Not very powerful speakers (my old iMac was 2-3 times louder)

* in comparison to an iMac DV+
** i don't know if this has been around in G4 macs....

Mine has arrived and I'll be picking it up on Saturday! I don't know how I'll sleep, knoiwing it is there at the store, just an hour's drive away, but I can't get a day off work at the moment so it'll need to wait...

I've also managed to secure an original Airport card to chuck into my G3-500 iBook, so it should be sweet. I've also got UT2004 and Halo on the way for gaming.

I'll drop in a full review of my impressions once I've brought it home. :)

lnoelstorr said:
Ah well, I guess it's nice that demand is high, however it's also sad I have to wait longer (no doubt because some people seen as more important than me have jumped the queue).

I have received exactly the same notification this morning! I'd like to know which people exactly jumped the queue though, as my order was supposedly a priority (Education Customer). If they miss this shipping date I might seriously consider buying one of those windows machines...

Well, do you still want it or do you really think one of 'those Windows machines' would suit your needs the same way only earlier? ;) ... I hope you'll appreciate the Mac instead! :)

Back