Now that G5 iMacs have been received...

Quietly said:
Ooh...

Apple have just debited my card. Could it be that I can expect a dispatch note soon???

Oooh exciting. I can't check if mine's been debited as it's on my girlfriend's card (she's a student ;)), when did you order yours?

My order was placed on 27th Sept through the Higher Education store. When it missed its shipment date (25th Oct) I gave them a call and made a nuisance of myself, resulting in my order being bumped up to Priority 1 (what was it before I wonder? Education orders are supposed to be priority anyway...)

BTW What I'd like is a Mac but with the level of customer service that other companies seem able to provide without (seemingly) too much effort. If I'd been just an ordinary PC user, would I have even placed an order on a product with a build time of 4 weeks? And would I have kept with it when it missed its shipping date? Luckily for them I'm already a Mac user and knew that the wait would (probably) ultimately be worthwhile. Mind you, I seem to remember my current iMac took an extra 2 months to deliver on top of what they said, so I can only imagine what I must have been thinking back then...

Of course, at present they've only charged me for it, they haven't actually confirmed despatch or anything. So this could still go 'orribly wrong.

Here's an update on my iMac G5...

So, Apple sent out a tech and all the parts they thought I'd need, being that it was a 6 week wait to get a new one built.

You may ask yourself, what parts did they send out?

Glad you asked! :)

They sent:

A new 20" LCD
A new front case
A new Motherboard
A new CPU
A new heatsink

What did I keep from the old one?

Ram, Hard Drive, Optical Drive, Airport Card, Bluetooth.

Now, how couldn't they build one? Its all the parts that could be backordered are being sent to me!

But wait, there's more.....

Apple sent the wrong motherboard, which wasn't discovered until my machine was ripped apart and re-assembled! The tech was a really nice guy, so I didn't mind the near three hours he was here, or the fact that I had to take a day off from work to get my new machine fixed.

Quietly said:
My order was placed on 27th Sept through the Higher Education store.

Well, I ordered mine on September 26th through the Higher Education store will be mighty pissed off if you turn out to be another queue jumper!! ;)

I don't really mind the customer service, it is annoying that they didn't let me know until after it had missed the estimated ship date, and that some sort of queue jumping must have gone on, but hell, I've had worse, and I will be getting an amazing computer at the end of the day!!

Yeah, I asked why some people that I'm hearing about seem to have jumped ahead of me in the queue and got an 'erm, oh, er, not really sure why that would happen...'

Personally, I won't mind so long as it turns up this week and is full working order!

So confident am I that it's on its way that I've just ordered extra memory from Crucial (prices have just dropped btw).

It's been dispatched, though they haven't sent me notification yet! But the online store shows it as shipped and in transit.

I wouldn't worry about it. I just checked on apecode and mines been booked on a flight for.... Friday. Which is when they told me it would be dispatched. By which time, yours will probably have joined it.

Did I mention that I love this iMac G5? =)

I just can't get the price for my G4 that I want - once the iMacs came out their resell value went way down! Darn you Apple! ;-)

I'm still a iMac G4 owner, but I did have concerns with the G5's sound after fooling around with one at the local Apple store. JetwingX earlier post confirmed this. The speakers seem quite limited after being accustomed to the very clear sound from the standard G4 speakers. Is there an option to disable the speakers and upgrade to external ones?

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

We trust you received our email indicating a revised ship date for the product you ordered. We regret to inform you that we must revise the ship date once again, as demand for the product remains beyond our expectations. We now expect to ship your order by November 9th, 2004.

And Quietly, you're dead you bloody queue jumper!!! ;)

I will be sending them a pissed off email tonight though, now that I know for sure that people have pushed ahead of me in the queue!!

Ahh, dedums!

I just had my official shipment notification. Checked on Apecode and it's still waiting for its plane tomorrow, so I reckon I'll get it middle of next week. I'll be sure to let you know how luvverly it is!

Obviously, I complain better than you do...

There's a party in my pants and you're all invited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are pleased to send you this shipment notification regarding your Apple Store order. Your order has been dispatched and will be delivered to your shipping address. Please keep this email as it contains your reference number W******** and shipping/delivery number. Should you have any queries please quote these reference numbers.

Oh yes!!!

How long do things usually take to get here (the UK) from Shanghai? Mine departed on a flight about 24 hours ago (probably more) and there's been no details of it's progress since (using apecode to check).

Sadly, it's not quite that simple.

Kuehne & Nagel fly it out from Shanghai to Luxembourg, then transport by land to the Netherlands where they hand it over to either TNT for delivery to the UK or to Flextronics Logistics. If the latter happens it's because you made a multiple order that has to be 'merged in transit'. Mine is currently at this stage (because of software ordered) and is waiting for Flextronics to pass it on to TNT. When they do, TNT tell me it will take them 24-48 hrs to ship from Holland to my front door.

Apecode currently shows the following on my order:

02 nov 04 Data received from supplier
02 nov 04 Departed from source
02 nov 04 boxes scanned
02 nov 04 Departed from product source
05 nov 04 Flight booked
05 nov 04 Flight Departed
08 nov 04 Departed direct (this would be from Luxembourg)
09 nov 04 Truck arrived at final destination (this would be in Holland)

Flextronics tracking shows that they have merged the order and printed the manifest, but as yet TNT tracking does not have a record of the order. I'm expecting this to happen today so there is a chance I'll see mine by the weekend. I hope!

To track on Flextronics go to:
https://www.iec-logistics.com/apps/tracktrace/trk_tracking.asp

Their info is not always terribly understandable, but I found it useful. You need to put in 'app' as the customer reference.

At last! TNT have got it! It's on its way. Kind of. It's passed through a checkpoint at Arnhem anyway. Should be the last leg now.

I do hope it works...

Don't worry Quietly, it'll be worth the wait. The specs you have on your sig there look very impressive, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

Back