Now that G5 iMacs have been received...

I'm just hoping it compensates for the state of my bank balance :D

Phoned TNT and they said they were due to deliver it on Monday. They don't deliver International orders on a Saturday apparently, but he did say as it would be in the UK by then that I could pop to the depot Saturday morning and pick it up!

So long as its somewhere close by, I think I just might.

When we order Dells here at work, they are ALWAYS shipped fast. Actually, they have always shipped faster than their expected arrival date.

Does Dell make their computers overseas, or in Texas? Why can't Apple have this kind of quickness?

I understand that Apple make all their computers at one of two factories in Shanghai. I might be wrong, and they may have a US based factory as well (at least, I can't think of any good reason why build time for my iMac is 7 days in the States but 3 weeks in the UK!).

Apple have always been dreadful when it comes to delivery times. My G3 iMac was 2 months late, so my new one being 2 weeks late seems a vast improvement. I can only think that this will (and probably continually does) harm sales for them though. I can't think that too many people would switch from PC to Mac if they knew what customer service was like.

My nice new iMac is currently in Northampton. The nice lady at TNT tells me it will ship to my local depot this evening and I can then pick it up in the morning.

I don't know if I'll sleep tonight, it's like Christmas!

I'll be joining this party as of this Monday. It sucks for now because my computer is in my home city but the UPS location is closed on Saturday and Sunday. I'll report back soon.

20", 1.8 Ghz, 512MB RAM, 160 GB HD

It's fantastic. I've been playing with it all day, have loaded on the complete Production Suite & transferred everything from G3 iMac (which now looks a bit sad, sitting next to its grandchild) & it's been an absolute dream. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse work fine, extra memory installed OK. The thing that strikes me most is the size is absolutely immense. I'm swamped by the thing.

Hey Inoelstorr, don't want to rub it in but between Northampton & Brum it must have travelled through Coventry! Trust me, when yours (eventually) turns up, you won't be complaining.

Quietly said:
Hey lnoelstorr, don't want to rub it in but between Northampton & Brum it must have travelled through Coventry! Trust me, when yours (eventually) turns up, you won't be complaining.

:(

Although mine is being delivered to me at work in Leamington - speaking of which, how heavy/easy to carry are they, as I was planning on taking it home on the train.

Mine is currently at 'truck arrived at final destination' at apecode (since Friday), but not showing any activity on any other tracking site.

My guess is it'll arrive Thursday.

It's quite heavy, but you should probably get it home on the train (I think). Just don't plan on carrying anything else as well!

According to UPS the 20" clocks in around 36 pounds. Mine is "out for delivery" but I am stuck here at school! I'm hoping it doesn't arrive until I get home. I'm really excited though. :)

Well, despite it being the best computer I've ever used...my iMac has all the typical problems that you read about on the apple support forums. Fist I noticed a yellow discoloration at the top left hand side of the screen. After running software update and rebooting, the computer would hang for over 3 minutes each and every time I tried (tried 3 times, always hung at the gray apple launch screen). I ran a hardware test and that's when one of the fans went bananas. Thing scared the crap out of me as it not only was louder than my old powermac but it was a bit louder than a dust buster! It sounded like the machine was going to blow up or something. So since I got this machine from powermax.com I emailed them last night and I am waiting to hear about what I need to do to get a new one. Last night was VERY VERY bittersweet! Booting it and the first thing I notice is a problem on the screen was a huge letdown. But it will be worth the wait as this computer seriously kicks ass. - Ryan

RyanLang said:
I ran a hardware test and that's when one of the fans went bananas. Thing scared the crap out of me as it not only was louder than my old powermac but it was a bit louder than a dust buster!

That's normal. If you read the technotes on the iMac G5, you'll see that the fans are managed by a system that constantly measures the temperature of several internal components and sends signals to a management system that advising on what speed to run the fans at.
This is all handled by Mac OS X. As a failsafe though, if the fan management system does not get a signal from Mac OS X in a certain time (every 10 secs) it will increment the speed of the fans upwards, until they reach maximum speed.
The hardware test CD does NOT provide this signal to the fan management system, and as a result when you boot into the hardware test, the fans will speed up steadily from quiet as a mouse to #@$@ loud. This is, however, nothing to be worried about and you can ignore it. Under Mac OS X, the system will be quieter than almost any other computer you'll ever find.
This also explains why the fans are running flat out whenever you drop into Mac OS 9 software.

As for the discolouration, its most likely due to an LCD panel that was incorrectly fitted at the factory. It may come good once re-seated, or may require the LCD replaced. Either way, it should be completed entirely under warranty.

Thanks for your reply. I found out about the fan thing today so that was nice to know. I also found out that 10.3.6 has been causing some crashing issues on other machines too. So, the only real problem is this slight screen discoloration, otherwise this computer is absolutely fantastic. Powermax gave me the benefit of the doubt and they are going to be sending me another one as soon as I send this one back (tomorrow). So basically I got to test out the iMac G5 20" but it doesn't feel the same since I know I have to send it back. This screen is insane, it's almost TOO clear, you have to get used to it coming from a CRT. Thanks again. - Ryan

Christ, I hope I don't have to send mine back, it's taking about 2 weeks to be delivered as it is!!

I thought with these Apple just sent you new parts so you could fix them yourself.

Well it's finally arrived, and at first looks it seems to have cracks in the plastic to the top left and bottom right of the screen, in eac place there seems to be a non-linear crack in the white plastic behind the clear plastic - have there been any other reports of this? I've only managed to find one so for, and it seemed a little trollish so may have been made up.

symphonix said:
Under Mac OS X, the system will be quieter than almost any other computer you'll ever find.
This also explains why the fans are running flat out whenever you drop into Mac OS 9 software.

This is bad. That means if you put in any other OS like Linux, you'll have a hurricane on your desk. I would have thought letting the OS control something like fans is a silly idea. Why not just let the hardware take care of itself?

lnoelstorr said:
Well it's finally arrived, and at first looks it seems to have cracks in the plastic to the top left and bottom right of the screen, in eac place there seems to be a non-linear crack in the white plastic behind the clear plastic - have there been any other reports of this? I've only managed to find one so for, and it seemed a little trollish so may have been made up.

OK, I got another chance to look at it (I'm at work) and it seems it was just all a trick of the light. Boy am I relieved!!

Well, anyone who thinks that the G5 iMac suggests a G5 laptop isn't too far away should try carrying one of these things any distance. They way a bloody tonne, I've still got red marks on my hands this morning!

General verdict - lovely!!

I haven't really tried much out yet to comment on it performance wise, although it seemed slower that I expected at scrolling through my photos in iPhoto.

Well, I'm having problems with mine!

It's suddenly given up on connecting to the internet, keeps giving me a 'No Carrier Signal' message. My G3 is having NO problems whatsoever, but I've tested my G5 thoroughly (including taking it round to my sister's & trying it there - it was fine) & it just won't do it.

The quality of the phoneline sounds fine, but BT are sending someone round to check it properly. I'm wondering if the modem in my G5 is just a bit more sensitive to noise than the one in my G3.

Hmm.

Back