Now that G5 iMacs have been received...

You use a modem? Loser!!

I removed the modem from the configuration of machine, but it still seems to have it, and came with a phone cable too. I guess it's easier just to leave them in - I'll test this tomorrow if it actually works though.

Last night I got to see my friends new iMacG5,17in.512ram,1.6ghz,combo drive.While it's certainly a nice machine I couldn't personally see a HUGE speed increase over my G4 iMac.Well it may have ripped a cd a little quicker into iTunes but not by much.The weirdest thing perspective wise is that the screen looks smaller than mine, maybe because it sits lower I don't know just an observation. . This being their first new Mac I had great fun showing them around the OS,kind of made feel like tech support ;)

Quietly said:
Just a thought, but what Broadband ISP's would people recommend (UK only please!)

I use Pipex. They've always been pretty reliable, and are fairly cheap too. There also a well established company, which I think is good.

In other news, my iMac seems to have trouble ejecting some CD, and I have to give them quite a yank to get them out, are there any other reports of this kind of problem?

I have heard this being a problem for some people. Something to do with labels on discs, etc. I think there was something posted on the apple knowledge boards.

markceltic said:
Last night I got to see my friends new iMacG5,17in.512ram,1.6ghz,combo drive.While it's certainly a nice machine I couldn't personally see a HUGE speed increase over my G4 iMac.

You know, regarding the G5 iMac performance...

The entire system seems to bottleneck a LOT more when paging to disk than I see with my G5 desktop, which seems to mean that having enough memory is even more important.

Also, found that mismatched speeds of memory in the DIMM slots seems to make a big performance difference. Putting in a PC2700 DIMM is *not* a good idea =)

When I threw two 512MB PC3100 DIMMs I got *excellent* performance out of the box. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to like those DIMMS and crashes fairly regularly (though all the hardware tests pass no problem). But it crashes and reboots really FAST! =)

Have you other folks that have gotten the G5s been paying attention to your temperature in this system?

I started monitoring it after some crashing problems I had when I installed some new memory (though hardware check repeatedly passes this memory fine, naturally, the system is very unstable with the memory in. Funny that it worked fine in a Dual 2Ghz G5 up until recently, though).

The Hard drive is regularly between 50-55 degrees Celcius, and the CPU goes anywhere from around 53 degrees (idle) to 75+ degrees (heavy workload).

This seems unbelievably hot compared to other systems I've run, where 60 degrees C was the auto-shutoff point. However, even at 75 degrees Celcius, the fans in my system never really seem to get any more aggressive (though they ARE running as far as I can tell.

Is this a normal temperature for this box? Mine's a 1.8Ghz, and perhaps the iMacs just run much hotter than any other Mac/PC I've ever seen. If no one else's runs this hot, it's going back to the shop...

Ripcord - Is your G5 D2.0 first generation? if so, then read this Xlr8yourMac G5 heating article (and look at the pictures).

Plus, are your sure you aren't seeing temperatures in fahrenheit? I ask this because my first gen D1.8 reads (after 7 hours of heavy use) as follows (using ThermographX):

Drive Bay: 80°F (with a max of 90°F)
Backside: 77°F
Heatsink: 138°F
CPU A: 78°
CPU B: 80°

I'm actually talking about the G5 iMac, the 2.0Ghz G5 at work runs great (though I don't remember the CPU temps offhand - seems to me they stayed in the 50s. This makes me even more worried tho.

The temperatures reported are definitely in Celcius - if I switch to farenheit the temps become 150 or something degrees. Your CPUtemps, if they're in Farenheit, seem extremely low (especially with the heatsink temp there, which is much higher. I'm not sure how the CPU cores could be *cooler* than the heatsink) - are you sure that's right?

Can anyone else with a G5 iMac, especially a 1.8, check and see what temps you're seeing? In my case, I can see the temps rise into the mid-high 60s within about a minute of heavy use, shortly after boot.

Just for a point of reference, my Powerbook's video adapter pretty much hovers at 60º C. The processor is anywhere between 30º - 50º C. The hard drive is normally at 30ºC. I think the G5s tend to run a lot hotter than other chips, hence all the esoteric cooling solutions for the G5 (9 fans?).

Ripcord said:
Your CPUtemps, if they're in Farenheit, seem extremely low (especially with the heatsink temp there, which is much higher. I'm not sure how the CPU cores could be *cooler* than the heatsink) - are you sure that's right?

Yep, quite sure. When I first got the temperature program, I couldn't believe my eyes. My D1.8 isn't even loud! I must have received a good production model. The only time I heard the fans rev up was when I was messing around in single user mode.

G5 iMac Tech Specs page

Electrical and environmental requirements
Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 100-240V AC, depending on country of purchase
Frequency: 47Hz to 63Hz, single phase
Maximum continuous power: 180W
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

Just an update: I ordered that 17" iMac G5, customized to include the bluetooth module and (1) 512 MB RAM module... I got it today! 2 days early, actually.

I have it sitting on my 2nd desk behind me, and so far all the people who have seen it so far have asked if "that's the whole computer"... lol It's pretty sweet.

BTW, how do you determine the temperature of the chip? Do you have to download a 3rd party app?

For Oscar Castillo and others underwhelmed by the speed:

1. Don't forget to go to System Prefs>Energy Saver>Options and put the processor performance on highest.

2. Wait for more G5 optimizations.

Doug

MDLarson said:
Just an update: I ordered that 17" iMac G5, customized to include the bluetooth module and (1) 512 MB RAM module... I got it today! 2 days early, actually.

I have it sitting on my 2nd desk behind me, and so far all the people who have seen it so far have asked if "that's the whole computer"... lol It's pretty sweet.

BTW, how do you determine the temperature of the chip? Do you have to download a 3rd party app?

Just head on over to VersionTracker or MacUpdate and search for temperature. I personally use ThermoInDock.

Quietly said:
Hard Drive around 51 degrees C
CPU around 52 degrees C (idle-ish)

Apparently ThermoInDock was made inoperable by 10.3.5. I downloaded Temperature Monitor and got the following results (idling):
CPU Temperature: 59.4° C
Hard Drive: 52.5° C
SMART Disk ST380013AS (3JVD0ADC): 58.0° C

This would be the 1.6 GHz 17" version.

I'm using Temparture Monitor too. It stays pretty much around what I've posted there (20" version).

Suppose I could render some Final Cut stuff and see what happens to the CPU...

Back