Opinions: Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da_iMac_Daddy

Not-so-Neo-DumbA$$
I don't know if this is breaking any forums rules but I think we should let it go.

Almost every person I know has tried one drug or another. I would say 99.9% of my friends have smoked pot, and in High School (and College from what I've experienced) it's socially exceptable. Even with harder drugs such as ecstasy, coke, mushrooms, acid, and even prescription drug abuse is getting more frequent (probably the most frequent in my area which is scary). I myself have had plenty of experience with pot, I've tried mushrooms, and I loved the feeling I got from doing ecstasy. Before I ever tried a new drug I did as much research as I could before I finally decided to do them. Certain drugs if used in controlled amounts, I think, can be a good thing. Although I also believe no drug should be used excessively.

Anyway before I start rambling, what I really wanted was to probe you guys for some of your opinions on the topic.

BTW: I'm excluding alcohol because the OVERWHELMING majority of people I know drink so I don't really care about it. Even some of the parents I know openly except that their kids drink and just try to keep them informed and safe.

i did "pot" several times, but i never was addicted to it. I only did it 7 or 8 times, and i really don't like it.. For the rest i've never tried any other drugs. And i don't smoke. I drink at party's (never in the weekdays, only weekends), yes, i drink a lot and i get drunk sometimes (and often i'm ashamed for it....). I tried to stop drinking for 2 weeks, but not drinking at party's is fckng to hard! So i didn't "accomplished".

Playing with brain chemistry is a bad thing for people who are ignorant of the dangers of drug useage. Cocaine changes the brain chemistry PERMANENTLY THE FIRST TIME it is used. Do a search on Google to read about how cocaine does this (specifically affects DOPA production). You are almost GUARENTEED to develop some mental illness later in your life after that one-time usage of cocaine. I would suspect that other illegal drugs do similar actions on the brain. Trying an illegal drug for recreational purposes that could possibly, and very likely, change the way I perceive and interact with world in which I live scares the hell out of me. Think twice about drug use, and then think about it again before you give it a try, it could affect your life in many ways you could never imagine.

Before studying politics and social science, I was in toxicology, ie. how psychotropic products (drugs) affect your physical and psychological capabilities.

No matter what drug you take, they're all the same: they all handicap some of your senses. Of course some are an obvious danger because they will block some crucial neural transmissions; but even so-called 'soft' drugs do affect domains like memory, emotivity, concentration or general sensitivity and fragility to mental aggression.

chemistry_geek: all drugs permanently affect your brain on the first use. Even bananas affect dopamin distro ;)

For my own I've been on weed for 6 months (depressed), started smoking cigs and drinking a bit (just for fun) at the same period. I kept on those latter, but totally quitted sh!t.

do 'smart' or 'design' drugs count as drugs too?

i have never tried cocaine because i'm afraid i would like it. since i was 10 and the religious freaks started to lesson in the elementary schools about the drugs, showing transparencies after transparencies "someone is using this sh!t if he has these signs.." (and being so blindly convinced their freaking belief in whatever was better) .. everyone seemed to freak out as i was hyperactive, skinny, had huge pupils ..

i have casual drinks in the parties, and don't have a high tolerance for alcohol (=get drunk easily if drinking). i don't condamn alcohol, tabacco, weed etc, but if you NEED *whatever substance* to party or to have fun, you have a problem. with a good company a drink can be nice, but if you are unable to have any fun without drinking/smoking/other substances, go to the 12 steps...

I've never done a single (non-medicinal) drug, i can enjoy myself, or depress myself without them. I don't really care what other people do it's their choice, the only thing that pisses me off is when people complain about a hangover like they didnt expect it, or when they use being drunk/stoned as an excuse for a cock-up they made.

cocaine.org has interesting points about the history of cocaine. i think as leaves they are ok, but i would not suggest anyone to touch the chemically altered stuff.

Did weed a couple times in high school. Just experiments...enjoyed myself all but once. But, I can't really like putting chems into my body when un-needed so I haven't touched it since. I've never done anything else. I casually drink on occasion (couple times a year). I rarely get drunk.

- G!mpy

Originally posted by toast
chemistry_geek: all drugs permanently affect your brain on the first use. Even bananas affect dopamin distro ;)

Toast,

I'm specifically referring to a recent study that has linked cocaine use with depression later in life (sorry, I don't have time right now to find the links). The new study shows evidence that structures deep inside the brain, i.e. hippocampus, sustain permanent damage associated with one-time cocaine useage. Depression is also correlated with a malfunctioning frontal lobe, which is used for abstract thinking, decision making, judgement, etc... So it would appear that there is more damage done than just to the hippocampus. Though more research is needed to support my argument, I think that there may more damage done to the brain from these illegal drugs than what is obviously found from the current studies. Just trying cocaine one time does the permanent damage to which I'm referring. After trying cocaine, you are changed forever. The emotions you experience and decisions you make AFTER trying cocaine could have drastic consequences for the remainder of your life.

Pot never did much for me, just made me stupid and paranoid and giggly. I've never tried anything else although at one point I almost tried mushrooms.

For me, alcohol has always provided whatever "release" I've needed. In college I got a fair amount of flack for not being more adventuresome.

To be honest, I dislike being around people on drugs. Their behaviour is just too freaky, even if its just pot.

I guess my take on it is that drugs (regardless of what type you're talking about) should be regulated and supervised. I'm totally against the use of ANY type of drug inappropriately, but I'm not one of those who think that any drug that has been illegal can never be used beneficially.

I'm for the legalizing of drugs like marijuana, but under the exact same conditions as every other drug on the market. Some may say that is draconian, but it sure does bring everything under better control.

One of the main problems with any drug is ABUSE of that drug. Just about anything used properly, in moderation, and under supervision can be safe. Conversely, just about anything used improperly, in excess, and without supervision can be deadly (to yourself or others).

Marijuana, alcohol, caffiene, tylenol, you name it. They are all substances that can be used to heal or harm. The main problem with illegal, illicit drugs is that they haven't been tested in a lab. When you smoke a joint or snort a line, how many milligrams are you getting? Are you getting "one dose" or fifteen? Who processed the drug? Did they use sterile methods in the processing? What is the quality of the drug? Is it fresh or old? Has a doctor determined if the use of the drug is safe for you or not? Does the drug interact with anything else you are taking?

The same questions we would ask about the drugs we buy over-the-counter or from a pharmacy need to be asked about any other substance we put in our bodies.

Having said all that, I personally am firmly against the use of any illegal (meaning non-approved by the government) drug. If for no other reason than for the safety of ourselves and those around us. This means I am also firmly against the improper use of a drug that is legal, for the same reasons.

I am stiffly anti-drugs (besides legal, safe, tested prescription drugs), and the only activity I condone is moderate drinking for those of the appropriate age. Many people I know smoke cigarettes or pot, and I just feel there's no point. No point in getting addicted to some expensive, dangerous substance that can end up controlling your life. That's not to mention the shit they do to your body. I just feel life is too precious to waste putting harmful substances into one's body.

I tried pot for the first time about a month ago. I really enjoyed it and will probably do it again. The most alchohol I've ever had at at one time is a Mike's Hard Lemonade. And I've smoked a cigarettes. I didn't hate it, but the medical risks and costs are too high for me to become a smoker.

I think pot is okay in moderation and I think alcohol and cigarettes are bad for people.

FYI: Pot is worse than cigarettes, medically speaking.

You should probably look up the health factors involved before trying it again if you think pot (an illegal substance) is okay and cigarettes (a legal drug) are bad.

Originally posted by chevy
I use only one drug, daily... more powerful that any other: sex !

You're damn right, chevy. This type of drug_(on the left) I'll never quit. ;) ;) ;)

My only other drugs are cigarettes (half a pack a day, one pack and a half if exams), alcohol (moderate during the week, heavy fun during parties) and coffee, cold, black coffee. They all have their usage:

cigs - nerves
drink - rejoice
coffee - stay awake

OK saying pot is worse than cigarettes. Come on now. Cigarettes (nicotine and the other stuff shoved in there to make it more addictive) really are, in my opinion, the worst form of a drug there is. They are in my opinion THE most addictive thing I have ever tried. I'm still trying to quit.

Point being that from what I have seen personally, pot only seems to form a mental addiction (I know all addiction is in some way or another mental but most also have physical properties to them too). When I quit smoking pot regularly, I just said to myself this is impairing your work in school and you need to quit and I did easy as that. Now I only smoke pot about once a month and that's up from about once every 4 months. Keep in mind I am saying from my own experience and observations.

Now if a joint has 4 times as many chemicals as a cigarette so what? If I were to smoke a joint I wouldn't light up another one an hour later. I probably wouldn't light up for the rest of the week. Now a cigarette on the other hand becomes severely addictive. At one point I was smoking almost a pack every two days so that's 10 cigarettes a day. 10/4=2.5, so I would have to smoke two and a half joints a day to equal how many chemicals I put in my body with those cigarettes. I don't know about you guys but about 4 hits of a joint gets me high so I don't think I would be doing that. Also you have to factor in that I would at most smoke a joint one or two days out of the week, but I would and do smoke everyday (I've cut it down to about 4 a day 2 if I'm lucky). So in no way can you convince me that smoking pot is worse for you than cigarettes.

By the way I am wholly against the use of Cocaine, and Heroine. I have family that has had experience with these drugs and talking with her makes me understand why they are two of the most dangerous drugs.

I've never tried any illegal drugs, though I've had the opportunity to. I don't really feel there's much of a point. And no under-age drinking for me, either.... when I come of age, I'll probably drink a little, socially, but that's it.

But I am FIRMLY against the consumption of Caffine... and, more specifically, Coffee to "keep me going/awake/alive."

I've seen Coffee wreck too many lives. Coffee is a dangerous and expensive drug that much of the US is hooked on. Worse, yet, it is freely distributed at offices!

Note: I am half joking... but only half... this country has an obsession with coffee as a means to support you throughout your day. It is horrible nutritionally, and is basically just a caffine rush. God forbid we try to just have a decent diet and snack on Granola bars and have an apple a day, eh?

I had one cigarette and I was wanting another for like a week after. I almost stole a pack from this lady I know. I smoked pot and said to myself, "it'd be nice to do that again someday". I haven't had any cravings. There have been a few time I've hoped I'd do it, but the feeling was more like wanting to go see a movie. I wouldn't have to, but it'd be nice.

OMG. I forgot about caffenee. I am sooooooo000OOO000oo adicted to caffene. I have at least 2 Diet cokes a day. If I had my way I'd be drinking it constantly. I usually fall asleep around 4AM and wake up at 10AM. Then I grab a Diet Coke to stay awake. Then I need another and another.

PS. have you noticed how many sizes of drink there are? There's the 6oz can, 12oz can, 20oz bottle, 1 liter bottle, 2 liter bottle and 3 liter bottle. All we need is the tall can and the keg and we'd be set.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
Toast,

I'm specifically referring to a recent study that has linked cocaine use with depression later in life (sorry, I don't have time right now to find the links). The new study shows evidence that structures deep inside the brain, i.e. hippocampus, sustain permanent damage associated with one-time cocaine useage. Depression is also correlated with a malfunctioning frontal lobe, which is used for abstract thinking, decision making, judgement, etc... So it would appear that there is more damage done than just to the hippocampus. Though more research is needed to support my argument, I think that there may more damage done to the brain from these illegal drugs than what is obviously found from the current studies. Just trying cocaine one time does the permanent damage to which I'm referring. After trying cocaine, you are changed forever. The emotions you experience and decisions you make AFTER trying cocaine could have drastic consequences for the remainder of your life.

So wait, if i have had some sort of depression since forever, and a strong fear of doctors and psycos of any kind since i was born (and i really dont want to explain all the dirty details of after), what would you suggest as an antidote? i have never tried cocaine or anything not prescribed to me & stronger than weed... i don't want to try any pills or anything chemical. no pill is a solution. grabbing the past (due to whatever) seems to offer no weirdnesses in this live... ::alien::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back