OS "EX" or OS "Ten"?

MacOS "Ex" or MacOS "Ten"?

• "Ex" all the way - they don't call 'em "Ten-Men"

• "Ten" is cool in a Superbowl-kinda way

Results are only viewable after voting.
But Steve speaks English, not French, and there are Dots in English, and Steve uses English and says "Dot" so therefore, it's Dot. Atleast in English :D

I will try to talk about this to Steve, at the next Apple Expo (hum, if there IS an Apple Expo, this year). This "point vs dot" problem is too painfull... He MUST says it in french :D :D

When i am ralking about the system in general i just say X not os X just X (and i an not saying ex!) but when i neen to talkabout a spific version i say 10.1.2, 10.1.3 ect

I am kind of like you I say 10.1.4 when I want to give a specific version but I say ex when I am just talking about Mac OS X.

No offense to anybody in here, but when someone pronounces it OS EX it kind of sounds gay to me. It makes me think the person who is commenting on it isnt smart enough to know his Roman Numerals. It is not EX its 10. Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, Mac OS 10. The only reason an X is in their is because it is the Roman Numeral for 10 and it looks cooler then simply writting OS 10 on the box. Remember it is not prounouced EX its pronounced ten!

Originally posted by theCaptain
No offense to anybody in here, but when someone pronounces it OS EX it kind of sounds gay to me. It makes me think the person who is commenting on it isnt smart enough to know his Roman Numerals. It is not EX its 10. Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, Mac OS 10. The only reason an X is in their is because it is the Roman Numeral for 10 and it looks cooler then simply writting OS 10 on the box. Remember it is not prounouced EX its pronounced ten!

So, gay people aren't smart enough to understand roman numerals? :rolleyes:

So... tell me this...
Why is it that on just about everywhere I see "OS X" I see "OS X Version 10", "OS X Version 10.x", "OS X Version 10.1.x", "OS X v. 10.1.x" and the such?

That automatically turns the "X" back into EX and throws roman numerals out the window in my book. :p

Either take the "X" out of OS X and put "10" or do X.1.x... or even X.I.x...
Or acept it being called "OS EX"!

The only way it would be acceptable is if Apple used roman numerals from day 1 for their OS... Like Star Wars IV, V, VI then I II III (everyone I know uses either the Roman Numeral or the Name of that particular "Episode"(?) when speaking of a particular Star Wars movie) - THEN OS X would have been a no-brainer OS TEN!

Ok - I'll step off of my soap box now. :D
We where arguing different points of view in class today about our and eachother's art compositions late at night... and I guess it's still in my system! heh :)

I hadn't realized it before, but the About this Mac screen tells us how we're going to be seeing it for a while. Mac OS X, Version 10.1.4. I like this approach.

Originally posted by mindbend
I hadn't realized it before, but the About this Mac screen tells us how we're going to be seeing it for a while. Mac OS X, Version 10.1.4. I like this approach.

:)

So, gay people aren't smart enough to understand roman numerals?

You know I dont mean gay people, I just used the term gay to indicate something that was kind of stupid, no I dont have anything against gay people, its just an expression. To address the Mac OS X 10.1.4 naming issue, it is like this because you cant combine roman numerals and numbers like Mac OS X.1.4, It just doesnt work. That is why it is like this, the correct way to prounouce this is Mac OS 10.1.4, you simply ignore the roman numberal X cause it is simply stating the Operating Sytem, the 10.1.4 indicates the version number. I dont think it is even correct to issue periods after roman numerals, however I could be wrong on that one. I suppose the Could of said Mac OS X.I.IV but that can be challenging to read quickly, and I dont even know you can actually use a series of Roman Numerals like that. Remember its not an X its a roman numeral that simply looks like an X, look at the box carefully and its easy to see that is is a giant Romal numeral not a simple x, like XP, which sucks by the way.

Originally posted by googolplex
ksv, nice photoshopping :).

And keep on using chimera! You can put bookmarks on your personal toolbar btw....

Actually, I wouln't even have to use Photoshop to make that picture, I could simply use the Terminal and pico ;)

Believe what you want, but I can bet 100 bucks that 10.1.5 is going to be released within a few days/weeks :)

Pico? Where is the version information kept? Is the "About this Mac" screen updated dynamically? I assumed that there was an About image somewhere...

Originally posted by nkuvu
Pico? Where is the version information kept? Is the "About this Mac" screen updated dynamically? I assumed that there was an About image somewhere...

It's somewhere like System>Library>CoreServices>SystemVersion.plist , I think :)

I have some same captures!

Important.jpg

Version.jpg

Build.jpg

More interesting: While holding down the Eject Key...
Eject.jpg

Back