OS X.2 What do YOU want??

JohnnyV

Registered
Maybe Apple is listening...:D
Okay What do you want with 10.2?

Here is what I want:
1.) Better Battery life!! I used to get 4 hours on my TiBook, but now only get about 2.5 to 3 under OS X (compared to 9).

2.) Software Airport Base Station! I can't afford a base station, and must use my iMac in OS 9 as a Software Base Station cause X doesn't have it yet:mad:!!

Thats all I want (although some more speed would be nice) :rolleyes: !!

I'll add:

- Spring-loaded folders
- Labels
- Folders that actually remember layout & settings
- Selective use of dotfiles on network volumes (even though it conflicts with the previous one :) )
- Improved SMB/NFS connectivity options
- Drivers for my Alps USB Dye-sub printer (I can dream, can't I?)

- Decent speech recognition bundled.
- Mounting FTP servers in the finder ala Windows (yes, I feel dirty :)

Yeh, using a software airport base station is a GREAT idea, that should be possible in some way, shouldn't it?
I want SPEED ;)

If you drag a file onto a folder, that the folder opens and you could browse further in an folder in that folder, and that folder opens when you drag your file onto that folder and etc....

that's all folks..

SENNE

Originally posted by senne
If you drag a file onto a folder, that the folder opens and you could browse further in an folder in that folder, and that folder opens when you drag your file onto that folder and etc....

that's all folks..

SENNE

Yeh, spring loading folders are cool, and I too really want that in OS X :)

I'd like to see....

- location/address bar like windows... (optional of course..)
- better finder response (although i am on iMac DV SE 400mHz)
- faster
- not bring down my system when using itunes and other apps cause i only have 256MB RAM
- better networking features (how you connect to server, etc) as its too confusing trying to connect to a networked computer if you are dumb (or tired)
- the ability to lose the aqua-ness (or tone down) for a less processor-intensive GUI
- ability to save different image formats out of preview (or some other program), because how do you make a jpg file out of a tif (such as screenshot) file if you don't have photoshop or a third party app

don't get me wrong... i love os x... but the fact that it runs slower than the 450mhz pc i have at work running windows98 is a bit disappointing... but i've had great success and ease in setting up and running mac os x... something that is too difficult for windows...

Things such as my external firewire hard drive (which my system is installed onto), the laser printer, etc were all detected and easily installed (only needed for printer)... although it says my epson stylus 1160 is not a supported printer....

Compared to windows mac os x rocks in every domain, except for speed...

make it faster and you have already met my expectations... implement the list above and you will surpass my wildest dreams...

iFunk™

I want two things

GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT

and

MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT

dang nabbit!

I want:

1. Speed
2. Spring-loaded folders

And the thing I really want to see is the Energy Saver from Mac OS 9 back. I watch DVD's to get to sleep and some menu's (such as Shrek) are animated and have people talking and saying the same things over again and again until you get up and turn it off at 4:30 in the morning. In the case of Shrek, the menu has Donkey (Eddie Murphy) jumping around yelling "Pick me! Pick me!". It's the most anoying sound to wake up to. If I had the energy saver I could set it to shut down at like 3 AM.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I want two things

GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT
GREEK SUPPORT

and

MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT
MORE SCSI SUPPORT

dang nabbit!

That's 11 :p

I want esperanto support :p

Off the top of my head:

-windowshade...and not WindowShadeX.
-sping loaded folders...so people will shut up already (I never liked them).
-the ability for my wallstreet to sleep without the fan running when unplugged. I shut down now, which kills me because it wakes in about two seconds.
-I'd like to be able to scroll in the window like in OS9, using the command key and dragging with the mouse, instead of cmd-opt-drag. I wonder why this was changed.
-I'd also like to be able to move windows other than by using the title bar.
-speed. I don't complain about it, it's just that faster is better.

There's more...

In no particular order.

1) USB Printer Sharing

2) Software Base Station

3) Finder Labels

4) Spring Loaded Folders

5) FTP capability through the "Connect To" (Apple-K) option in the Finder. Make FTP volumes appear like regular volumes on the desktop (ala Netfinder)

6) I'd like to see Apple make a general purpose Twain scanner driver, like what they did for Image Capture. This way in the future scanner manufacturers can just use Apple's solution instead of having to devote their own resources in to writing drivers.

7) Better power management features on Powerbooks

8) Return of sounds in alert boxes and dialogs. Of course, it will need to have an option to turn it off too.

9) Better dock options, for instance A) Allow us to turn off the labels when we mouse over items in the Dock, B) Make the item names that do show up on Mouseover have a background, (like those yellow MS tool tips), so the text of them is distinguishable from text on dekstop icons. and C) Give us the option to make the Dock encompass the entire side of a screen that it occupies, regardless of how many items are in it. Have the Dock items flush left, with new ones added to the right.

10) Speed increases (10.1 is good, let's shoot for even better optimization in 10.2)

11) Bug fixes - here's my list of most requested bug fixes
a) Get icons on the desktop to stay put in their assigned positions. I find that with my dock on the right, my icons keep creeping over more to the far right of the screen. I keep having to manually move them a bit left so the Dock's text doesn't confuse text from items on the desktop.
b) Fix the damn multiprocessor Quicksilver deep sleep issue. I'm wasting $$$$ keeping this thing awake when I'm not around it because deep sleep doesn't work on it.
c) Improve Mouse speed resolution. The highest setting is too slow if you have a monitor any bigger than 1024x768, which most of us do now. And while your at it, improve third party USB 2 button scrollwheel mice support. It's OK right now, but if Apple isn't going to give us the 2button scrollwheel mouse themselves, I'd like to see them at least fully support 3rd party solutions a little better. See #12...

12) Fix it so that Carbon applications Open/Save dialog boxes can take advantage of scrollwheel mice.

That's all I can think of now....

1. Improved Dock...tabs (to group applications) maybe?
2. FTP support directly in the Finder
3. More stability
4. Improved preferences in Mail (like not populating my address book with every address I ever send to.
5. Import/export improvements for Address Book, Palm conduit?
6. Window re-size anchor on lower left corner of windows too
7. Option to put home on Desktop
8. Option to put Trash on Desktop
9. Better power/sleep options

I guess that's all I can think of at the moment.

Ahhh yeah, the ability to turn off the dock also. And pop-up windows, now those I used all the time.

Originally posted by level9
Ahhh yeah, the ability to turn off the dock also. And pop-up windows, now those I used all the time.

Turn off the dock?
Just remove the Dock.app from /System/Library/CoreServices ;)
I haven't tried, though, do iut at your own risk :p

Originally posted by ulrik
And where do windows then minimize to?

And now don't say WindowShade ;)

Oh, I forgot that :p
OK, but it's possible to set the dock to automatically show/hide, level9 ;)

Back