OS X.2 What do YOU want??

Originally posted by ksv

OK, but it's possible to set the dock to automatically show/hide, level9 ;)
Yeah but I don't really use it, I've used DragThing for years and prefer the way it handles things, plus the ability to add command keys for items in it is worth it's weight in gold. I have command keys set up to open just about everything I use. How about the ability in the Dock PrefsPane to set the delay on the dock, that way I can set it to the highest setting? That would work. :D

Another thing I'd love to see in 10.2, but probably won't, is RAM disks.

Ram disk being back would be cool! I never really used them, but I might now (i do more in X than I did in 9:rolleyes: ). I don't know if this would be possible though with the way OS X uses RAM (paging, etc.). What do/did you use RAM disks for?:cool:

Yeah I agree, I would like to be able to you my computer as an alarm clock like I did in os 9. I also would like to be able to program my function keys like I could in os 9. I can not do this in os x. I wish they would hurry up, because these were 2 of my favorite features of os 9.

Originally posted by wdw_
And the thing I really want to see is the Energy Saver from Mac OS 9 back. I watch DVD's to get to sleep and some menu's (such as Shrek) are animated and have people talking and saying the same things over again and again until you get up and turn it off at 4:30 in the morning. In the case of Shrek, the menu has Donkey (Eddie Murphy) jumping around yelling "Pick me! Pick me!". It's the most anoying sound to wake up to. If I had the energy saver I could set it to shut down at like 3 AM.

you too?! that's cool! i was watching rush hour 2 and all that chinese music woke me up... it was annoying as hell!

1. Pop-up folders
2. Spring-loaded folders
3. Backgrounds on text on the desktop (and in folders too), rather than just white text with a drop shadow... or maybe an option to change the color of the text. You can't have a light colored desktop, it looks like crap and it's hard to read!
4. Right/control-clicking on folders/volumes in the Finder should give me a submenu that lets me browse the contents of the item!
5. Speed.

for apple to include the extension that will allow adesso to make the driver to make my new keyboard fully functional in osx. (make the volume, mail, calculator, back, forward, etc buttons work)

Originally posted by JohnnyV
What do/did you use RAM disks for?:cool:
Well, the only thing I really used a RAM disk for was SETI, I had all the SETI files on the RAM disk, and my machine could spin the drives down, etc.
I got a quicksilver in early October and have been putting it to sleep at night most of the time, instead of letting it run overnight (SETI, ftp, web server, hotline server, etc), except when I really need it I let it run.

virtual desktops
a more SNAX like Finder
metadata for file formats
openGL 2.0
built-in GUI for FTP
ability to set NO BACKGROUND for desktop - prob can do it now
built-in XML tools
better Mail.app

I have other ideas... :D

- Manual hard-drive spin-down control
- Ram-Disk
- Speaking alerts (Hey, I liked them at least!)
- A samba browser.
In the meantime, I want the AppleWorks update in Australian English. Right now, only American English has been updated for OS-X!

I just remembered....

I want Command-X to cut an object in the finder...

sometimes when downloading files, they still have the broken icon (although when double-clicked they open up in the appropriate program) -- not sure if this is the finder or carracho, but this annoys me

for those people wanting timed processes (alarm clock, etc) learn to use cron or find an easy cron admin program - u got unix under the hood, why not use it?

what i'd love is to be able to install two os x versions on the one drive (such as x.1 and server.1) and also have a built in disk checker/defragmenter (which is able to run on the startup volume)

better finder response with scrolling and just moving around...

iFunk™

I also want mail.mac.com to get off its ass and wake up...

faster app launch time as it's still not as fast as 9 in some cases, some faster. faster window reseize still to be fluid. apple fix the quicktime problem how it's not responsivie when it's playing movies and you try to move the window and access menues in the app. allow us to totally turn off all stupid animations. it's exactly like windows how it slides things open etc. way slow this way. better smb so we can access pc like sharity and dave. and turn on filesharing this way so pc can see mac and log on. network print drivers release from epson or apple. for stylus C80 and others. loose the spinning cursor problem. faster boot and reboot time by at least 3 times.

hmm... application launch times are okay. no need to improve there. just don't QUIT them anymore, stupid, mac os x handles RAM beautifully. ;)

quicktime is okay here, too. buy more RAM.

finder responsiveness could still be better.

1. deffinately drivers for my CanoScan scanner. ( canon is a bunch of lazy nazis. )
2. themes would deffinately be nice.
3. maybe easier icon management ( e.g. ability to set a default folder icon, or the trash icon, without having to set back into 9 )
4. easier connectivity with windows.
5. Multiple docks damn it. "2 docks are better than one" ( i know that was stupid :) )

thats all for now.

For people looking to schedule things, there is a gret cron GUI called CronniX. I use it to download movie infi into my palm at 3am every day. I have a perl script called showtimes which downloads movie info from yahoo. I can configure this to only list movie info for the specific theathers I want. In OS 9 I would run the Perl script (which makes .pdb files for the palm app) before syncing. Now with CronniX and OS X, my Mac simply makes new .pdb files everyday while I sleep. :D

CronniX is very cool!

fryke lol. no need to say stupid.

i have a ton of ram, no need for more.
QT has been noted to be unresponsive even inside apple when it plays movies and you try to move the window or min it or quit the app or do anything. if you read other posts in this site from more then a month ago you'll see the same reported by over 50 people. and i have tried QT on 50 different macs and it's the same on everyone.

app launch time needs to be faster for some apps.

If you use an AppleScript or an application like DockRestarter to quit the Dock, try minimizing a window when the Dock is quit. You'll notice the minimize button has been rendered completely useless -- you can click it, and it still shows the minus sign when rolled over, but it does nothing when clicked (unless you have WindowShade X installed). A nice touch, because if they ever decide to implement a function to be able to turn off the Dock, windows aren't going to minimize to nowhere. In addition, if you have minimized windows in the Dock and you quit it, where do those windows go? They automatically get unminimized, that's where. VERY handy for those times I need to restart the Dock. The only thing that Apple would need to change is to make the minimize button totally disabled (greyed out) when the Dock is turned off.

In order of importance (sorta):

1) Virtual Desktops - this might raise odd dock issues, but lordy I need it. and every other OS can do it.

2) USB Printer Sharing - Windows can do it quite easily...

3) Command + ~ to change between windows in finder (how it works in every other app).

4) Maill.app Mail templates - so I don't have to keep a text file with my most sent messages.

4.5) Mail.app speed - small mailboxes (1-3 Meg) take forever to scroll, genereate, etc. So sluggish.

5) A more configurable way of organizing access to applications - currently I have a folder with aliases to my most common apps (and an alias to my main applications folder) in the dock. It works but it's a but sloppy of a solution.

6) if the dock is on the right, change the side that the "folder arrows" are on. (put a folder (with other folders in it) in the dock and right-click on it, see how the subfolders arrows point to the wrong side?)

7) Better help files / faster startup for help - if I search the help for "umlaut" it should tell me how to type one. and if I misspell it, it should offer to search on the spell checked words (ala google).

8) add a "new text file" option to the finder right-click menu. When I need to take a quick note, it's a pain to go get textedit and open it. (this is also tied into #5)

9)More official themes, or a documented theme tool

Thats all for now. OS X is great (I switched from windows 4 months ago, and haven't looked back), but it still needs to be nicely polished. 10.2 probably won't answer my prayers, but I hope it gets most of them.

my system: 733 G4 / 640 MB

1 - Faster (How the windows resizing can be so slow ?)
2 - More stability : From time to time, the Dock does some very strange things...
3 - Session locking
4 - Support for more USB devices (I would like to use my Philips USB Webcam again...)
5 - And all these little tricks from OS 9...

1. More USB support for devices.
2. USB Print sharing
3. Ability to turn off hidden Finder files (.DS_store, etc.) for mounts such as card readers (could do it by device type??). It is annoying to have to go into terminal and delete all the .files every time I copy files to my MMC cards. I now copy them directly from terminal but that is not very nice and friendly for most people.

No order really.

Jayem - my Canonscan works really nicely with Classic loaded. I had to tweak classic so that it didn't go to sleep, but after that I was up and running 100%. After I discovered that I haven't had to reboot into 9 once (or turn off my iBook either). It would be nice to have native OS X support though. I did have to buy a new card reader for my MMC though.

Back