OSX Blunder

windsail

Registered
I was "playing" with my old G3 startup choices in the system prefs and restarted using "network disc". I have no network and now can't restart. I'm running OSX Jaguar and have done all the recomended procedures. Restart from system software disc while holding down control-option-shift-delete. No luck, no screen at all. Hold down C key, same thing, no screen at all. I have unhooked all the perifs too, even removed the USB card and wirefire card. Please give some advice. ..........thanks........windsail..........

You mean just the "Option" key? Not the Option-Control-Shift-Delete all the same time. That's the way I was doing it. I can't do it right now I'm online with my G4 and will have to switch the monitor. Will try that in a while......thanks......windsail........

The Del. Comm. Option, Shift is called DOCS. It is used to boot off of the first available firewire drice. However, I guess in you case it is booting off the first drive that contains an OS.
- Try just holding the Shift key (safe boot) if that works, change your settings back the first chance you get.
- Try different system disks if you can.
- By old G3, which one do you mean? The beige tanks or the iMacs?

Potter, Thanks for answering. It's a G3 beige desktop model. 300megs. Gonna' try your idea in a minute...thanks........windsail......

Potter, Still no luck. This machine ran flawlessly for almost seven years and I messed it up in one second.........windsail........

Try resetting the PRAM -- hold down command-option-p-r immediately after starting up or restarting, and keep them held down until the computer "bongs" 3 times.

Hey El, Thanks for the input. Tried that, nope, didn't work. Here''s what happens, when I hit the power button I get the tones, always. Then the monitor green light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out, the monitor screen never lights up. This is what happens with every thing I have tried so far. Something is going on I've never delt with. I've "screwed" my stuff up lots of times but always found a way out of it. Not this time so far.........thanks El.......windsail.......

How long have you left it sitting there? It may be that the computer is just waiting a long time for a response over ethernet or the network, and after it times out (which may take a few minutes), it'll find the correct drive to boot from and you can switch the Startup Disk back to normal.

What version of OS X are you running, and did you use XPostFacto to install OS X?

Hey El, I usually keep the keys down for a minute or more and it doesn't seem to respond. Maybe I should hold longer but I'm not hearing the customary Mac "chatter" from the computer. I'm running Jaguar installed from the disc. I'm not on any network, that was the original mistake I make choosing the network icon. Ethernet, firewire, and USB cards were taken out, someone else suggested that, but it doesn't make any difference. I got into this trouble in the first place trying to network it to my G4. Never could make a connection. After I "fouled" up this time I have even taken the HD out of the G3 and put in in the G4 extra bay thinking I may get it cleared that way. It partially starts up, you know, the little spiral thing on the screen and they just freezes before fininshing. That's on the G4, it seems to "stumble" when it gets to the G3 HD. So I just put it back in the G3 and now I'm stuck. I really think it's something simple I am missing. The G3 has a lot of extra memory added, do you think I should take some of it out and try it that way, hadn't thought of that.......thanks El......windsail.......

Boot to the Mac OS X Install disk #1 and use the drop-down menu
to reset the default startup volume.

Thanks for the input g/re/p. But please read the rest of the thread and you will see it's not quite that simple......thanks.......windsail........

Thanks Bob, Just tried your idea. Same thing, the tones play, the cd starts up, the green light on the monitor comes on for a few seconds and goes out. No screen, nothing else happens. Again, this is a first for me too, I've scrambled this system up pretty badly before but always found a way out. Unfortunately I'm in a very rural area and there is not a mac dealer or service man within a few hundred miles. Please keep thinking about it though and maybe something will shake loose. I have to be away from the desk for a while so will check back.......thanks.......windsail......

See if you can start in Single User Mode.

Hold the Command and S keys down while booting. If it starts that way, run fsck

Type: "fsck -y" (that's fsck-space-minus-y).
Press Return key
The fsck utility will blast some text onto your screen. If there's damage to your disk, you'll see a message that says:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

If you see this message--and this is extremely important-- repeat running fsck. It is normal to have to run fsck more than once -- the first run's repairs often uncover additional problems..

When fsck finally reports that no problems were found, and the # prompt reappears:
Type: "reboot" to restart,
or type "exit" to start up without rebooting.
Press Return.
===========================================

If this doesn't work, try reseting the CUDA chip.

The CUDA button is on the Logic Board, between the edge and PCI slots.

Ok Bob, I'm gonna' try that when I get a few minutes. Sounds challenging to a novice like me but am willing to do it. Do I leave the OSX software disc in while attempting this or leave it out?......thanks much.......windsail.......

Leave the disk out.
When you boot into Single User Mode, you'll just see commands, not the normal desktop.

Just follow the instructions I posted.

Bob, I tried the command and s key, no luck. I have the computer open right now but am not seeing the button you mentioned. This is the desktop model, is it different than the tower model? ......thanks........windsail.......

Back