OSX x86 leaked?

Cat said:
Apple is planning to use EFI, not BIOS. So I doubt OS X/intel will boot on a BIOS "grey box". Likewise, I'm not so sure windows would boot on a Mac/intel. The developer boxes are not representative of the finished product. Windows will not run without some hacking on a Mac/intel and OS X will not run without some hacking on a "grey box".

I think the developer machines are using BIOS since it's a fairly standard motherboard intended for getting something out to developers quickly, but as you mention Apple are going for EFI instead of Open Firmware. There's the expected banter on Slashdot about it; "Why are they using commodity hardware, I'm so disappointed!" / "It's only a dev kit, not a product, don't be stupid" / repeat and so on...

Windows does boot on it though.

Hm. I don't remember that one, but basically: As long as a thread doesn't talk about how/where to _get_ pirated software, it should be fine. Tiger for the Mac being pirated, however, is nothing new at all, and such a thread would not bear much healthy discussion potential.
This thread is different in more than one way, though. The interest of the Mac community (and to some extent the PC community, too) is whether someone gets Tiger/intel to run on plain vanilla computers - and that's what the discussion is really about, it seems to me.

I agree that is how the thread has become, but the first post is just that there are reports that it has been leaked and asking whether or not it is good or bad. Tiger being pirated isn't news, the news was that it was out a weak or two early. My post was like the one here except I showed that it was real by posting the contents of nfo.

The nfo contained nothing illegal, it was just a description of the release.

I then made a topic asking why it was closed, I didn't see anything wrong with the thread, and thought I might have been missing something about the rules here. I then got flamed about that I was promoting piracy by talking about it or something and that thread also got closed.

Are you suggesting i was asking if the leak was any good?

What i was originally asking about is if PC owners got ahold of OSX for their PC if it would help them decide if OSX is better than windows. There was a bit of speculation that the leak may have been intential to woo pc users to OSX.

Now the thread has evolved into talking about the security measures on what hardware it can be installed on.

Im my orignal post i posted a few news stories about it which the mods removed.
If i had posted:

OMG - WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD OSX FOR MY PC???!?!?1111 then the thread could have and should been deleted.

I didn't post any nfo's, torent links or any downloads for it. I guess that's why it stayed.

EDIT
I don't even have a PC for it to run on even if it did exsist.

ablack6596: I can only _guess_ what happened to your thread(s). And from what I hear, my guess is this...

Some moderator saw your thread about Tiger already being pirated. This puts the thread in a difficult position, since we _do_ have a board rule about warez, and we generally simply don't allow talking about it. (There's been a LOT of talking in the past about the whys etc., we do _not_ want to over it in this thread again...)

Such threads have the tendency to attract people who are looking for the item talked about, which ends in questions like the bold one in above post (I know that was demonstrational, of course).

So now when a moderator sees such a thread, the thread's in a grey area. We moderators all have our own ideas, and we usually don't blindly delete threads. Some might come across with a longer, others with a shorter leash. That's normal.

However: Once a moderator has decided that a thread has to go according to board rules - and talking about pirated Tiger copies is certainly within the grey area, and a thread about it could go either way... - and put the thread away, that's done. What we _certainly_ don't like is threads like "Why was my thread deleted?". You can ask a moderator in private messages. You can see who's moderating each forum on the forum homepage - http://macosx.com/forums - and click on a moderator's name. While it could be that you get the wrong mod by doing that, the mods of the forum will talk about the subject and come to a decision - unless it's very clear what happened from the very beginning.
(Posting the nfo probably didn't help the thread either, btw.)

If you have any further questions about it, don't hesitate and use the PM system to contact me. Or E-Mail.

Ok, I mean that's all I really wanted in my second thread. I didn't understand why it was deleted, and my thread to find out why was also deleted. I'm happy to follow the rules of the forum, but when threads are just deleted with no explanation I can't figure out what was wrong with them.

And for the thread starter, I agree. The first post of this thread says that it might have been leaked, that is all my thread said. That's why I was confused as to why my post was so bad that it had to be deleted off the forums.

And I don't see what's wrong with the nfo, they're perfectly legal. They just say that the release is out, but I won't post anymore.

[Use private messaging for this. I've sent you one. Back on topic, please.]

Should apple keep OS X Intel a secret???? hell no

I think apple should do what they did with 10.0 and offer up a public beta. No doubt they can time bomb it, also making it no accept updates etc etc will give it a limited life.

Why would they do this.. well why not! All the mac heads are going to run Tiger on their PPC systems, the developers can run Intel OSX to do their development work and should any Intel users start running it they might get hooked and end up buying a Apple machine when the switch is complete.

Whilst I respect that apple want to keep it limited, I think they should calm down a little. Time bomb the software, restrict updates for it and once they ship a final product (10.5) make sure that no legit apple updates and software will work on beta OSX.

Besides intel OSX has no new features that we are yet to see on a PPC mac!!

Carlo said:
I think apple should do what they did with 10.0 and offer up a public beta. No doubt they can time bomb it, also making it no accept updates etc etc will give it a limited life.

Only to be hacked two hours after it is released to the public. No amount of copy protection is going to help. It will slow down the hackers, but it won't stop the piracy.

Windows XP came with product activation that was supposed to be 'uncrackable' and 'unpiratable'. A crack was released the same day Windows XP shipped. You're deluding yourself if you think you can come up with a copy protection scheme that cannot be broken. If it is in the software, it will be broken. If it in the hardware, it will be bypassed. There are numerous historical precedents for all these happening.

I agree that there is a very good chance of OS X on 86 being cracked, but I think the end result will be shaky. All the unsupported hardware (video cards) and other technology will make running OS X on 86 as much fun as running, well, Windows.

It will be very interesting. There's good arguments to be made from both sides. I think a small amount of OS X leakage running on 86 would be a god thing for Apple. The more OS X gets into the hands of knowledgeable Windows users, the better. However, given that Apple is a hardware company first and foremost, it can't get out of hand. You don't want everybody easily able to get OS X running on a $299 Dell box. Especially since OS X currently is so easy to propagate.

And on the other side, allowing Windows to run on an Intel Mac has been argued both good and bad. I actually think it will mostly be a good thing. It will allow curious Windows users to give OS X a go with Windows as a backup. Also, think of it this way. The core Mac audience are as dedicated as they come. With few exceptions, they aren't going anywhere. Even if a Windows user buys an Intel Mac and only runs Windows on it, the Mac audience hasn't dwindled, and Apple gets a few more bucks to develop the stuff we like.

It will be very interesting to see how all of this shakes out.

mindbend said:
It will be very interesting. There's good arguments to be made from both sides. I think a small amount of OS X leakage running on 86 would be a god thing for Apple. The more OS X gets into the hands of knowledgeable Windows users, the better.
I've never understood this argument -- a small amount of piracy doesn't benefit Apple in the slightest.

Some people argue that a small amount of piracy will let users "test out" the Mac operating system, and they'll hopefully become switchers after that... why would they switch after they've gotten the operating system already? That's just wishful thinking. Anyone smart enough to know how to get a pirated copy of OS X has probably got a lot of pirated software, and won't be likely to start paying for it in the future. The rest of the people don't know where to get pirated software and/or don't want to break the law, and will get their "dose" of Mac OS X in their own due time -- by going down to the local computer store and trying it out. Those that don't live close to a computer store or just don't have the means to try OS X out will just have to bite the bullet and pay for the computer, then return it if it doesn't fit their needs.

Oh, and then there's people who just can't afford a computer and/or software. But that's hardly an excuse for piracy. I can't afford QuarkXPress 6.5 at the moment, so I'm stuck using it at work or finding an alternative. Nothing wrong with that course of action at all.

Why would ANY piracy be good for Apple? Apple doesn't make money off of it, there's only a miniscule chance that the above scenario where someone pirates then buys would happen (not enough to even make a blip on an Apple financial chart), and it's just plain wrong and illegal. It's like people don't wanna commit -- you want a Mac? Buy a Mac. If you are completely dissatisfied with it and cannot get the hang of it and it ate all your data and Windows is so, so, so much easier and more compatible, then Apple will gladly offer you a refund within 2 weeks of the purchase. The only reason left to pirate OS X is because a) you're too cheap to buy it, or b) you're too poor to buy it, or c) you don't give two craps about copyright law or theft protection, don't mind being branded a "thief," and think the way to combat unjust law is to outright ignore the fact that it's there.

It's like saying a small amount of robbery is good for a convenience store... please, someone intelligently, literately and clearly explain why any amount of piracy is good for Apple -- I just think it's either another excuse to try and justify piracy, or another excuse for laziness/inability to find creative ways to fund one's wants.

I could easily explain the piracy argument, but it would be against forum rules. Seriously.

However, I never mentioned piracy. My position includes the possibility that someone legally obtains OS X and somehow gets it to run on an x86 machine.

Now that may or may not be "legal" according to Apple when it's all said and done, but it's a very real possibility.

But as of right now, no x86 copy of Tiger is legal...so it being pirated was a correct assumption made by ElDiablo

I don't think x86 Tiger being leaked would help Apple in ANY way. People would likely use it, and find it terrible because of such limited hardware support, or, people would like it, and pirate it when the final version came out.

It's a lose-lose situation.

I see... I apologize for misinterpreting.

mindbend said:
The more OS X gets into the hands of knowledgeable Windows users, the better. However, given that Apple is a hardware company first and foremost, it can't get out of hand. You don't want everybody easily able to get OS X running on a $299 Dell box.
Pure speculation: OS X gets cracked by someone who owns a non-Apple x86 machine and who legally purchased a retail copy of Mac OS X Intel. They then, legally because Apple took the highly unlikely road of not putting any clauses in their EULA about cracking/reverse-engineering/modifying their code, distribute a tutorial about how to crack OS X for Intel and run it on unsupported hardware. Now, "everybody" is "easily able to get OS X running on a $299 Dell box." Legally. That's 50 million users or more, legally purchasing and cracking OS X, amounting to over $6,000,000,000 in revenue -- completely making up for low hardware sales.

mindbend said:
You don't want everybody easily able to get OS X running on a $299 Dell box. Especially since OS X currently is so easy to propagate.
How is OS X so easily propagated? Sounds like piracy to me.

mindbend said:
I think a small amount of OS X leakage running on 86 would be a god thing for Apple.
What are the reasons that a cracked version of OS X will be good for Apple?

Back