Panther 7B21 (newer Panther builds)

fryke

Staff member
Mod
According to MacRumors.com, developers have access to Panther 7B21. Any further info from someone willing to share the knowledge?

MacRumors.com mentions only 'extensive bugfixes'.

I'm trying to get the images. I am authorized to have them, but I can't get them to download after I log in. Anyone else having this problem? Is it that an over abundance of people are hitting that site now?

Ok, on IE (blah) it says that my access has been denied! Whats up with that?! I was told at WWDC that I'd be included in all seeding!

Hmm... I've always had success with IE (I know, I know), while other browsers didn't work. If your access isn't _really_ denied (meaning you actually _don't_ have access), it could _be_ the problem that too many people are connected. Apple's system is a bit strange in that respect (and always quite slow, at least the web part, not the download itself).

However: If you _do_ have a login that _should_ work for the site, contact Apple. Quite simple.

Originally posted by Go3iverson
I'm trying to get the images. I am authorized to have them, but I can't get them to download after I log in. Anyone else having this problem? Is it that an over abundance of people are hitting that site now?

Access denied CAN mean server is very busy. That happened to me too. I just chose another server (ASIA) and got through. Downloads for me are very slow (1k - 2k). I use StarBand two-way satellite. I usually get 60k to 120k downloads. iGetter says that Disk 1 and Disk 2 will take "more than a day".

Well, I have a paid student membership, which doesn't usually include seeding, but I was assured at WWDC by Apple reps that we would this year for the first time.

This build is on 3 CDs. Wow. Granted CD 3 is only 100 MB of stuff or so, but still.

Its interesting to think how far the Mac OS has come, from booting/installing from a floppy to needing 3 CDs.

rhale1: It's been the same with Jaguar already. "System", "More Apps", "Developer", the last one being the smallest CD. And while it's true that the original Macintosh System could be booted from a floppy (well, must be possible, the thing only _had_ one floppy drive!), I don't think you can see Mac OS X as an evolution of the original Macintosh OS code wise. And Mac OS 9 can still be put on a ... Zip Disk. ;)

When I say 3 CDs, I'm not talking about the Developer Tools. There is a Mac OS X Install CD 1, 2, and 3, the last one only being 90 MB or so.

I realize that Mac OS X is a new thing (I'm not new to the Mac anyway), it is just exciting at how much systems in general have evolved over time, space needed, installation media, etc.

On a different note, the Installer for Mac OS X has gotten some changes:
1) Panther-esque 'X" background
2) The Side Panel (left side, showing the steps) font now looks different (Myriad prehaps, or Gill Sans)
3) Installer tells what discs are needed right off the bat
4) Customization panel UI has been changed some

Also, a lot of bugs have been fixed, and some minor, but noticable UI tweaks have been done (I've seen it in System Prefs: the rows in "View All" alternate (light gray, dark gray, etc.; the lock button now animates and is in color; some prefPanes more refined, like the Accounts Limitations tab actually having content now.)

When an application crashes it also asks if you would like to send a bug report to Apple. Nice touch.

Mac OS X 10.3 7B21 Seeded

As for what’s changed, it’s best summed-up by Apple’s seed note:

“This release reflects extensive engineering efforts since the WWDC, with issued [sic] addressed in almost every component of the OS. The extent of the bug fixes limits our ability to communicate each of them here. Please test your applications against this build to verify previously reported bugs, and also refer to the on-line bug reporter for some status changes.”

I've got the WWDC version of Panther installed and working great with all my apps.

Any idea if 7B21 will upgrade the previous? If not, can anyone offer some 'best practices' for moving from one OS version to another (preferably, without having to re-install/re-configure everything)?

Thanks
MP

Well if you'd like to do a clean install, the only things you need to back up is you Preferences folder, PreferencePanes, Applications folder, and your Desktop.

Disc 3 installs X11 User, Additional Fonts, and Additional Speech Voices. Only 90 MB of stuff or so.

rhale1, your from Evanston? I just moved to Buffalo Grove! Nice!

Anyone on here that has the DMG's and a fast connection feel like shooting them over to me? I got 430mb into disk 1 today *finally* and then it was time to go on home! D'oh!

Back