Panther 7B21 (newer Panther builds)

Originally posted by vrapan
Anyone knows where the SystemIcons.rsrc has gone or where the system icons are? thanks a lot

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources

I ran into the no-networking problem in 7B21 after the first reboot. It seems that 7B21 installs a symbolic link pointing to itself in place of the SystemConfiguration prefs file. To work around this (without re-installing your system!), do the following:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

sudo touch /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Hope this is helpful.

--Mark

I think I have the biggest bug of all! At least one that makes the whole thing unusable for me.

I just got a new vid card(Geforce2 MX) for my G4 400. It's a PC one, but in 10.2.6 and 9.2.2(after installing drivers) it works without any problems.

I did an upgrade of my WWDC build so that might be the problem.

So when I start up Panther, it's at 1024x768x60 and it's quite flickery. I can't change the refresh rate in the system preferences because when I select a new res/refresh the screen goes black. It says it might go black for 15 seconds and then after that to press the return key. But when I do that, it still stays black.

The cd tray eject button doesn't work on my keyboard at this point so I'm pretty sure Panther has crashed.

I'm going to try a clean install of Panther, and hopfully it's not my new vid card.

Does anyone know exactly what 'extra apps' are contained on disc 2? I am thinking about installing Panther with just disc 1 but want to make sure what I'm going to miss from disc 2...Thanks.

Well, install only CD1... then, if you miss something... just add it... why not?

It is so nice the way it is... :D

Mostly things like iTunes, iMovie, etc.

I can't be sure, but I think disk 2 is needed for the full use of OS X Panther, as Jaguar's apps will either run, crash, or not run at all.

Originally posted by cybergoober
Yeah, I copied my com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist and com.apple.iChat.plist files from my Jag partition and that seemed to fix it.

Ohh man...I had to do an erase and install to get 7B21 working. And I can't copy the plist file from my Jag partition because there is none. Is there a workaround? Maybe looking in the prefs file for something to toggle off or something?

Just a couple of Panther try-outs:
1) Does the app-open-effect take place when you open an application from the dock?

2) If you set the icon size to max for a folder and then open a document from that folder is there still an app-open-effect? or is it always just zooming in to max, so if you already are on max there will be no FX?

Thanks!

1) No.
2) If you zoom, yes, I think. It just keeps getting bigger.

PS, I'm back on Jag now. I heard all this crap about Panther and iPods, and I'm getting one this weekend, so I figure "Why risk it?"
I'll reinstall Panther once I've got everything on my iPod. hehe

Hey everybody,

Has anyone used Panther on a G4/400? I have a stock Sawtooth/400, Rage128Pro, 700-odd meg RAM.. Will Panther run decently on this rig, you think?

you won't get any QuartzExtreme effects, just like in Jaguar, and might want to replace the graphics card. you should be able to get a geForce 2 MX (or 4 MX) at a decent price somewhere, and it'll dramatically improve the look & feel of OS X, especially Panther, on that machine.

Originally posted by Go3iverson
Anyone have any luck having this kitty authenticate to a W2K server with Active Directory?

Panther won't support Active Directory client processes (MS CLDAP, MD5 Kerb, etc), so it can't join as an AD-native member. It will, however, be able to be added as an NT4-style member (which is also something you can do for Win2k systems, as well). You won't be able to do the nifty (some think it's nifty) management, GPO, and other things, but the system will join the domain and be able to authenticate, etc.

Rip

Back