Panther Bugs and Incompatibilities (Post here)

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
For those of you have the official Panther now ...

What bugs have you find there? What incompatibilities? Which programs don't run properly? What seems just not to be working right? Post here. ::angel::

On Powerbook G4/400MHz, "c" key stiks. Doesn't type a c unless it's held down. No other problems so far.

I just installed Panther on my 17in Powerbook. It went well. Took about 40 minutes. I have one error on startup. I get the following:
The Application Transport Monitor could not be launched because of a shared library error.
"<Transport Monitor><Transport Monitor> <Hot SyncLib.PPC> <>"
I think it is my Palm software. I haven't tried to Hot Sync yet. I may have to find some updated software from Palm.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. It does not seem to cause any other problems.

This is from MacFixIt yesterday;

Palm confirms that Desktop Software 4.1 problem We previously reportedproblems with the installation of Palm's Desktop Software 4.1 under Mac OS X 10.2.8. Now MacFixIt reader Kate has confirmed with Palm technical support that the software will have problems Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) as well:

"The Palm Desktop software is not currently compatible with the Mac OS 10.3. Palm Engineers are aware of this issue and are working on an upgrade. Currently, there is no fix available for the issue, I suggest you to keep checking the following Palm web site for updates: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/"

UPDATE: Joshua Ochs reports a workaround for problems using HotSync, which are apparently the root of the incompatibility statement from Palm.

""It appears that the Palm Desktop installer is choking on installing the HotSync libraries. It further appears these can be copied over from Jaguar (or, if you're upgrading, then they'll already be in place). The critical files are in /Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync and /Library/CFMSupport/Hotsync Libraries.

"I have not verified that a Hotsync will actually take place (as I have not finished upgrading), but this does resolve the problem of Hotsync Manager and others not launching with shared library errors.

Some readers have reported no problems running HotSync from a fresh installation of the Palm Desktop 4.1 software.

The drawer in Poisoned went weird yesterday. It went a quarter of the screen too far to the left, leaving a huge gap between itself and the app main window and there was no clicking it...

I had a similar problem with Finder, I was dragging the cursor, and a file outside of the highlighted area was marked.

Warcraft 3 seems sluggish, more than with Jaguar at any rate.

Also, overall speed seems lowered. Disappointing, after 2 versions both raising the speed.

Exposé is cool thou :)

bobw said:
On Powerbook G4/400MHz, "c" key stiks. Doesn't type a c unless it's held down. No other problems so far.

Bob, I have that same PowerbookG4/400MHz and I don't see that problem. I hope that helps. Good luck.

By the way, I repaired Permissions with Disk Utility and it fixed a lot of problems. I was really surprised.

I recently installed an Nvidia GE Force4 MX 32MB video card prior to installing Panther. I have an AGP G4 tower with Viewsonic G810 monitor. Everything was working fine including switching to the highest resolutions possible. Once I installed Panther (last night) my screen goes black after trying to boot up. I get the initial gray screen with the Apple logo and spinning symbol but as soon as it switches to the blue screen the monitor goes black. I have found that I can boot fine in safe mode including switching resolutions.

Check pins, connectors, cables; all appear to be fine. Even tried using a different adapter to connect the standard VGA to DVI. It works fine when I switch back to the original OEM ATI card under Panther. The new Nvidia card appears to only work fine under Panther in Safe Mode. I didn't have this problem at all with Jaguar. From install to boot it worked with numerous restarts and resolution changes.

I have zapped the PRAM and even removed the PRAM battery.

Any tips would be great!

The Finder will take about 50% of my processor after I open a finder window. If I close the window, it continues to take the processor's time. If I 'killall Finder' all returns to 0% processor use.

iTerm said:
ps auwx | grep Finder
... 70.9 2.1 ... /System...Finder

Edited to add: Fixed!

First I trashed the prefs for Finder to get back to basics. Then I found a few situations where finder didn't flip out. One of the situations where it did flip is in the homedir for my primary user.

I did a little bit of experimentation and found that one of those DSC (digital camera) JPEGs was the culprit in combination with the 'Show item details' on the Cmd-J (view prefs) screen.

When I try to open a Chat window in iChat AV it keeps crashing. I keep getting permission denied in fink for /sw/bin/init.sh even in root. I cant encrypt my home folder it says it can't be mounted.

iBook 500mhz G3 640MB 20GB 10.3

Hmm...
GamepadCompanion does not work with Panther (at least in my experience). Also, the iChat AV icon in the menu bar no longer seems to work. It does not tell if I am logged in, or who is online... in fact, I cannot get log in from it. (Anybody else experience this?)

I have a Pretec iDisk tiny - one of those keyring flash drives. It needed a patch to run on 10.2.x, and doesn't work on 10.3 - the patch won't install either. Am sure that pretec will release a patch soon! Their support email form doesn't appear to be responding at the moment...

so far all is well with Panther, had to update my ASM menu. The old one killed the dock and it would not let the computer shut down.

Printer setup utility wont add hp 5550 printer
keeps crashing? any others with this problem any suggestions?

What about the VPN client? Is it working? Cause in "developer" 85 of mine and on the same hardware it wasn't working! :mad:

I have a G4 Quicksilver 733 and was running 10.1.5 before installing Panther. I was looking forward to finally use my modem to send faxes but when I want to send a fax out of Word (the only application that I tried to do this with so far), I and all the other logged in users get logged out and the loggin window shows up.

iChat seems to be only compatible with AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) in regard of text chatting. Steve Jobs mentioned that video chats would not work (for now) but he didn't mention that audio chats wouldn't be compatible between the two systems either. I hope that iChatAV and AIM will soon be AV compatible!

Acrobat Reader, iMovie 3 and Stuffit Expander were deleted when I upgraded to Panther, so I had to reinstall them. This may have had to do with the fact that a message popped up during the installation of disk 2 telling me that the installation of additional programs was not successful.

If you use NetBarrier as a firewall, be aware that it won't run with Panther unless you upgrade to NetBarrier X3. Costs: $ 40.

The 'A' key of my ibook G3 700MHz stopped working After A cleAn instAll of OSX 10.3. At leAst the upper cAse 'A' (shift+A) does work, so I believe fAulty ibook keyboArd isn't the reAson...

It might be helpful in analyzing bugs to note whether or not a pre-release version of Panther had been installed on the problem machine.

firstly, regarding the "A" issue - it was found that an app called "Synergy" was causing the letter a to appear in uppercase only. remove or update the app to get your a back.

for the letter "C", there are reports that a program called "CopyPasteX" causes the C not to work. remove app to get c back.

goodluck people.

Back