Panther Bugs and Incompatibilities (Post here)

j79 said:
firstly, regarding the "A" issue - it was found that an app called "Synergy" was causing the letter a to appear in uppercase only. remove or update the app to get your a back.

for the letter "C", there are reports that a program called "CopyPasteX" causes the C not to work. remove app to get c back.

goodluck people.

Thanks, I already found the source of this problem this morning. I am going to download the new (fixed) version of synergy ASAP.

---------

One hint:

If panther doesn't detect OS9 machines (shares) which are connected to a local network , simply check the 'clients connect through tpc/ip' checkbox in the "file sharing" control field at the concerning OS9 machines. BTW, you have to wait a moment until the computers apear in panther's network window.
Worked for me...

akeel6 said:
Printer setup utility wont add hp 5550 printer
keeps crashing? any others with this problem any suggestions?

Delete the printer from Print Centre and then add it on again. This should solve the problem.

The only system level bug I have encountered is the fact that on my iBook 700mhz G3 I can't set the trackpad speed to the 2nd bar from the fastest setting. If i do this and close out system preferences pane it then resets itself back to the 3rd bar from the fastest...though i can set it at anything else and the setting stays. Just sorta wierd...not a big deal at all though...has anyone else seen this happening?

I had the ASM problem but thats fixed now. Getting some bizzare file type/creator problems with Pagemaker files (yes we still use it now and again ;)). Anyway when trying to use the PM files from our archive they would loose their icons and would turn into a 'Unix Executable File' – see attached.

Also when trying to use PM (6.0 and 6.5) in classic mode it would quit everything and log me out to the login screen. But so far so good very impressed, love Expose and fast user switching, just had to create a user to see it in action.

Cheers

eric

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 22
my keychain is all screwy, it keeps wanting me to reset to default keychain, so i put in my password and thats it. nothing changes at all and my passwords can't be stored because i have to keychain, even after making a new one, how can i fix this

Has anybody noticed that panther's smb 'networking' doesn't work, at least it doesn't work as well as as advertised. Honestly I feared its not gonning to work that well , that day Steve announced "Its going to autotetect your network!!1!". Windows capability to autodetect network shares isn't that great, now problems were 'carried over' in the mac osx world. First, it takes to long until my network is detected. Granted, it works right out of the box after a restart, but after disconnecting, conneting to annother network or just a disconnect (pull the plug the of network cable out and back in) panther struggles to find my network shares. Its awfull.
"Hm", I thought "its not going to work the new way, maybe my friend, the connect to server menu will be the sollution." I know the ip of my computers, I know the network shares and voila a dialoxe box comes up with a list of my shares. Select one, hit the ok button funny little striped loading bar appears, vanishes nothing happened, nothing is mounted on my desktop. It seems panther needs to list the shares you want to mount, in the network window first, before anthing happens. Sorry to say that, it's pretty much messed up. And restarting the comp after every network change isn't really a sollution (at least not a mac one)
Now just transfering some files before going to work has become hazzle in OSX 10.3.
Sure, my network worked before in 10.2. and no I didn't changed anthing at all.

Here's a short list incompatibilities and problems I have come across in 7B85:

- the .zip files created with the Finder's "Create Archive" function seem to be some exotic ZIP variation: StuffIt Expander 7.0.3 just crashes, when I try to expand them. Version 8.0 on my brother's 10.2.8 tells him that he has a corrupt file when he tries to expand it. My main problem with this is that StuffIt Expander is the most widely used decompression application on Mac. (Since we're on that subject already I'd like to make a complaint about Aladdin's DropZip: It's files aren't compatible with WinZip. This leads me to the question: What the *^%$ is wrong with ZIP that every company seems to create their own flavour of ZIP-compression???)

- Eudora 5.2.1 is virtually unusable: Every time I select it I have to wait for ~30 seconds until it responds. Even selecting a different email in my inbox takes that long sometimes. I can't figure out what's the problem there. Immediately after I installed Panther it didn't seem so bad but the problem has become more grave this week.

- "locate" doesn't work anymore in the Terminal. I get an error message "locate: no database file /var/db/locate.database". Don't know how to fix that...

I'm pretty sure the Eudora problem can be fixed with an update (I just haven't dared to install v. 6 yet because Eudora updated can be quite messy on your mailboxes (at least the v. 4 -> v. 5 update was).
I'm not very optimistic with the ZIP archive problem since the incompatibilities there seem to reflect a general problem in the field of compression formats :rolleyes:

- "locate" doesn't work anymore in the Terminal. I get an error message "locate: no database file /var/db/locate.database". Don't know how to fix that...

You must've did a clean install. The database is made when the weekly cron script runs, but you can manually make it update by typing sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb - it'll take a few seconds to do it, but you'll get your database back after that. :)

I have a problem with my UMAX Astra scanner, I use Vuescan to drive the scanner and it was working fine on 10.2.8 but now with Panther the Scanner starts up but then abruptly stops and produces no output. I have downloaded the newest version but even that did not help. I have e-mailed Hamrick support with this problem.

Eudora 6.0 updates 5.x with no problems and runs fine. Junk mail filter is great.

Julian Miller, author of CopyPaste, confirmed to me that CopyPaste 1.6 is the culprit in breaking the "c" in Panther. He tells me that he is working with Apple on the problem and will let CopyPaste users know when there is a fix. Disabling CopyPaste in login items fixes the problem.

bobw said:
On Powerbook G4/400MHz, "c" key stiks. Doesn't type a c unless it's held down. No other problems so far.

Thanks Darkshadow and bobw :) !

I upgraded to Eudora 6 today and the transition went as smooth as it's supposed to. Can't comment on the new spam filter functionality yet since I haven't received any spam in the past 5 hours (looks like a record time to me!).

I also updated the locate DB (it took a little longer than a few seconds on my full 60GB HD though) and this fixed the locate problem as well.

Remains my annoyance with Apple's ZIP format. Guess I'll still have to continue using ZipIt, which has been the most reliable application for this purpose in the past. It's not that I don't like it but Apple's Finder integration would be so much more convenient and efficient (and I don't really like Aladdin's approach to Finder integration).

I'm sure I'll come up with more problems...

A buddy of mine has come across a weird problem today: iChat (AV v.2) started acting really weird on his PowerBook on 10.3: He can audio chat with people but not text chat. He's tried it all: All new clean Panther installation, manual "seek and destroy" of any iChat files in /Library, ~/Library and other places but no luck whatsoever, the problem persists. Maybe I should also note that he has a .mac account. Has anyone here experienced (or heard of) a similar problem?

Bob Carr

Thanks for the info on CopyPaste. I use that on both my machines. Doesn't affect the desktop, just the C key on the Powerbook.

I've noticed that the SMB doesn't work very well at all, at least the connect to servers seemed to work pretty well in 10.2...blah. When i restart it seems to find my network fine...then if it sleeps, it's gone...if i log off and log back in it sometimes comes back...lol...maybe it might be fixed in Os 11.8.2.4...but i don't see a quick fix for this problem, heh.

have a similar problem with my airport signal, Total Konfuzion. After sleep mode and wake up, I sometimes lose my airport signal. After logging off and back it's working again. Weird, huh?

I have the same problem. In Jaguar when I went to the connect to servers every node mac, pc and unix box was displayed. Now in Panther I get nothing. I hit the browse button and nothing happens. I checked my network settings everything seems to be working. This was one feature my PC brethern really liked.

callieX said:
I have the same problem. In Jaguar when I went to the connect to servers every node mac, pc and unix box was displayed. Now in Panther I get nothing. I hit the browse button and nothing happens. I checked my network settings everything seems to be working. This was one feature my PC brethern really liked.

My connection doesn't seem to dissapear at all....it's there, i can surf the web, just not browse my internal windows network. It's too wierd....I'll turn off the airport and plug in an ethernet cable and i can see the networked computers, then i turn on the airport and it's working again. Sometimes it just seems to "take it's time" and the network reappears when it feels like it, which isn't when i want it to, heh. It shall be fixed(hopefully), i'm sure...that along with the trackpad speed problem. I'm just glad i'm not the only one with this problem, heh.

I can also confirm network browsing is totally useless. It did work when I first installed, but I don't see anything now, neither the AFP server or my PC.

Quite pleased with everything else though - just the speed increases well worth the upgrade.

Apple - fix the network so I can actually use it!

callieX said:
I just installed Panther on my 17in Powerbook. It went well. Took about 40 minutes. I have one error on startup. I get the following:
The Application Transport Monitor could not be launched because of a shared library error.
"<Transport Monitor><Transport Monitor> <Hot SyncLib.PPC> <>"
I think it is my Palm software. I haven't tried to Hot Sync yet. I may have to find some updated software from Palm.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. It does not seem to cause any other problems.

I had the same problem. I am at work and cannot remember the folder but if you drag the hotsynclib.ppc from the previus system folder to the current system you can fix it. You can email me at rongor@comcast.net and I'll get you the exact folder and file

Ron Goren

Back