Planning to buy my first Apple/Mac Computer

Well the new iMacs ARE intel, so i dunno, but what do I know? I don't even own one, and all this talk is confusing me even more, but it seames, that whatever happens is behind the scenes. well for the emulator. but eh i dunno!! AHH hehe.

I have been looking on apple.com a lot at the 20" Intel iMacs and I think I know the system I am going to buy this:
20-inch
2GHz Intel Core Duo
I am going to be using it mainly for Photoshop so I am going to either start off with the full 2GBs of DDR2 SDRAM or have just the 1GB DDR2 SDRAM and upgrade to two later. I am going to try my best to start off with two. (is two as big as you can go?)
As for the Hard Drive ... I think 250GBs would be big enough but if I start doing video editing I might want to 500GB ... So I might upgrade that too, depending on my money situation. Any suggestions there? I could always just buy an external hard drive.
As for the Graphics Memory Card for the small $68 dollar upgrade I might as well, I might play some 3D games, and a guy at Apple said it would help render time within Photoshop, so I think I'll upgrade that to the 256mb.
I have no need for the modem
I have no need for any of that Apple Software
I want to have as little cords as possible le so for the $54 dollars I am going to get the Wireless keyboard and mouse (are they mighty mouse?)
And I am def getting the Apple Care Protection Plan.

Is there anything else I should add-on or de-add on?
I think I am starting to get a good grip as to what I want.

Looks good - but I am quite sure that only the PowerMac can go up to 500 GB HD. Dont think the iMac can.
Ferdinand

PS: Yeah, the wireless mouse is a normal mouse, but you can choose that its the Mighty Mouse. But no extra costs, so with ot without Mighty-Mouse, the price stays the same.

Personally, at this point I would go for the Intel Macs (iMac preferably..while mine is the iMac G5, the one before the iMac G5 iSight model, and while it's not an Intel iMac I love it just as much). While the Power Mac is there, it's replacement is eminent. The supposed "Mac Pro" (so far that's what the name might end up being for the Power Mac replacement) should have the Intel Core 2 Duo (aka "Conroe") as the CPU. As to when it's going to be released, I'm not quite sure but it's something to consider.

But if you need a Mac now, iMac is the way to go.

I bought my iMac today! :) Got a iPod Video 30gb with it, and a scanner. I got it all up and running and WOW I love it. I just need to learn what comes with it. I've never used a Mac for personal use, so figuring this all out is a bit differnet then a PC. If anyone has any help or tips for me please reply! I'm so happy to finally have my 20" iMac intel Core Duo, I've been waiting over a yaer!

hey man,
I'm currently selling my Imac g5, It is a superb machine and still as powerful as the day i got it. i run photoshop and quark and illustrator without a problem but because i run a magazine between liverpool and manchester i need something more portable ie the mac book, it's going at a great price if your interested, let me know and i'll send you the specifics
cheers
sam

Note: I just joined the site and looked around for a forum to fit this need, and I was debating between this and hardware, but this is a little off topic, so I thought here would be best, if you want to move this feel free.

So hey macosx! I feel weird being on this site using a PC, is that against the rules? hehe I'm half kidding ... is it?

Anyway for a good majority of my life I have been very anti Apple/Mac computers. I actually have said on a few occasions I HATE MACS! But then I started to go to college for Photography, and BOY was I wrong. Macs for graphic work and video work is the only way to go.

I have always been a Sony type guy, I've had Sony Vaio Laptops and Desktops. About a year ago I had a Vaio Desktop that was made for video editing (had a built in TV tuner/graphics card ugh I miss it) but we had a flood in our basement at my house SIX FEET of WATER ... it sucked, so I bought a Vaio Laptop. This was right when I started college, and had only used the iMacs at our school for about a week. I was thinking about getting a Mac .. but thought eh kind of a bad idea because I didn't know much about them. After almost a year of using them in class, I WANT A MAC SOO BAD. For about 1/2 a year I have made my Windows XP look like Mac OS X, but it really slowed my computer down.

I just reformatted my computer, and it's back to normal (non-Mac style). It's depressing. I miss the object bar, and other things, and besides it really wasn't a Mac, so now I am in the market for an Apple computer.

I already have my Vaio Laptop so I don't think a apple laptop is my way to go, but I don't know if I should get a iMac or a Power Mac or even the Mac mini. I don't really know too much about buying Macs. The main thing I would be running on it would be Photoshop, and I HATE how my laptop is always so slow at loading images, and editing large files from my Digital SLR.

So what would you recommend? What are the differences in the Macs? Oh and what's the difference between Mac OS X Tiger, and Mac OS X Panther, and Mac OS X Safari? I am clueless as to which to buy.

One last thing, Is it possible to watch tv/vcr/ect (you know TV tuner/Red Yellow White cables into the computer, and record onto a Mac?) I also do video editing.

Thanks for any information you reply with. Sorry for being so new.

- speXedy

jesus, sorry viro
didn't catch the date and hoped we might be able to help each other,
i apologise if i've upset you, not generally a forum kind a life form
peace and understanding
asam

jesus, sorry viro
peace and understanding
asam

Don't worry....it happens quite often and you're not the only one, but be open to some good-natured ribbing from those of us that do notice! ;)

That being said, you are hereby now and forever a necroposter! :p

jesus, sorry viro
peace and understanding
asam

I'm not upset. I was merely ... uhm ... perplexed by why you were trying to sell an iMac to someone who bought one over a year ago. I've heard of hard sells, but this is ridiculous :D.

What have I done to offend you?
I joined this site so that I could sell or trade my mac for a more suitable model.
I thought it would save me the hassle of dealing with fraudsters and con-men on ebay, but now I face a far greater foe, more irritating even than Nicole Richie, it is the familiar forum fiend...More concerned with the migre happenings of a cyber based network than that of real life itself.
A man so disconnected from true life he has to spend his time picking at insignificant movements in forums that ultimately have no consequence on anything improtant.
I do not even no yet what I have done wrong and already I have had complaints off two of you squibbling cy-babies.
This is not my territory, I use computers as a tool to create things of beauty not to add to the atogonising rituals and protocols of day to day monotony.
I suggest you get out into the real world and interact with real people before it is too late for you.
If there is any balanced users out there who understand that the computer and these forums are not the most important thing in life but have a grasp of where I may have put a foot wrong let me know so as I can try and prevent it from happening in the future.
Thankyou for yours ears
I am sorry it had to come to this
If anyone is interested in buying the imac g5 let me know,
If you however you just have something insignificant to pick at in the way I that I have used this site then please keep it to yourself.
Sam

Sam, I think you're taking this a little TOO seriously. As I mentioned, it happens. I think you're the first to really make a mountain out of this molehill.

For the record, I am married and have been so for almost 8 years. I have three children that i spend my time with and I get along very well with the majority of my coworkers (hey, you can't please everyone, you know). I also have good friends that I like to get together with....in MEATspace, not just online....and we hang out and do stuff together. So to put all of us here under that same stereotype does your argument no justice at all.

It was a simple mistake, one that many have done in the past. Don't take it so seriously...we were all just kidding around...that's what we do around here (or in any forum for that matter). No one insulted you in any way, shape, or form, and the responses DO have emoticons to denote that we were just kidding. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sorry if my response insulted you. We were just having some friendly fun....have fun with us. :)

but now I face a far greater foe, more irritating even than Nicole Richie, it is the familiar forum fiend

*sigh*

You ask someone a question and you become a forum fiend. Anyway, I'm sure you took what we wrote the wrong way because you're having a bad day at work. No need to go insulting everyone on the forums (ironically, by being a forum fiend yourself). Hope your day goes better and you come back in a better mood.

Back