Policy on Warez, Serialz, and P2P Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

edX

mac shaman
people who come here to request warez help will be banned immediately with no warnings. in the past warnings have been issued to give some people the benefit of the doubt. no more.

so DO NOT post asking for serial numbers, shared software or anything like this. do not ask what the best p2p app is nor where to get a good spam client.

Hmmmm, who is judging about it? I mean, recently I had a discussion with one moderator, if asking for a way to not use the CD for the game play is warez or not..
Also had a discussion with one that had probs to send a mail to many recipients. It doesn't necessarily mean spaming, but it could be...

the moderators and admins will be the judges of this, just as we are the judges of all the rule infractions on this site. asking a mod before you post if you're not sure is a good idea. but this is not a response to the many gray areas we encounter from time to time. this is a response to a rash of people showing up here and asking for warez in their first few posts.

I'd make this a sticky on the other threads as many people don't come read this first off, especially new posters. And if there are any switchers, or Windows folks, talk of warez seems to be a little more common. Banning someone for talking of it is fine by my book, but I would think it a good policy to warn people as much as possible as well.

there is an announcement in every forum. this is the only thread open for replies though. as for whether or not a new member bothers to read these or even the site rules before posting, is up to them. ignorance is not a defense. even in the windows world there are sites that do not allow such activity. so being a switcher and being 'unaware' is not an excuse.

If vBulletin lets you do this, I propose you automatically send a PM to new members with all those stickies' instructions in it.

I think Yahoo! Mail does this - you create an account, and automaticall receive a Yahoo! mail telling you you'll get kicked out if you use your address to spam.

no, but acquiring warez is about all they're used for. hence, we don't allow p2p discussion. like it or not, those are our rules at this site.

toast said:
If vBulletin lets you do this, I propose you automatically send a PM to new members with all those stickies' instructions in it.

I think Yahoo! Mail does this - you create an account, and automaticall receive a Yahoo! mail telling you you'll get kicked out if you use your address to spam.
Along these lines, you could enable email confirmation for new members, which requires people to click a link in an email they get after they register... I'm sure you've all seen them before. Unless you've changed it since I registered, this site doesn't require them; you could use this as a way to tell people some of the rules before they can even post.

Just a thought. ::love::

I wonder whether those banned are permanently axed (e-mail blocked) or are the just de-registered. Perhaps if they are de-registered with a clear note about what the rules are and an invitation to re-register under the pain of permanent banishment for future violations they may become productive members. If they become involved in the values of the board, they may learn to turn from their dark ways.

there are different ways of blocking, pds. general ignore, limited time out, .. banning .. thre is no way for two members using (even if one is gone) the same email. and sometims even the ip banning can be considered. (don't worry too much about the technical details).

edX said:
so DO NOT post asking for serial numbers, shared software or anything like this. do not ask what the best p2p app is nor where to get a good spam client.

Would that apply to asking where the serial number can be found within the product documents? For example, would someone posting to know where they can find VPC serial code within the stuff taht came with that package get in truble?

Trillian - no, that would be a perfectly legitimate question. some developers are making it more difficult to track down. with my just delivered Techtool pro, i had to go all the way back to the drive 10 manual they sent me when i ordered the double upgrade last summer to find the serial number.

The rules are fair to me but the whole P2P thing is overkill. I posted a question a few weeks back asking how to get my Limewire playlist working in iTunes because it no longer sorted songs in the order they were downloaded. My post got banned and that was a legit question I feel.

Well, your post got banned because we don't 'support' Limewire etc. I have yet to find a user of Limewire who actually only downloads 'free' music legally and wants to integrate it with iTunes.

Overkill or not, these are our rules. No discussion/questions about P2P software.

Bob, you are banned! :D ;)
I think we have to distinguish between those filesharing tools and p2p. There are a lot of messengers connecting peer-to-peer, right? And arent there network solutions for companies that are based on p2p too? I understood our rules as forbidding any illegal activities. And that's why I think Fryke is right when he says we don't support certain p2p-tools. But I wouldn't generalise it to any p2p software..
Out of curiousity: what happened to octane?

Zammy

You're wasting your time on this subject. P2P programs, discussions about them, where to get them, are banned on this site.

Octane who :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back