Post your OS X.1 Desktop Pics!!!!

I usually make my own icons... when I'm bored.

the apps I use are graphic converter, iconographer, and iconcomposer. iconcomposer isn't really necessary, but I use it because I'm lazy.

I grab some pic for icon (I'm not an artist... :( ) from web, then edit whatever needs to be edited in graphic converter (sometimes photoshop, too), copy whatever needs to be copied, and paste it in iconographer, then I make the mask in graphic converter, and paste it in iconographer again. I usually do only 128x128 in iconographer.

I then open the saved file in iconcomposer and just do drag and drop for the smaller ones. You can prolly do this in iconcomposer, too, but iconcomposer will make the mask for you, and I usually make icons to be viewed in dock, so I don't really care about smaller ones.

I made a few icons to be used in snax's toolbar and it uses 32x32. I got a much better result by resizing the picture to 32x32 in graphic converter and making icons and masks from them than letting iconcomposer do the resizing from larger elements (or whatever you call it). So if you use icon view in Finder, you might want to make all the elements yourself.

you can control the transparency of the icons by using white or gray in mask. If you need to make bunch of holes, just leave that part of the mask white. If you want some kinda transparency, you can use gray. the darker the gray, the greater the opacity... the problem with icons that are somewhat transparent is that they could look shitty depending on your background...

my guess is that there are better examples in icon packs elsewhere... but I decided to attach 2 icons, dunno maybe you can get some ideas... one is a lightbulb, which is kinda transparent. The other is gears... the metallic part is opaque, but they have bunch of hole which are completely transparent. they are both .icns file (you can view them in iconographer, which I think is the best icon creation tool for now) with no resource fork (or whatever you call it), so if you want to see how they look in dock, you gotta do some work... I guess the easiest way is to use icns2rsrc, open the .icns file and make .rsrc file.. then you can put the file on the right side of the dock...

not much going on at 6am... thus rather long post...

Attachments

• icons.zip
    54.8 KB · Views: 136
Just for kicks, here's mine... I'm anal rententive, and that explains the uncluttered, immaculate look I'm going for on my desktop. I just can't seem to get any work done if there's files laying around, windows open that I don't need, etc... you should SEE the organization of my hard drives... no, I take that back. You shouldn't. You'd shoot me.

At any rate, I usually run 1024x768 on a 17" monitor, but for size, I scaled these back to 832x624. Have a look-see...

P.S. - This is the desktop picture of the week. I get bored with them easily and change them almost weekly...

Attachments

• eldiabloconquesodesktop.jpg
    eldiabloconquesodesktop.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 569
I have been doing some fun stuff to my OS, I will post and Highlight the freakyness when I am done :)

A very nice riverside cafe near DeMotte, IN. I liked the food and the view.

Clay

XDesktop.jpg

You guys have always wondered what a "real" OS 10 desktop should look like, well here it is...Log on to have a chat if u want...(you understand when u see the pic :eek:

Attachments

• outsider.jpg
    outsider.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 434
here's mine. the audion icon in the dock is pasted over itunes, which i like better but has a crappy icon. mine also makes use of desktopcalendar, which is way too hard to customize but quite useful. desktop pic is from www.bang-olufsen.com, under the 'downloads' section.

Attachments

• fabulous.jpg
    fabulous.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 376
Back