Powerbook G4... How can I restore it?

Greg_Reez

Registered
A client of ours left their Powerbook G4 here after deciding they did not want to fix the bad hard drive, and after holding it here for some time, they apparently want us to now get rid of it. It's been sitting here for sometime since then, and I'm the only one around who cares to adopt it.

What exactly can I make of this thing? Our tech has let me know that it needs:

1) A power cord
2) An OS reinstallation (I have no CDs whatsoever)
3) More memory (I can get this)
4) Hard Drive (I can get this)
5) An overall anti-freakin-bacterial cleaning

Where is a good place to start with buying what I need?

What speed is the PowerBook G4? Is it an older, 400 or 500MHz model, or a newer, 1 GHz or faster? How much RAM does it already have?

You can get a power cord from a place like this:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Powerbook-G4-Aluminum-Power-Adapters-p-1-c-380.html

If the system is relatively speedy, then I'd go all out with Leopard, which can be ordered direct from Apple's online store. If it's an older, slower model, Tiger may suit it better -- you'll have to scrounge on eBay, Craigslist, or perhaps some online Mac stores (Powermax.com, baucomcomputers.com, etc.) may carry it. Be sure you get retail disks of Tiger -- not the gray-colored, system-specific CDs/DVDs.

Hmmm.... can't tell the specs... No power cord, and it's been out of battery for about 2 months. Is there any other way to tell what the specs are?

Also, can I even get leopard to install on an older laptop like this?

Thanks for the reply

The serial and/or model number (maybe on the bottom? Inside the batter compartment?) can give you clues about what the original specs of the computer are.

You can load Leopard on the PowerBook as long as it meets Leopard's requirements: 867MHz processor (I'm sure on this one), 512MB of RAM (I believe). Oh, and assuming you have a way to load Leopard: a DVD drive.

theres a way to get around the 867ghz, but you have to get at least 512mb of ram, and for a gig of ram for my powerbook it was 55 bucks on crucial, but eldiablo is still right, your going to have to provide the model number for us

Sounds like a Titanium model.
The keyboard will be black (well, dark grey), and most of the ports, including the power connector are in back behind a little panel. The newer 1 GHz would have an aluminum/silver keyboard, and most ports on the left side.
So, Leopard will be OK, regardless. The older titanium is limited to 1GB of RAM max, where the newer aluminum G4 will go up to 2GB.

i wish my powerbook could go up to 2gigs, i have the aluminum model 12in too. your lucky your getting that for free lol

I forgot about the 12-inch model, so your specs could be the 12-inch, which could change your plans,
So, 12-inch — or 15-inch screen?
The 12-inch has no space around the keyboard. Any 15-inch has space for speakers and other sensors on both sides.

yeah if its the 15-2gigs and speakers on the left and right side of the keyboard, also the powerbutton will be on the rights side right above the right speaker, if its a 12 in, like delta mac said, there wont be any space, and the powerbutton will be up top right about the eject button and F12.

Ooh — one of the worst Macs to replace anything inside - like the hard drive. There's also only one memory slot, which could let you add up to 1GB. It'll be a challenge to get that one working again. Good luck....!

I think the 256MB is the on board RAM. The 1 slot will get it up to 1.25GB. I don't know why even seasoned techs think the 12" is such a pain. I agree if your doing anything more than a hard drive they are HELL. But a HD is fairly straightforward. Easier than an ibook HD replacement. Just several different sized screws to keep track of and the risk of busting keys off the keyboard which if your not careful you'll damage them when removing them and won't be able to put them back on (some keys need to be removed to get to screws to remove keyboard). If you got it free, its worth putting a HD into and some RAM. Hopefully they gave you the installers with it to keep from getting a new version of the OS. I don't know if you want to go as far as HD, RAM, and 10.5?

Yeah djackmac your right, i have a powerbook, it has 256 soldered into the board, and you can install up to a gig, which is actually 1.25, getting the computer open is no big deal deltamac, all you have to do is pop off the F1 F2 and F11 and F12 keys take out the screw, and open up the memory model door, in there is a little black screw that hold the keyboard down, take that out and then the keyboard will slide off, one the keyboard is disconnected, theres a bunch of silver screws, keep in mind where you have taken them out from, because some of them are different lengths, after that, take out all the the screw on the left, right on top of your powerbook, then the silver case under the keyboard will come up, and your hard drive is to to the left of your trackpad.
thats all there is too it.
Good luck

I've had 4 or 5 of these 12-inch PBs brought to me after customers couldn't figure out how to reassemble. Nothing is more fun than a ziploc bag of screws and other hardware. :) They usually succeed in losing at least one of the keycaps, or breaking the plastic latches inside the battery compartment, which means that the top case just won't seat completely. Finicky little beasts!

Yeah, I gotten some ibooks in boxes after a failed HD replacement. Sometimes I'll get calls/inquiries on how to reattach the connection where the power cable from the top case of an ibook plugs into the logic board. (Ouch!)

I guess I'll have some fun this week. So the only way to get to the HD and memory slots is through the keyboard?

Back