Problem With Pkg And Mpkg Files

pyoko

Registered
For whatever reason, .pkg and .mpkg files refuse to open when double clicked on now. Mac OS X prompts me to choose an application to use to open them. It won't allow me to use /Applications/Utilities/Installer (For a start it's not in the recommended programs list) and if I force it to do it, it reports an error number to me. (-10814)

The only thing I did before it appeared to go awry is installed the latest nightly of Colloquy.

I'm running OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Cheers
-Derek

I have the exact same problem as you...

i tried to install the wireless mighty mouse software on my mac OSX 10.4.7 ( Latest version) and it wont open the .mpkg file for installation.... wierd...

some one tell me what should i do? i have stuffit expander and that does not work.... and i dont know what to open it with....

lol... that really suck for us i have the exact problem and i know quite alot about my comp but cant seem to download any pkg file, but when i open the dmg files they work, theyll download but then turn into dmg-pkg thats when i cant fully finish it and its becommin a problem cause i cant download programs like onyx and limewire ect.... there are 2 types of errors 10814-17530 (i use stuffit expander all updated).... plz anyone help us

StuffIt Expander should not be used on DMG files nor PKG files. Why and what are you using StuffIt Expander on those kinds of files for?

im using stuffit to unarchive limewire/onyx and they wont do anything after going from dmg files to either pkg or mpkg files, i tryd opening those types of files with stuff it.... (if stuffit program not good which app should i use) im having a really hard time cause of this my computer work really well either then this dum problem (i can download other types of files either than the pkg-mpkg)

oh yeah i dont really know another program to download those types of files they use to work fine with stuffit and now if messed up....

oh yeah i dont really know another program to download those types of files they use to work fine with stuffit and now if messed up....
Only if .dmg files were part of the contents of some other archive would Stuffit have anything to do with them. The .dmg disk image file format is properly associated with DiskImageMounter, a built-in MacOS X utility. It should appear on the Open with: popup menu in the File/Get Info dialog box for any .dmg file.

your totally right but that wat i cant figure out is wat went wrong cause that box pops up only for the dmg files then when there done downloading and they are turned into pkg or mpkg files thats when i get the stuff it windows saying exactly this :

"an error occured attempting to expand/volumes/limewire/install limewire.app/contents/install limewire.pkg"

and this is when i try downloading limewire obviously...... plz anyone help ive been trying for weeks now....

It sounds like you have StuffIt set to auto-expand downloaded files.

Open Safari, and under the "General" pane of Safari's Preferences, UNcheck "Open safe files after downloading."

Then, re-download the file. It should download as a DMG file. Double-click the DMG file when it's done downloading, and it should mount as a volume. Open the mounted volume, and double-click the PKG or MPKG file on the mounted volume to install.

ok i found out wat you meant u fix 1 part of the problem but the diskimagemouter only show up for certain apps unlike limewire which i still cant download and yes its for the right version and ive got it for a mac not windows... got any ideas...

ok but im using firefox and deleted safari i find it slow on my computer.... should i redownload it or is there another way...

So... Lime Wire downloads as a DMG file. When you double-click the DMG for Lime Wire, it should mount as a mounted volume. Does it or does it not?

yea it does, and when done another window pops up with a box that comes up with "install Limewire" but thats were im getting stuck it wont install after opennin the firts dmg file... thx for helping

it opens up as install limewire on the dock but then goes instantly away then goes to stuffit and trys to open it but then tell me that error from the above....

lol ill try right away and see if its works if not ill be back... thx ill take any advise at this time...

ok just completely deleted stuffit now its just the install limewire picture that shows up on the dock then goes away immediatly after clickin it.... dam im lost..

Back