remaining reasons for forcing us back into OS 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remaining reasons:

1.) Ray Dream Studio (My 3D app)
2.) Adobe Photoshop, for good speed
3.) OS speed in general, OS X is slower than molasses on my 333

:D Other than that I'm set.

Oh yeah...

4.) Fixing OS X :D

Since the release of 10.1.2, I have made it quite the effort to just MOVE and to bear the turmoil while it lasts and companies come out with programs.

Since then, I have used OS X 95% of the time and rarely reboot into OS 9.

My major issues are:

1) Photoshop (runs fine under classic mode, but obviously not as snappy)
2) Retrospect Backup (just released today, so awesome)
3) Dreamweaver (runs fine under classic)

Everything else has either come out for OS X or is in Beta. This is REALLY COOL, now if I could just get MySQL/Apache/PHP all running on my system. :)

On my wife's machine, she has a few more issues.

1) Adobe Press Ready (Postscript software for 1220c DeskJet)
2) Microtek USB Scanner support (haven't tested the waters w/ this one)

At least on #1 it forces her to reboot into OS 9 to print illustrator files to the deskjet using postscipt... and possibly for using the scanner.

Admin

I haven't booted into 9 since the day I bought my iBook six months ago.

However, I still have to use classic for RealPlayer and for the Palm desktop (waiting for avantgo support). Other than that, OSX is a dream.

I went ahead and installed X monday (after I saw iPhoto). Everything seems to work pretty good .. although I really want Real Player for X. What the hell is taking these guys so long?

SCSI SCSI SCSI SCSI !!!

everything sticking out of my Adaptec 2930U SCSI card
doesn't work - that in includes a yamaha 4x CD-r,
a Umax 1200 scanner, and an external HD.
My SCSI zip works fine though....

I'm thinking that apple isn't looking back
when it comes to SCSI... Firewire full ahead...

Real Player would be nice, seeing as how WiMP
just came out for X.

I also want Griffin to update it's iMate drivers
so I can use my old 4-button Kensington ADB mouse,
and old ADB keyboard (they just feel better).

Digital performer!!!!
All Audio apps!!!!
I love 9.1 it is fast and it never crashes on me
i just never liked having a swap file!!!!!!
at least in windblows you can turn the swap file off!!!!
you gota atmit that moast mac guys have plenty of ram
on there macs!!!so who needs a swap file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i used windows for along time untill i saw a mac
and i fell head over heals in love with the interface!
but when os x came out i jumped at the chance to buy it!!!
but then i found out it was a hell of alot like windblows
and it made me sick.
i mean the mac was the reason i quit using windows
im sorry guys i just dont think it atcs like a mac now
please dont flame me
it is just the way i feel about it

Scott - probably the same thing that took them so long to have a working mac version in the first place.

i'm not sure what it is, but at least it's consistent:(

I have a SCSI VXA Tape Backup drive and works great... especially with Restrospect. AH! Finally.... I can backup. I am going to do a backup of the Cube and do a complete restore to my PB... this way I can test it out and see if it really really works. :)

Admin

1. software airport basestation
2. file syncronization
3. ram disk

4. the last thing is not so much a reason to use OS9 on an up and running system, but one thing i really love about OS9 is that the OS9 install disk is much more than just an installer. the OS9 install disk can boot up a largely funtctional system even if the hard drive is corrupted, or altogether absent. this is great for troubleshooting a broken mac. you can boot from the CD and backup all your files to the network, even if the HD is not bootable. it would be great if this were possible with the OSX install disk.

these aren t reasons i use OS9, i haven t booted OS9 in months, but here s another feature that OSX is missing that OS9 had: scheduled startup.

it s true, you can do scheduled shutdown with cron, but what about scheduled startup? where is the easy to use control panel?

Have imac 333. Still need osx for usb cdrw Que, canon scanner, illustrator, photoshop and Quark. Anyone know if Apple will support usb cdrw in the future? Thanks. I really do not want to buy a new imac to get a firwire drive.

Stop whining ;) I have a 266 imac and I really don't have too many productivity issues. I can feel it drag but 256 ram helps a whole lot! My next upgrade will be for firewire, not neccessarly for speed increase because I am satisfied with where it is now. Just one thing tho:

M FREAKIN USB HARD DRIVE!!!!!
I bought it from Club mac, the manufacturer is Redialogic (I think or else Quantim Fireball, I can't tell from the case.) I emailed Club Mac (good tech support that they actually emailed me back :) and they said that Apple bought out Redialogic and hasn't put out drivers for it yet :( I can't imagine it could be that difficult to write a driver for a usb device and if I had any knowledge in the matter I'd hack a driver for myself.

Other than that I don't even start up classic.app but if I ever want to listen to an mp3 on my 30gig drive I have to change the startup disk and restart.

As always, email me if you know some loophole I can use to get this to mount troykoelling@hotmail.com

I boot in for games since apple have decided not to include support for my grafic card as they said. And that kind of makes me mad.
Other the that i run os x.
I can't be that hard to write support for my Powerbook G3 Lombards grafic card, I know that apple is trying to make everyone to uppgrade there computers but I don't have the money to buy a new computer :mad:

there are few reasons I get stuck using OS 9....NO ivisit for OS X yet for my firewire webcam works in OS X though with special drivers. Other reason is my scanner doesn't cooperate sometimes in OS X with Vuescan application.
It's just a old scanner. Of course Photoshop!!!!! I can't wait for the final version of Photoshop 7.0 circa in April.
p.s. I can play DVD movies in OS X just fine on my B/W G3...u have to get the latest OS x update to have hardware support on some Macs like B/W G3, older powerbook G3's, etc.

Hello!

I have not rebooted into OS 9 in the last couple months! Well, except for the fact that Classic still starts on boot. The only reason I keep Classic is:

1.) Adobe GoLive (OK, yes 6.0 is out, just need to pull together my pocket change for an upgrade)
2.) Photoshop (Well, only sometimes. I am using the public beta until they release the final version but some things do not work.)
3.) ResEdit (Apple will probably never make a Aqua-ized version of this but I sure wish some third party developer would)
4.) Various small shareware apps or games (Of which the authors are in the process of Aqua-izing)

That is pretty much all that is keeping me back.

Have a great day!

Albert

Two words: Unreal Tournament.

As soon as someone does a decent port of UT for OS X (the one that's out sucks!), I will probably never boot into 9 again. :) The only other reasons I might have to is if my brother or parents need to use an app that only runs in 9, or something.

Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back