Remove file

9nol

Registered
Hello,
Can someone tell me how to empty my trash folder .....
I have an old empty directory (OS X) which is unable to remove
it says I do not have the permission to do that !!!!

Welcome to the Forums.

Take it out of the trash.

Open the terminal and type:

cd ~/.Trash
<hit return>

sudo rm -rf

put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return

give it your admin password and hit return

Thanks for your reply !

The problem I face is that I Can not even move it out from the trash !!!
It says again that I do not have the required permission....

Nol :>)

First, go to the Utilities folder and run Disk Utility to Repair permissions. If that still does not do it, you have to check who has permission on that file. Click once on the file, go to File menu and select Get Info. From there under ownerships you can change who owns the file to you. Close the window, then empty the trash.

Here it is, I have tried your proposal. First I am unable to repair permission on this drive (firewire external drive - I run a iBook 500/OS X10.2.8), moreover I have tried terminal unix commands (see below) and I cannot enter my password !!!!!! It just does not display anything when I type it.... :>)

iNol:~] nol% sudo rm ~/Trash/Mac OS X Install CD

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:

You'll need to enter an adminstrator password to continue.

Well, that is what I am trying to do. But as I said previously there is no way to enter this administrator password. It is like the keyboard is frozen !!! only return key is working.

It doesn't show you what you are typing for security - in case someone might be looking over your shoulder, the password isn't displayed on the screen.

It really is taking what you type. You just have to be careful that you spell it right. ;)

Remove file issue
I have tried again and look what it says to me !!!!?????
It looks like this file does not exist. The problem is that it is there
when I open my trash folder.
sincerely yours,
nol

Last login: Wed Oct 13 07:45:41 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[iNol:~] nol% sudo rm ~/Trash/Mac OS X Install CD
Password:
rm: /Users/nol/Trash/Mac: No such file or directory
rm: OS: No such file or directory
rm: X: No such file or directory
rm: Install: No such file or directory
rm: CD: No such file or directory
[iNol:~] nol%

Almost there. Try putting Mac OS X Install CD in quotes, like this: sudo rm ~/Trash/"Mac OS X Install CD" You can not use spaces by themselves when entering commands in the terminal. Alternatively, you can try typing sudo rm ~/Trash/Mac (no spaces) and then hitting the tab key. Good luck!

Type this:

Type "sudo rm ~/Trash/Mac\ OS\ Install\ CD"

...without the quotes, of course. That should be, as macavenger suggested by pressing the "tab" key to auto-complete the command, what comes up on the command line.

Well, I have tried out all your solutions
but It seems that nothing happened.
It looks like a "ghost" file !!!

Nol

A ha! I think I may have the answer... it's not actually a file, is it? I think it's a directory -- in that case, go back into the Terminal and type:

rmdir ~/Trash/Mac\ OS\ Install\ CD

See if that works. If not, try:

sudo rmdir ~/Trash/Mac\ OS\ Install\ CD

and type in your password when it asks you for it.

I have tried again with your last message ..... and It still tell me
that there is no such file in this directory (Trash). It seems that I can see it,
but It is not there !!!!

HHHEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPP !!
Nol

Start up off of OS 9.2 and simply empty the trash. This worked for me when I had this same problem.

I have Started on OS9 and the trash folder is empty !!!!!
Then when I go back on OS X my "old friend Mac OS X install install CD" directory appears again in the trash .... It looks crazy.

Nol :>(

Back