Rhapsody on Virtual PC

I seem to be getting the same kernel panic as other people with the image from 'that' Carracho server. It happens on VPC4 in OS9 also, and on a real PC, which according to Apple's specs should run it fine.

I saw this image on that server quite some time ago, and it was marked as damaged, and there were no boot disks. I was wondering if they definately are the rightboot disks, and if the cd image is actually corrupt, or something like that.

has anyone gotten it running with a 600Mb toas image that was stuffed to 254.9Mb that they got from carracho? I also got the boot disks from there.

I have the same 600mb Toast image as everyone else, Racer pointed out that it is Rhapsody DR 1 even if the image is labled DR 2. Racer pointed out the DR 2 image is somewhere around 420mb or so. I will be picking it up tonight so I will up it to a Carracho sercver.

I started installing OpenStep 4.2 at 9:30 this morning. 10 hours 10 minutes later, I get the restarting computer screen. That's all it's done all day!! It had to sit on the front seat of my car running off the battery for a hour while I drove home!!

6 minutes to boot up? Why is VPC so horrible in OSX???

Why is VPC so horrible in OSX???

VPC takes up much processor time!! It tends to run slower on OS X because of the way OS X assigns each application processor time. OS X will give an application only so much processor time then switch to another task to keeps things running quicker. VPC is emulating another PC which requires virtually 100% of the processor. To improve speed make sure you have the latest updates (both OS X and VPC), and that you have no other applications running (especially iTunes, Mail, and AOL instant messenger!!). You may also want to quit the finder, although that shouldn't be necessary.:cool:

Correct Me If I'm Wrong On Anything:D

I've been using Nicer to up the niceness of VPC5, it make it run almost as good as in Mac OS 9 (and my processor is only a G3/350). What I do is start VPC without starting an environment, start Nicer and increase that niceness of VPC, quit out of Nicer and open up an environment (in the image attached below I'm running NEXTSTEP 3.3 without any problems).

Also to answer another question in another thread... all of my VPC environments are on my third partition, and when I was using an 8500 (with a G3/500) that had two drives I always kept my VPC images on the second (non-startup) drive.

Attachments

• nextstep-vpc5.jpg
    nextstep-vpc5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 40
So I'm a bit lost at this point. Has anybody identified a source for a DR2 Intel image? I found one listed on hotline, but can't download it (error unknown). I would really like to run this.

Ok a quick note for tonight I have DR1 installed here is a quick pic of it instaling.

I found the floppy boot images on os6 (carracho server) installed no problems just booting now : )

Attachments

• startup 2.jpg
    startup 2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 23
DR1 Starts booting and sits and sits at this screen : (

Any ideas network error

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 15
Try restarting. when you get the Rhapsody text boot screen (and it gives you 10 sec to make changes) type ?, and then type config=Default, this lets you get around the loading of NetInfo and other services. Then go to the configuration app and uninstall the driver for networking.

A second possibility would be to try it in Mac OS 9 (because VPC5 has some issues with networking in Mac OS X).

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the tip RacerX tried that now I get this error see enclosed pic.

Ok I think I know what it is I select a random ethernet card in the setup assistant.

Is their anyway to rerun the setup without reinstalling everything again?

I have also tried running VPC under 9 Big difference in speed I have a dual 1 GIG tried using the nice command but its like comparing chalk and cheese.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 20
I just read this thread all tonight I find it quite interesting. I would like to obtain a copy of Rhapsody to run on some of my old PC's I have sitting around and purge the evil that is windows. Nobody has yet posted any Carracho or Hotline server addresses that I noticed, if you could I would really appreciate it!

One more thing, this goes way back to where people made timelines of the OS, isn't A/UX relevant to any of it at all? For those of you unfamiliar with it is was basically like Mac OS X just with System 7 and Apple's version of UNIX knit together into one OS, A/UX (Apple UNIX). It only runs on a few select machines (namely some workgroup servers, quadras, and some in the Mac II series). It works strikingly similar to OS X, but on 68k machines! It has very little practical use anymore but is fun to tinker with for hobbyist purposes.

If anyone is interested, I ran across a ftp with A/UX 3.0.1 full install and 3.1 update CD images. You can find them here: ftp://ftp.geo.tu-freiberg.de
Web resources for A/UX are even more scarce than those for Rhapsody, I've only managed to find these few relatively useful sites:
http://ftp.mayn.de/pub/apple/apple_unix/homepage.html
http://www.nleymann.de/appleAUX/AppleAUXMain.htm
http://www.unixhq.org/au-x.shtml
http://www.mactech.com/articles/develop/issue_08/064-078_Morley.html

Enjoy!

StarBuck: I'm not sure where you would go with it from there. On every system I have worked with from NEXTSTEP 3.0 to Rhapsody 5.1, that command would at least get you into your system in default mode to change hardware settings.

kommakazi: Cool links, I love my A/UX system (a Quadra 700), and have had some great fun with it. The reason that I didn't include it in the short OS family tree I did was that I was only looking at the NeXT OS/Apple OS through to the last version Apple released (Rhapsody 5.6). A/UX was a unique project that was ahead of it's time. When Apple started using PPC systems, the cost of porting A/UX was too high for the amount of people using it. So what Apple did was they dropped A/UX and started to use AIX for their high end servers (with the Macintosh Application Environment, aka MAE, to run Mac apps on an AIX system). After that, A/UX didn't play a part in the Mac OS (sadly, because that was a ton of good info and research lost).

We have had some A/UX threads which I have posted some images, but I'll post this one over again.

Attachments

• aux-bonnet.jpg
    aux-bonnet.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 29
AIX would only run on the Apple Workgroup Servers (500 and 700 as I recall) which would not run any verson of the Mac OS. So these were PPC systems from Apple that were almost the same as the PPC systems from IBM. So no, other than the Workgroup Servers, AIX won't run on any other Apple PPC system. :(

I was finally able to get Rhapsody to install :D

Sorry for the crummy screenshot.

Attachments

• chess.jpg
    chess.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 24
Here is my favorite system (the one that goes with me everywhere).

Attachments

• favorite.jpg
    favorite.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 39
I wish we could tear off the menu bar in OS X like you can in Rhapsody. That would be so neat.

Attachments

• rhapsody.gif
    rhapsody.gif
    54.4 KB · Views: 30
Back