Safari with Tabs (v62 - v71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibi15

Official ai tenshi
Here you can see what safari with tabs look like.
It is a screenshot from v62 - which is bleeding edge, but unstable as hell.

Attachments

• safari_wtabs.jpg
    safari_wtabs.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 875
I wonder what it looks like without the brush metal look... that really looks good I might have to stick with the metal look if the aqua look tabs don't cut it.

Hmmm. I thought they were pretty ugly. :( The texts' bevels are much too harsh, and the tabs are, well, recatangles. If someone saw them alone, they would say, "ah, rectangles! I wonder what they do!" not "ah, tabs! I know what these do!" Familiarity is important to usability. I hope this is fixed before they release it.

The "close boxes," on the other hand, are a fantastic touch.

My ideal of single-window-multi-page web browsing was drawn up by someone once, I think in a review of Safari. It basically looked a lot like a cross between Chimera's bookmark drawer and Preview's thumbnail drawer. It featured little thumbnails of the page instead of tabs. Quite elegant.

- Brian

thats awesome, something I honestly didn't think would happen soon... of course Apple wasn't the first to do it, but Microsoft hasn't done it yet, and like pop-up ad blocking, not something I would expect them to do in their next release.

I'm using the Tabbed browsing browser now. Does anyone know how to bookmark all the tabs into one bookmark?

i am amazed that Giaguara hasn't pop in hear yet. i mean all i ever heard from 'em was "safari must have tabbed browsing before i'll use it!!!"

Originally posted by moav
I wonder what it looks like without the brush metal look...

It looks OK, although the tabs in the background seem to use a hard-coded theme. Check out the attachment. I've got a Smoothstripes theme, but you get the idea...

Attachments

• safaritabsaqua.jpg
    safaritabsaqua.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 380
Is it a theme you use to make windows with square angle, celeborn ?
Safari looks great with all its tabs. But I still thik Chimera is faster. Yeay !

Yes, the leaked builds of v62 do feature Tabs and AutoForms Complete, enabled via the Debug menu.

The tabs work quite well. They are not as aesthetically pleasing as the tabs in Chimera, but they are more functional, as each tab has a close button to the left of the text. Quite nice.

However, Tabbed Groups, one of the main reasons I use tabs, are not present yet. Time will tell if they will be implemented at all...

I haven't been able to get AutoForms Complete working, however. But the fact that the debug menu shows it means that it's being worked on...

Attachments

• safari_tabs.jpg
    safari_tabs.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 122
Also of note regarding speed:

Chimera still loads pages faster. Safari seems to be faster at rendering Cached pages though.

Also, Safari is much faster at scrolling than Chimera. I don't know if this will improve in Chimera when they move to the newer Mozilla rendering engine trunk...

I find the tabs in Safari quite appealing, really. At least better than using the tabs that Chimera uses, because they seem like an unintended use of Preferences Tabs to me... Integrates well with Safari...

I too must agree... I really like the tabs in Safari. That would be the last thing I would ask Apple to work on. I think Apple got a bit upset about all the work they put into the brushed metal look and how people where aquifying it (a bit odd since they also created that look, should have two options... maybe later on) Now they seem to frown upon the reaquification of safari. Mydemetalizer won't undo the brushed metal tabs so it looks a bit akward... oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back