Safari with Tabs (v62 - v71)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Jet
i am amazed that Giaguara hasn't pop in hear yet. i mean all i ever heard from 'em was "safari must have tabbed browsing before i'll use it!!!"

:p .. heh. Okay now I whine I want it to be
at least at fast as boosted Chimera and I want all the .. err.. personalizations I've done to Chimera as well in it.
I can't use Safari besides on password protected Woltlab bbs - I can't log in!! - So at the moment my second browser is iCab. Now Chimera crashes so little it doesn't disturb me. So when it'll be more stable, work with Woltlabbs and be at least as fast as my Chimera, I'll consider ..

IMO, Safari would be simply awesome with tabbed pages held in a drawer. I don't like the look of the tabs in those screenshots; they are too rectangular, single-tone, hard-to-read, and boring, and the close buttons should be aqua widgets.

Seriously, though, wouldn't you like to hold your tabbed pages in a drawer? Maybe a separate drawer for popups or something? New windows roll out to the right, popups from the bottom...

I figured out the Auto Forms feature. Actually, BlingBling3k12 did and he showed me. anyway. this pic should explain it:

Attachments

• autocomplete.jpg
    autocomplete.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 201
Still, I want Grouped Tabs ! I won't use Safari if I can't open my Forums tabgroup, ie. my five macosx.com rooms + desktoppublishing.com/boards + Carracho boards + xicons.com in one click !
I also want to be able to do the same with my News tabgroup.

Picture says it all. Done in one click, one. Ha ! Beat this, Safari !

;) ;) :p ;) ;)

If Safari gets tabgroups one day… I'll surrender.

Attachments

• tabgroups_in_chimera_only_hence_chimera_rules_bahaha.jpg
    tabgroups_in_chimera_only_hence_chimera_rules_bahaha.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 129
i second the "tabs in a drawer" idea. i think it makes for a much cleaner interface too. the tabs along the top, although common, are ugly in all browsers imho.

tabs in a drawer sounds ugly to me. I think of a drawer like mail and can't see how it would work for Safari. I kind of like the tabs as they are now.

HOWEVER:
This is not even a public version yet. Maybe this is their first attempt and they haven't put a lot of thought into design yet. Maybe they are starting with functionality. That's what i do when i build thing. I make them work, then make them pretty. We shouldn't complain to much as it's not available yet. ;)

no complaints. i'll take tabs however i can get em. but there are always personal tastes. when i think of drawer type tabs i think of how proteus handles multiple chat sessions. i like it.

1. Safari rocks, but it has no tabs.
2. Okay, it's getting tabs, but it has no tabgroups.
3. Ooookay, but...

Believe me, Safari is worth watching. The development since the first public beta is enormous. I'd love there to be a way to get those betas officially, but that's not the Apple way. CVS or at least nightly builds (since it's not open source) would be cool, but with new betas every few weeks, we actually SEE the progress better, I believe.

Originally posted by fryke
but with new betas every few weeks, we actually SEE the progress better, I believe.

Yea, i agree, with Nightlies, in the past, often features that were implemented weren't noticed, but with fewer updates, you really can see Noticable differences between current, and previous builds! :D

On a side note, i've never really used Chimera "That" much, and coming from the Dark side, not so long ago, umm... Tabs was still growing on me! ... i never realised it sorted the tabs into groups! Neat Feature! I really like the look of the tabs, and the "X" on the tab; to close a tab, is something i saw as common sense, that was lacked from Chimera ... an extra Right Click was needed! :eek:

...Anyhow, yes, with Autofill as well, this browser sure is coming on, in leaps and bounds! :D

NeYo

Safari tabs as shown above look great, but why aren't the tabs attached to the pages ?

When I look in my old paper cards, tabs are attached to specific pages, not to some upper "something"

I asked myself that, too. But I actually like how it looks, because like this it belongs to the UI (the 'metal parts', the 'hardware') instead of the 'screen':

tabs.gif

Maybe they're still going to change this feature, though. It's not like it's already been evolved much...

My thoughts too on those tabs.

In a way they are upside down. The tabs should be attached to the area they change. These almost look like they will change the toolbar and address field area rather than the actual HTML rendering area.

That said, I can see why they have done it that way as due the colour scheme of the metal look it wouldn't really work the other way round.

On the whole I think they look quite nice but I'm a little concerned we're going to end up with a new interface with every new app if this trend continues. That would be a bad thing!!!!!

I like the metal look but think Apple is creating a rod for its own back to a certain extent.

Has Steve got bored with Aqua?

This would justify Safari being brushed metal since with tabs it's a single window app ... :D

No specific hardware device relation though ...

Nope, not here. What password? The Admin password? If you keep getting this, look at its permissions, replace the binary and/or backup your prefs and delete them...

It works fine with me... goynang is right about the metal look, but maybe this is one limit of the metal concept, not everything must be metal... the colored button are not metal neither.

Another improvement would be to have the tabs behave like the dock: all small, only the one under the pointer in large... so that we can have tenths of tabs and still be able to read the current one. There was some 5 years ago a kind of experimental Finder at Apple that used this type on concept with kind of barrels to browse the files on a disk.

Have you seen that you can launch Safari 60 and Safari 62 at the same time... this was not possible with Explorer !

Originally posted by chevy
Have you seen that you can launch Safari 60 and Safari 62 at the same time... this was not possible with Explorer !

see attachement

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back