Safari with Tabs (v62 - v71)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. This .62 seems to become an infection so ..

QUOTE what you wanted to link. Do not link unless you are not linking to rumor sites, or that .dmg file, mac forums or to anything where that file could be found.

Please. :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thread continues (mainly) linkless.

Images ok. Links .. well ..

Originally posted by Ricky
If you hold the Apple key while clicking a link it will open in a new tab. :) Thought this would be nice to know, for all of you that use key commands while clicking. Also, you can right-click/control click and choose that option.

-EDIT- That's odd, it only does it sometimes with the Apple key.. :confused:
-EDIT EDIT- Ooh, but if you hold down the Apple key while selecting a bookmark, or hold it down the entire time you're browsing through a bookmark folder and select a bookmark, it will open the bookmark in a new tab. :D

That seems pretty standard... Explorer does all that without tabs (or bugs 'cuz it's a final release...).

Originally posted by arden
That seems pretty standard... Explorer does all that without tabs

ummmm.... I think the fact that it did those things with tabs was the entire point of his post.

Originally posted by jeb1138
ummmm.... I think the fact that it did those things with tabs was the entire point of his post.

Yeah, I meant the fact that it uses the command key to open new windows. I would love Explorer to use tabs, but it doesn't.

i hope apple focuses on getting stuff like 'border-collapse' and other such CSS commands working right before they spend more time on this stuff...

that said, i think the tabs are functional and pretty ^_^. i hope they support drag/drop soon.

Hm. Those up-pointing tabs make me wonder... Might they look better if located BELOW the browser area? Perhaps they could make top-vs-bottom selectable, kinda like the Dock location...

Originally posted by Greystroke
but yet they still ship a one button mouse....

:confused:

i just don't get it....

Wow. Are people still obsessing over this? Apple has been shipping a one button mouse for a lot longer than Microsoft (or their hardware partners) have been shipping two+ buttons. Cripes. That's just the way it is. And if Apple ever ships a two button mouse then everyone will start complaining that it doesn't have three...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
The tabs work quite well. They are not as aesthetically pleasing as the tabs in Chimera, but they are more functional, as each tab has a close button to the left of the text. Quite nice.

You really find the Chimera tabs to be more attractive? I've never much cared for them because I think they take up too much space and are too "fancy." I greatly prefer Safari's implementation where the tabs are simpler, take up less space and have smaller text. I think it is much more graceful, especially because it leaves me more space for the page I want to look at.

<em>I'm the guy that has always set his browsers to use only text in the button bar rather than icons so as to save space in the main window.</em>

I think more people would complain that it DOES have two buttons... anyway just buy a two button mouse ... I don't think you could even buy a non apple single button mouse :p ::erk thread going down the drain::

IMO, Safari would be simply awesome with tabbed pages held in a drawer... Seriously, though, wouldn't you like to hold your tabbed pages in a drawer? Maybe a separate drawer for popups or something? New windows roll out to the right, popups from the bottom...

Oh gods no. Do you really want to turn the browser into some sort of bizarre circus of windows and drawers and inspectors sprawling across the screen? Maybe you have a the 23" Cinema display and can afford this sort of thing, but I cannot. I much prefer my browser to take up as little room as possible and to keep everything contained in one window. What you suggest seems to me to be a horrendous perversion of a very clean and simple browser.

[...] and the close buttons should be aqua widgets.

No, they definitely should not.

Kind offf topic....

Two button mice ROCK! Apple should change. I know i can just buy one (which i did) but i think Mac swould be even easier for the first time user (or switcher) if they had right clicks.

But they have! ... I mean, you have all kinds of clicks: ctrl-clicks, alt-clicks, CMD-clicks, etc. Mostly ctrl-click corresponds to right-clicks. Apple does simply take another approach to the use of a pointing device like a mouse, preferring keyboard-mouse combo's where others use a plethora of mouse buttons. I'm quite curious about the relation of multiple mouse buttons to RSI...

BTW what is essntailly the problem? That Apple doesn't produce a beauty of a two-button mouse like the pro-mouse? Or that you have the enormous hassle of buying a multi-button mouse?

At one point, Apple's promotional materials bragged "Apple's mouse has only one button, so it's very hard to click the wrong one" -- promoting simplicity as a selling point. I still think it may have some value to newbies, but the truth is that there are a lot of things that are easier to do with a 2nd button (and the alternative is a lot of two-handed ctrl-clicking and so forth.)

yep, this thread has hit rock bottom when it turns to discussing the number of mouse buttons. :p

but i don't agree twister - i think beginners find the one button mouse much easier. maybe it would help switchers, but again, somethings are just best left for people to buy. if they included 2 buttons, then people would bicker over the shape, size, etc. (like they already do over the one button :D )

Anyway, about them inverted tabs -- anyone think being able to optionally put them below the content area might be worthwhile?

I still thought the little hockey puck mouse was the most ergonomic for myself. If they could have made that wireless and optical it would have been perfect. I think that was the only mouse I had ever used that after 2 hours of use my wrists didn't hurt.

But back to this topic, tabs shouldn't be on the bottom since we would have way to much wrist movement which may lead to carpal tunnel. I wish Apple would just send me a waiver as well as the government that says I will not sue them due to my using a keyboard or mouse. I just bought my girlfriend a logitech and in huge bold letters on the front it says "WARNING USE OF KEYBOARDS MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH" If a company has purposeful intent to harm that is one thing but with technology or new products or even drugs there is a chance that it may cause adverse side effects. For every action there will be an opposite reaction....

cars=convienence=pollution
fastfood=convience=fat men
teleporters=convienence=possible death

Why has the Dock 'got to go'? Ok, you cannot place it at the top of your screen, but you have the option for left and right. If it really bugs you there are haxies to give more functions to the Apple menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back